P500 New Shoes

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Received my new wheels and tires today.
ITP SS216 Matte Black 12x7
Kenda Bearclaw HTR 26x9 (4)
I will post B&A pics once mounted.
8ply Radials @ just 23 pounds per - will be interesting to see how they dig.
Research says they measure 26.5 and a true 9+" wide. We will see.....

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@500 Welcome, sounds like a decent setup. Need Pics Tho :)

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pics coming, hopefully tomorrow...

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Image My Pigs (p500 is the pig since my Harley is the hog my wife dubbed it so there it is) new hooves arrived just in time to get them on before hunting season. Went with Maxxis Bighorns 26-11-12 all the way around. Found a place that would ship them to AK for a decent price (Lytle Racing Group) I'll post more pictures once there on.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
View attachment 6014 My Pigs (p500 is the pig since my Harley is the hog my wife dubbed it so there it is) new hooves arrived just in time to get them on before hunting season. Went with Maxxis Bighorns 26-11-12 all the way around. Found a place that would ship them to AK for a decent price (Lytle Racing Group) I'll post more pictures once there on.
The pig will come to life with the new hoofs.Put bighorns on the Phantom. Love em.

Attachments

• 20150801_090612.jpg
    20150801_090612.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 394

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went for a ride yesterday evening.
Tires did well. The ride down the hard pack trails was smoother than I expected it to be. They climbed out of the slippery, wet creeks and washouts very well. I drove down into many washouts that would have stuck the OEM setup due to a combination of high centering as well as traction, and the HTR's did fine. My 5 never struggled to purchase any real estate. Glad I made the upgrade. Very glad I went with tires that measure 26.5". I'm looking into skids. Any recs on the SSS ? I read somewhere trash gets caught above the skid and can cause fire ? Any validation to this ?

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Got the new hooves on today Maxxis bighorn 2's 26-11-12 all the way around....no comparison. I have a fairly steep climb out of a creek with loose stream washed gravel and a washout that's between 6 inches to a foot deep that snakes back and forth across the trail, with the factory tires I had to use 4 wheel or the rear tires just spun. With the new tires 2nd gear 2 wheel all the way with only minor minor wheel spin when I crossed the washout about half way up. I have not tried them in any serious mud but what I did do they handled very well and I did not get as much mud slinging as I expected with the 11's on the front. They also did huge improvement on smoothing out the ride and over all handling. ImageImageImage

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Tires did well. The ride down the hard pack trails was smoother than I expected it to be. They climbed out of the slippery, wet creeks and washouts very well. I drove down into many washouts that would have stuck the OEM setup due to a combination of high centering as well as traction, and the HTR's did fine. My 5 never struggled to purchase any real estate. Glad I made the upgrade. Very glad I went with tires that measure 26.5". I'm looking into skids. Any recs on the SSS ? I read somewhere trash gets caught above the skid and can cause fire ? Any validation to this ?

Any full skid is capable of holding trash on top, it is a matter of cleaning it out if it does build up, the P500 does have some cavity areas where I could see "stuff" accumulating and if it was closed off the engine would not get enough air around it. I don't think it matters whos brand of skids they all can serve as a platform to accumulate crud on top just as they serve as a platform to keep the wicked stuff underneath and not bash up your machine.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any full skid is capable of holding trash on top, it is a matter of cleaning it out if it does build up, the P500 does have some cavity areas where I could see "stuff" accumulating and if it was closed off the engine would not get enough air around it. I don't think it matters whos brand of skids they all can serve as a platform to accumulate crud on top just as they serve as a platform to keep the wicked stuff underneath and not bash up your machine.

Correct. Can happen with any skid trapping debris superior of the skid. However, my comment was geared towards posts I've seen specifically naming the SSS skid having this problem - perhaps due to the lack of drain holes. It seems to be the best for overall protection, but I am a man who does his due diligence before making a purchase.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Correct. Can happen with any skid trapping debris superior of the skid. However, my comment was geared towards posts I've seen specifically naming the SSS skid having this problem - perhaps due to the lack of drain holes. It seems to be the best for overall protection, but I am a man who does his due diligence before making a purchase.

