P1000 New to me 2016 1000-5... and Oops.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last week I found a used 2016 1000-5 about 150 miles from me that had 600 miles on it. Talked to the seller and worked out a deal, went and picked it up today.

It was in fantastic shape, had a soft top that I wasn't a huge fan of, I'd prefer a hard top. I figured I'd keep the soft top for a bit while I figured out what I wanted for a top.

Unfortunately, I missed the tag on the top that said not to tow the SxS with the soft top on.... got home, and needless to say I need a new top - that thing was SHREDDED.

I like the idea of a hard top. A buddy has the Honda plastic hard top on his, and he complains that it rattles (he fixed that with a pool-noodle). I'm wondering if there's anything better that I should check out for a top? Primarly plan on using this as a hunting rig and taking the family onto some of the off road trails. I'm not a mud guy, so I don't plan on doing anything with that.

Currently the SxS has the Honda 1/4 windshield on it. I'll probably pick up a full windshield to swap in for the winter hunts.... keep some of the cold air off my face.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Last week I found a used 2016 1000-5 about 150 miles from me that had 600 miles on it. Talked to the seller and worked out a deal, went and picked it up today.

It was in fantastic shape, had a soft top that I wasn't a huge fan of, I'd prefer a hard top. I figured I'd keep the soft top for a bit while I figured out what I wanted for a top.

Unfortunately, I missed the tag on the top that said not to tow the SxS with the soft top on.... got home, and needless to say I need a new top - that thing was SHREDDED.

I like the idea of a hard top. A buddy has the Honda plastic hard top on his, and he complains that it rattles (he fixed that with a pool-noodle). I'm wondering if there's anything better that I should check out for a top? Primarly plan on using this as a hunting rig and taking the family onto some of the off road trails. I'm not a mud guy, so I don't plan on doing anything with that.

Currently the SxS has the Honda 1/4 windshield on it. I'll probably pick up a full windshield to swap in for the winter hunts.... keep some of the cold air off my face.
I don't like my flip out.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, we have some pretty horrific temp swings. Summer is 115 during the day, on our hunt it hit 20 or a hair under.

Don't plan on using it much when it's 100+ out, fortunately winter is kinda starting here. Was only 82 today.

Spent a few hours removing the shredded top and straps. Prior owner had the tie downs for the top clamped under the LED lights and side mirrors he installed. I have a RIGID 30" light bar sitting in my garage that I pulled off my last truck and never put on my current truck. It might find it's way onto the pioneer. Would probably move the lights that are on the front to the rear for some rear lighting.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah, we have some pretty horrific temp swings. Summer is 115 during the day, on our hunt it hit 20 or a hair under.

Don't plan on using it much when it's 100+ out, fortunately winter is kinda starting here. Was only 82 today.
Very seldom does it ever get to 20 here, it only last a week or so when it does. The heat index will get to 115 here but it's a wet hot!:p

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very seldom does it ever get to 20 here, it only last a week or so when it does. The heat index will get to 115 here but it's a wet hot!:p
Same here. It's kind of cool to see first time northerners spend a summer in Louisiana or Mississippi. They truly think they are going to die. It's probably like us spending a winter in their AO.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love my superatv flip up. It seems pricey for what it is. It can be a little frustrating to install too. But being able to open and close it is nice. I have the oe Honda plastic top and I never had any rattle. It has hit a lot of trees already and is still in great shape. Only complaint is that it pools water up top when it rains.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New (to me) Pioneer... and my outgoing 1996 Honda TRX300 2wd.

Got the TRX about 5-6 years ago for next to nothing, I've probably put 300-400 miles on it in that time frame. Damn thing just always runs. Went to get it prepped for a hunt a few weeks ago and found that the front hydraulic brake system had completely failed; no clue where the brake fluid went, but it was gone. We checked for leaks and didn't find anything. Caused a few of us to scratch our heads for a while.

Went on the hunt with no front brakes. Let's just say that was an interesting life experiment. Got sideways going down a hill a few times trying to control my speed through some pretty damned large rocks. Decided that I wasn't going to spend the money to replace the whole brake system on the old quad, plus with a wrist injury a year ago it was incredibly painful to ride the damned thing.

Not quite sure how I suckered the wife into it, but the pioneer came home yesterday. Normally we don't have much wind out here; as luck would have it we had a 30mph head/cross wind the entire trip home. That was fun. Was really happy I was just towing this and not our travel trailer.

Prior owner used it as an expensive golf cart (their words) for their lake property.

Pics for pioneer and the outgoing TRX. Giving the TRX to a buddy who has a few of them to use around his property as a parts bike.

220E4CB9 A621 4CE8 AFB6 461B3D051EA6 33C76491 B61E 4694 A8EA 46AC2A569352

advertisement
annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from the first family ride in the pioneer. Wife and son had a blast, was beautiful weather for it.
I’m on the fence about putting a roof on it after that ride. Really enjoyed the airflow all around. That may change in colder temps, but at 62 degrees for the ride, it was awesome.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had no problems with my honda roof only bad thing a really bad thing, there is no gutter on front of roof so it drips down on your legs. They are extremely durable I use mine a a rub rail on trees. no damage no cracks and I've hit pretty hard on it . Keep that in mind when buying one, metal ones tend to get bent up pretty bad around here.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just got back from the first family ride in the pioneer. Wife and son had a blast, was beautiful weather for it.
I’m on the fence about putting a roof on it after that ride. Really enjoyed the airflow all around. That may change in colder temps, but at 62 degrees for the ride, it was awesome.
The Honda top does use quick clamps that allow for removal without tools. The alien shade is a plus too with and without the oe roof.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What kind of soft top was it?

The soft tops all say not to trailer with one, but most of us do with no issues.

was the Honda factory roof. Held fine at 65, but the last leg at 65 with a 30mph headwind probably did it in.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!