Multi New Tires. "Journey", "Trilobite", and "Ocelot" P350.

MB_Rider

MB_Rider

Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2019
Swan River, Manitoba, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone used that green slim stuff to stop a slow leak in a tire and is it any good to use
It works to an extent. But if you gotta patch it it's a mess. I work at a tire shop and nothing is more of a pain in the @$$ to work on than a tire filled with flat stop. Just my 2 cents though

Reactions: crewcabrob
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It works to an extent. But if you gotta patch it it's a mess. I work at a tire shop and nothing is more of a pain in the @$$ to work on than a tire filled with flat stop. Just my 2 cents though
I'll add my 2 cents, so that adds up to four cents, I don't use the stuff, find the leak and fix it! The leaks I have usually take vulcanizing or a new tire! HA!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Once I again, I must reiterate how pissed I am that I didn't note mileage when installed these tires.

I'm very happy with them thus far. If there might be a downfall, it might be tread life, as these tires seem to made from a very soft compound, which is good at times...

BUT...after looking around some posts here, I've gone through at least 1+ oil changes since mounting them. So they have, at minimum, 700 miles, and possibly 1-2 hundred more. Not much pavement running, but where I ride is extremely Rocky desert that cane be almost like pavement at times.

Rear:
20191020 132104

Front:
20191020 132114

Which I guess isn't too bad for the wear. I will be rotating them soon. If they continue to do well, I will buy them again.

Oh, and 3140 miles...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Rock 1: Ocelot p350:0

Posted these in HFAWHA last week, so not news to some, but I clobbered a rock last weekend with my right front tire and ruined it.
20200119 114035 jpg

So at 3681, one is done. They look to be about 1/2 tread after spending the entire time on the rear. In fact, I just rotated them to the front before this ride.

The 2 have now been replaced with 2 new Tusk Trilobites, which I believe to be the exact same tire with a different name stamped on the side.
This really isn't the tires fault, as I was going much faster than I normally do due to low fuel conditions. And with the low pressure I run...AND the very solid hit that bent the lip of the wheel, it's little wonder. Had I enough fuel, I'm quite confident I could have limped it back to the truck (not to mention probably not having it happen in the 1st place). As it was, I ran it a few miles flat, and with only a little rubber dust inside to show for it.
I bought the ocelots for $69 each. This was cheaper that the rmatv stuff, but I guess they were on sale, as they're now $85 (essentially the same price as the Tusks). Ordered them Monday night and had them Thursday evening.

So...we start over....

Last edited:
B

buddy2014

Sep 29, 2020
Ownership

1. 500

2. Big Red
Got some ChapMoto Ocelot P350 in 26x10x12 a few days ago. This is the bighorn clone sold under many names (ie-journey p350, etc). They cost $304 shipped to my door. After finishing up well after dark, I'll give you the rundown...

Pre tires specs, w/OEM at 5psi. Tires have about 1/4-1/3 tread left. All are approximate...

GC: 9" to the bottom of the receiver, lowest preload. 10 1/4" at the bottom of the a arm tabs in front.

Track: F 50 1/2", R 49 3/8" (I have OEM rear tires/wheels all the way around)

Oem tires w/0nly weight of tire sitting on floor at this wear: 23 1/4"

I had heard that these tires run small, but that isn't really the case...depending on how you measure.
At the max load rating, 7psi, w/ only the weight of the tire resting on the floor, they were a full on 26 1/2" tall.
At 5psi...closer to where I will run them, they were 26". With the weight of the machine at 5 psi, they are closer to 25".

Post tire measurements:
GC: Rear at the receiver, 10 5/8", with similar gains up front.

During the tire install, I added 1" front, 1.5" rear wheel spacers.
Measuring track proved to be futile, but I got enough of a glimpse to confirm that adding 2 and 3" of spacers increased both ends by that amount (DUH!). I'm right around 52 1/2" ish front and rear.

So, went up 1.5", and went out 2.5". A nice balance, I think.

Preliminary ride in the yard: hurt my back a bit installing, so everything seems worse...but in reality, it does seem as though the ride has taken a good step in the right direction. And my old tires were usually run a 4.5 psi cold, so these new ones could probably go a pound or two lower, which will make a big difference...but I'll wait for actual trail riding before I make that call.
Can't say at this point that I notice the spacers up front in the steering at all...BUT, my yard isn't THAT rough.

