P1000 New to me 2016 1000-5... and Oops.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
was the Honda factory roof. Held fine at 65, but the last leg at 65 with a 30mph headwind probably did it in.
If the windshield was on, that might have hurt too.

You'll want a top at some point. Based on your last comments about not running one, maybe a soft top would be a better option, and just remove it during transport? Also cheap.

I've been pleasantly surprised with my soft top thus far (note that this is on a 700, not 1000). It held up to some pretty hard tree scrapes and trailering . It's much cheaper, and it doesn't hold sound in nearly as badly. I got one kind of thinking that someday I would put on a hard top, but if this one lasts a couple years, I might just stick with the soft top from here on.

Reactions: Mudwing
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can tell you my 2017 1000-3eps has a Honda real glass windshield. Best ever. Old poly scratched from sand and grit, got to where I couldn't see and threw it away. Since I installed the solid metal framed glass windshield I love it and leave it on year round ( -20 to +115) here in Nevada. The things you really need are soft doors or solid with roll-up windows and a heater. In hot weather or hunting the soft windows are rolled down except for rain. We rarely get too hot. I installed heat reflecting material under all the plastic and seat area. Haven't had a hot butt yet, even in Death Valley by Beatty, NV. Good luck. Oh, I trailer mine on a flatbed and tie a strap around cab to keep doors from flying off. Can do 65 all day.

Reactions: ChadD and TripleB
mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
I guess from what I have seen- you need to plan top with doors if you want both. Not all work together.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Here it does get a little bit colder than 20*. In the summer I've never ridden with it much over 90*. I have a 2016 1000-3 with the Honda hard roof and the Honda glass front windshield and the Honda solid back window. I don't have doors but every time I plow snow I tell myself to save up for upper doors but just haven't. I like the hard top with the solid glass front and rear windows.

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
I can tell you my 2017 1000-3eps has a Honda real glass windshield. Best ever. Old poly scratched from sand and grit, got to where I couldn't see and threw it away. Since I installed the solid metal framed glass windshield I love it and leave it on year round ( -20 to +115) here in Nevada. The things you really need are soft doors or solid with roll-up windows and a heater. In hot weather or hunting the soft windows are rolled down except for rain. We rarely get too hot. I installed heat reflecting material under all the plastic and seat area. Haven't had a hot butt yet, even in Death Valley by Beatty, NV. Good luck. Oh, I trailer mine on a flatbed and tie a strap around cab to keep doors from flying off. Can do 65 all day.

And this is a regional thing. I will never see sand blasting in NC ( well maybe at the beach) but tree limbs are a real thing. Heater... crap we get 80 deg in winter, lol. So, more air, more better here. I can put on clothes!

Kind of helps if you put what state ( or county!) in profile... not for quote, just OP

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a Honda 1 piece plastic roof that collects water in center. No issue though. Cut a 1x4 pine and wedged it in there. Working fine 2 years later. Also had to cut the roof overhangs to make it compatible with Honda upper canvas doors. Do what you have to do. No big deal.

Reactions: Smitty335
B

Bobbyh83

Nov 17, 2018
Magnolia
Happy with my Honda hard roof. Superatv windshield not so much. Nice it opens but bolts are already rusting (less than three months old) Instructions were awful. Need the $100 extender so it opens more in the heat. Ridiculous for what it costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Honda plastic roof. No issues at all with it. I travel 65 mph on the highway, it's stayed on so far.

Reactions: TripleB
advertisement
annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, ton of replies - that’s awesome.

well, after our outing I realized my fair skinned better half needs sun protection.

I’m going to keep the Honda 1/4 windshield for the summer months and will put on an 801 windshield for colder rides. The huge vents on it won me over.

for the roof, even tho it’s not my favorite, I’ll end up with the Honda hard roof. I’m not a fan of the rattles (will be fixed with padding) and how the water pools; but at the end of the day it’s probably going to be better for me than the metal roofs I was looking at. Really like the idea of metal, I’m just not sure how it would hold up to tree branches (creating sharp edges) as well as potential conflicts with windshield clamps. The Honda will prevent both issues.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!