ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Why didn't they just call it the Yamaha General? I guess it was smart for them to copy a super popular machine. And i'm sure the quality and durability blows away the General. But I was really hoping for a better version of the Pioneer instead of a better version of a General.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think a super wolvy was kinda expected. I was just looking for something else to be announced. The Viking needs attention bad. It's probably next.
I had heard a rumor about a belt-less transmission. Given the YXZ has a gear tranny, it seemed plausible.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After 25 years of snowmobiling, I'll do whatever it takes to never own another belt drive. I simply hate listening to a motor drone on the power band when I'm just cruising down the road, the DCT eliminates that completely - I'll deal with whatever other shortcomings a car might have.

As long as there's at least one geared choice, that's where I'll be putting my money. As wrong as I feel the YXZ's 5 speed is (they've tried every year to get it right and failed IMO), I'd buy one before something with a CVT. But Honda solved that with the dual range 6 spd. DCT and I don't see that going away before I expire. #oleguy

The roll cage on this new Yamaha has no rearward bracing, that ROPS will lay over backward like a cheap date with any frontal impact. :oops:

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's no different than the Pioneer ROPS on the P1k-3 or P1k-5
Yep and after seeing @ToddACimer come into takeover 19s crowd with the rops smashed in I added intrusion bars and braces in my factory rops. I saw that video and could see how easily one flop could do that let alone a small tumble down a rocky incline. Any of the factory machines I've seen dont have much for built in roll over protection.

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I was thinking of the 2 seater when I typed that, it has room for rearward braces. The 4 seaters have 3 vertical ROPS bars per side, so 50% more resistance to folding back.
I figured that's what you were referring to, but it is just like the P1k3:

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The videos show them really beating on the machine, talking about how tough it is. That part is very appealing, if it really is built to take abuse.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The RMAX has a nice interior, soft parts where knees hit I can appreciate, neat light up dash, bling bling. But still a CVT drive👎 heavy 1900-2040 lbs. with all fluids negate the HP bump. Priced accordingly to the bling factor. Definitely somewhere between the Pioneer 1000 LE & Talon 1000x Live Valve Edition. I'm sure it will attract those who stare at the dash and are impressed light up shiny things.

J

JTW

That's what I was kinda hoping too. I don't mind the belt too much, but like @CID I don't care for the constant rpm when it's not warranted.
Agreed... I do notice the slow cruise noise a bit more. But then again... I’m usually not just slow cruising.

Reactions: Vikes79 and Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda till the day I die, but these new Yamahas looking fire!
But you have to admit, Kawasaki and Yamaha are listening to the consumer, they are providing buggy's that don't need a bunch of accessories to have a comfortable trail buggy, especially Yamaha? Honda wake up. Did you see the extra toggle switch blanks on the RMAX2? That's thinking!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!