Will definitely have to adjust my shifting for the slightly higher gearing. No biggie.

Getting done after dark means no real good pics, but I'll give you what I have for now.
Thing almost looks...mean!

View attachment 137257 View attachment 137258 View attachment 137259 View attachment 137260 View attachment 137261 View attachment 137262 View attachment 137263
is it necessary to spacer out the wheels ?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I want to resurrect and update this thread, since I am running the same tires on my 700.

Here is my original 700 post:
P700 - What did you do to/with your Pioneer 700 today?

They now have 1256 miles on them with minimal pavement, and this is what the rears look like:
IMG 20211017 160141949 HDR

Not too many miles left.

As I speculated in earlier posts, tire life seems pretty average. I don't recall exactly what I got on the oem tires, but it was pretty similar.

As far as puncture resistance, I'd say they are about average...maybe a little worse. I didn't really have too many issues with the 500 (minus the one I ruined earlier in the thread), but they haven't fared as well on the 700. All except one rear have multiple plugs, including in the sidewall. In the same conditions, I had zero issues with the OEM tires. I should note that I do tend to run lower pressures than some, and those sidewall punctures might have been avoided with higher pressure.

So would I recommend them? Honestly, for a lighter machine or ATV, I'd say they are a decent CHEAP alternative.

But...let me make an observation here: Are they really a better deal? These are one of a few "Big Horn" copies out there. Thanks to the incompetence of the current administration, they are about $10-15 more than I paid for them ( 26-10-12 is currently $96) If I ran them slick in the middle they might go 1500 miles.

By comparison, I ran some actual big horns on my original 700. In what seems like a missprint, but isn't, OG BH's in a 26x12x12 (the closest comparable size available) are now $216 each (!!!). In my last update on another forum, I commented that they looked like they were going to last at least 3-4k miles if not more. They are also radials, and the best riding tire I've ever ran, and one if two types of tires I've had zero flat issues with.
So...the trilobites cost half as much...but probably will last half as long (at best), and don't seem to have the puncture resistance or ride quality. Are they still bargains?

I should note here that the trilobites/ocelot p350 are also available in a radial or a 8 ply HD version that may have better qualities (and cost a bit more). My fronts still have good tread, so I may buy some of those just to wear out the set, but once that's over, I think I'll run something else.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The tires came in. They are supposed to be 11" wide, but unmounted they look way wider. To the point it might be an adventure to mount them on the stock 7.5" wheel. We'll see....

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Got the 2 new radial versions mounted and installed. Not too much hassle there.

I did something here I've never done before and left both tires at 30 psi for a little over 24 hrs...the tip you've probably seen on the interwebs. I had been reading that they were undersized and was concerned they wouldn't match up to the front. I have no ideal if this had any effect, if it was because of being pinched a bit on a small rim, or others are measuring differently, but they are definitely NOT undersized.

At 9psi, just the weight of the tire, approx 26 3/4" tall, mimicking the tires they copied.
IMG 20211102 193027786

IMG 20211102 193215365

Pinched In some, but not as bad as they looked un mounted.
IMG 20211102 193335843

Eyeballing, they seem about 11 3/8" wide. Regardless, they are DEFINITELY more than 1" wider than the 10" wide bias version .

These tires seem stiffer, and sure enough, they have a higher load rating...
IMG 20211102 193309420

I'm not sure about the wider tires. The 700 doesn't need tires that drag it down, but we'll see how it does.
IMG 20211102 194802029
IMG 20211102 194822361

The 9 psi was for comparison to my earlier sets. They will probably end up being run a little lower.

2635 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
These new tires are about 1.5" bigger than the fronts even on the machine. The fronts still have good tread. I know they are usually a little different, but the bias were pretty close front to rear. A quick drive in 4wd doesn't seem to bring out much difference than it always has acted/sounded. Pavement, obviously, gets a little more "grrr", but I can't say it didn't do that with the old tires.
I guess it's no real harm to run them, since 4wd is usually on used in low traction conditions anyway, but it kind of irks me and I'm seriously considering just buying 2 radial more fronts. <Facepalm>

At this point, I wish I'd just bought 2 more of the bias versions or a set of 2.0's, but this is the risk you run when mixing tires I guess. Nothing can be simple...

I tried the 30psi trick on the fronts tonight, but it actually pushed a plug out of the sidewall. How's that for style?