My SSS skid have the exact same drain hole / vent configuration as the OEM skids near the engine, but it does lack the many 1.5 inch hole of the OEM skid, the lack of the holes prevents it from getting caught on sharp rocks and ripping the skid plate.

SSS Version:
20150810 204140 zps0mypctif

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My SSS skid have the exact same drain hole / vent configuration as the OEM skids near the engine, but it does lack the many 1.5 inch hole of the OEM skid, the lack of the holes prevents it from getting caught on sharp rocks and ripping the skid plate.

SSS Version:
20150810 204140 zps0mypctif

Seeing you own it - makes your input invaluable.
How does it do taking a bashing and sliding over sharp rocks?

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
Received my new wheels and tires today.
ITP SS216 Matte Black 12x7
Kenda Bearclaw HTR 26x9 (4)
I will post B&A pics once mounted.
8ply Radials @ just 23 pounds per - will be interesting to see how they dig.
Research says they measure 26.5 and a true 9+" wide. We will see.....
Just ordered my today through mudthrowers.com 27x9x12 and 27x11x12. Ya got me wanting another set! LOL

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Seeing you own it - makes your input invaluable.
How does it do taking a bashing and sliding over sharp rocks?

UHMW material regardless of who's name is on it is without equal for durability, gliding over rocks / roots / etc. and much quieter than any aluminum skid plate. Aluminum "sticks" to the rocks and the machine does not slide nearly as easily, aluminum also bends, etc. and noise imagine the noise of rocks/ gravel bouncing off an aluminum pan vs a Teflon cutting board same principal of physics, going down fire/forest service gravel roads is much quieter with UHMW material skids. The above set for the P500 for $735 as pictured above (all 4 A-arm guards included) free shipping, ask for a forum discount.

Reactions: ohanacreek
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I agree with cleaning above the skid plate..however going from a 800 RZR to the P5 I will say this skid plate is SO much easier to clean, even during normal washing. One plus to having less inner fenders is being able to clean under the machine...another reason I love this machine!

Reactions: Fordman and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I agree with cleaning above the skid plate..however going from a 800 RZR to the P5 I will say this skid plate is SO much easier to clean, even during normal washing. One plus to having less inner fenders is being able to clean under the machine...another reason I love this machine!

Agreed X 10,000 IT should not take 4 hours o get all the mud off your SxS.

Reactions: SBuckJ
B

BryanC

Jul 17, 2015
Akfishbum - have you noticed a drop in power after adding the BH 2.0's? How is the steering? Any rubbing issues?
Thanks.

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Akfishbum - have you noticed a drop in power after adding the BH 2.0's? How is the steering? Any rubbing issues?
Thanks.
No noticeable power loss and I feel the extra traction will more than offset any loss. The steering has improved as did the ride quality. I'm still running 10 psi I have not played with adjusting it yet....when I worked for the state doing trail surveys I usually ran around 8 psi in the wheelers tires (Yamaha Grizzly 750's with ITP Mudlite) but this is a little heavier machine so I might stay around 9 or 10 psi.
No rubbing issues it seems to have around 2-3 inches of clearance when cranked all the way to the left and right.
So far I have done about 15 miles on the trails near my place nothing too technical but I am very happy with them.

The true test will start this weekend when I head out to moose camp....40-50 miles of tundra, bogs, and a couple steep rocky climbs over a ridge going in with the camp and the reverse coming out with 900 to 1000 pounds of meat if things go well. I'll post some pictures an give a review when I get back, but this is why I bought this little machine and the test I have done pulling my meat wagon full of logs around the property has gone well so I expect it will perform the way I hope, and that was with the stock tires and she seems to do much better with the Bighorns.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!