Multi New Tires. "Journey", "Trilobite", and "Ocelot" P350.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does anybody actually try to Buy American anymore? Or at least try Not to buy chyna Made shat? I don’t get how an American can get “excited” about a Chinese purchase. If you are forced because of availability on a timeline or just can’t find an American made alternative, fine, But to be happy with and talk up a Chinese product without batting an eye .......
This is not a rant, it’s a lifestyle that should be all of ours !
🇺🇸

Look...no one wants to send money to china...but that's practically impossible in modern life, in most cases.

Do you have a list of America ATV/UTV tire mfgs? I'll be happy to look into them next time. I already know about ITP...

An American UTV tire, try the ITP's. Dang good tires! Just priced some ITP Terra hooks, 30 x 10 x 14, $ 165 EA.

Good looking tire. Don't think those were around when I got the ones I have now, and nothing else ITP makes really toots my whistle.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Look...no one wants to send money to china...but that's practically impossible in modern life, in most cases.

Do you have a list of America ATV/UTV tire mfgs? I'll be happy to look into them next time. I already know about ITP...
s aer

Good looking tire. Don't think those were around when I got the ones I have now, and nothing else ITP makes really toots my whistle.
The ITP Back Waters are good tires also, the Terra Hooks and the Back Waters are deceiving in looks if you ride in the woods. The Terra Hooks work good in woods mud and last longer on dirt roads. Fixin to pull the trigger on my second set

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The ITP Back Waters are good tires also, the Terra Hooks and the Back Waters are deceiving in looks if you ride in the woods. The Terra Hooks work good in woods mud and last longer on dirt roads. Fixin to pull the trigger on my second set
Yes...but I'm in the desert. "Mud" tires get chewed up out here. I looked at the Versa tracks (or something like that), but they got very mixed reviews.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Also...keep in mind that all you 1000 guys...with all your dang horsepowers and low ranges...can run 30" tires. I will never run bigger than 26" or maybe a "small" 27 because the 700 just can't handle it. And those sizes are often being left behind by the new stuff coming out.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
DG your 700 will pull a true 27 with no noticeable power loss. It’s all I ran for 3 years on my 700 and it was mountain goat.

68A22215 66FF 4AFC B924 B8968E505F3F

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Carlisle
Interco
Pitbull

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Due to the weight or ratio? I know very little about desert riding but down here Mud Lites are great. Is there such a series tire for your terrain?
Probably both. It's not a problem down here in the valley, but I do still occasionally get up to 4500+, and it can start to run thin on the beans. One of the reasons I wish they made a 10" in those.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Get a longer gas pedal. HA! Isn't about time you went riding again and post some of those killer pictures? Love looking at them!
Supposed to rain Saturday and it'll be too cold to get wet, so probably none this week.

Reactions: Smitty335
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
UPDATE:
My rears are now near end of it, for the most part. The center has almost no tread, helped by the pinching effect of the wider tire. I've run low air pressure to try and help combat this, but you can only do so much.

The good news: They have about 2300 miles on them, so they did about twice what the bias version did. I also got no flats on the rear.

I did smoke a cacti at some point with the front. This led to some small leaks that would probably take days to leak down...but rather than shove numerous plugs in it, I opted to add slime, front and rear. So anything small would have been covered...but regardless, I had one major flat (unfixable and drove it flat) on my old 500 on the bias version, and fewer smaller sidewall cuts that required plugs on the trail on both it and the 700.
This radial version has had no such issues. I noted when mounting that they seemed more robust in the sidewall, and that has proven to be true. My only complaint is I wish the rear were available in a 10" width, or an ACTUAL 11" width to stop the pinching effect. Absolutely, the radial is with the extra coin here, and I recommend them over the bias version...or at least I would have...

The bad: I can't get them anymore. My plan would have been to get 2 more rears and wear the set out, since the front still has probably 1/2 the tread. BUT, Chaparral Motorsports is apparently in the process of changing house brands from Ocelot to Astragay or something like that, and the radials are discontinued with no stock left (I called). They may eventually show up under that brand, but no timetable for that. And the other "brands" this tire was sold under never offered a radial version.

I did find them under the Wanda brand (who likely makes all of them), but they have gone up $30 each since I bought them, and that puts them within reach of some other, more tempting tires (like Terrabites).

I'd have a hard time going back to the bias version now, but Tusk does make an "HD" version of those that will probably take care of the sidewall stuff (which I never had issues with in the rear anyway), but then I lose the ride of the radials. Another option is the SunF stuff (and it's various names) to get by, but I also worry about the durability of those, and they are also bias.

Decisions to be made...

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
From your pics and descriptions it seems the Terra Hook would be a good fit. I know you said you weren’t a fan but they seem to have quite a following

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
From your pics and descriptions it seems the Terra Hook would be a good fit. I know you said you weren’t a fan but they seem to have quite a following
I don't think I've ever commented on those, but they are a good looking tire. Those vs Terrabites?

Reactions: Backwoods
Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't think I've ever commented on those, but they are a good looking tire. Those vs Terrabites?
I know a couple of people with them and they are pleased. I hear and see enough they are a top contender for my next set. They are made in Tennessee. But people seem to like their Terrabites as well but I have bead locks and their inconsistencies don’t seal well with them although I like them

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!