Last edited:
Reactions: lee
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Bought some rubber cement and applied it to some plugs, then let it cure. Hit 30 psi and was holding, so I went to the other side. While pumping it up one let go.😁

I must have been "tipping the corn" when I plugged that hole, because I had no recollection that it was the 1/2 size of my pinky. This is a lot of s*** for something that probably doesn't even work ( I don't see how it could, and if it did it'd probably destroy the tires integrity ). So I gave up and put them down to "normal" psi. Now the plug is leaking a tiny bit at that psi. Shouldn't have messed with it, but these plugs may be 10 years old. I have new brown ones coming that will seal it up nicely.

I suspect I will ultimately end up ordering 2 fronts soon. It just sucks because if I were going to outlay that type of cash, I would have pulled the trigger on genuine BigHorns.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
As I speculated, I ended up ordering 2 fronts. They are on.

IMG 20211116 184346408

IMG 20211116 184356568 HDR

At 9psi with just the weight of the tire, they measure 26 1/4.
Oddly, this matches what I got on new bias ply versions. Yet, on the machine with full weight, there was around 1/4 difference at 7.5 psi, front to back ( far, far better than the 1 1/2" between the old and new ). The rears have a ride on them and are squatting a bit more, being broken in, so I expect the fronts will do the same and widen that gap a bit, but it will still be far better. Probably could adjust that out with pressure without going outside what I want to run...
The other factor: my fronts were more worn than I thought now that I'm looking at new versions, though they still had good tread left.

As I mentioned, these tires have higher load ratings and bead seat pressures than the bias version, and seem stiffer, so hopefully they will be more flat resistant. And I'm hoping the radials have better wear, since I really didn't intend to do another set of copies, but we'll see. 2680 miles.

Speaking of pressure, I tried the "stretch" trick again with these, but this time I documented the height.
They started at 26 1/2" at 27 psi. After 24 hours, they were at exactly the same height using my measuring process. While I did not "leave them in the sun" as is usually instructed, they spent the day in my garage...in AZ...and if there were any truth to this, I feel like I would have seen something from this, and I didn't.

Reactions: 1border4manu
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Update on these tires:
If you're going to get these, definitely get the radials. Well worth the $10 or so per tire.

At roughly 9** miles we still have good tread...

IMG 20220330 194201499

...so it seems like we're doing far better than the posts earlier about the bias version. That's roughly 3/4" left in the center on the rear. This might be slightly better were it not for the fact that in a 26" size, these are 11" wide on paper (no 10" available like the bias version). In reality, they seem much wider than the 1" differ that should be there...to the point that the stock wheels pinch them in slightly, so the wear isn't as even as it should be. That's really about my only complaint about them.

And as I mentioned, they seem to have stronger sidewalls as well. I hadn't had any issues...until this past weekend anyway. I just shoved the 1st plug in the set. Right front in what was a tiny hole that was probably thorn or cactus. It had only lost a pound of air over the last few days. Still, a far cry from the very average sidewalls of the bials version.
Cactus or these thorn bushes were have here are strange sometimes. You can run through them 1000 times without issue, yet that ONE time it catches just right and gets through.

IMG 20220330 193448789

3578 miles now.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
About 1700 miles on these radial versions now. Still about 1/2" of tread left In the middle of the back...

20221130 201923

As I mentioned before, the tire gets pinched in a bit, so the edges still have good tread left. Definitely worth the price over the bias versions...and these tires have proven to be much more puncture resistant as well. About my only complaint is I wish the rears were available in a 10" width.

As you can imagine, the fronts are still very good.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does anybody actually try to Buy American anymore? Or at least try Not to buy chyna Made shat? I don’t get how an American can get “excited” about a Chinese purchase. If you are forced because of availability on a timeline or just can’t find an American made alternative, fine, But to be happy with and talk up a Chinese product without batting an eye .......
This is not a rant, it’s a lifestyle that should be all of ours !
🇺🇸

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Does anybody actually try to Buy American anymore? Or at least try Not to buy chyna Made shat? I don’t get how an American can get “excited” about a Chinese purchase. If you are forced because of availability on a timeline or just can’t find an American made alternative, fine, But to be happy with and talk up a Chinese product without batting an eye .......
This is not a rant, it’s a lifestyle that should be all of ours !
🇺🇸
An American UTV tire, try the ITP's. Dang good tires! Just priced some ITP Terra hooks, 30 x 10 x 14, $ 165 EA.

Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!