P1000 Newbie - Snow Plow

B

BruleBuggy

Oct 16, 2016
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Everyone,

I have been following this forum for the last 1.5 years. Almost bought a 700-4 but decided to wait for the 1000. I pulled the trigger and bought the 1000-5 Labor Day. Awesome machine. I'm trying to decide on a plow setup. Buy the KFI or wait for Denali from motoalliance. Any input? Thanks in advance.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club! We don't get much snow here but someone on here will give you the answer. Lol

O

oldskoolbuckets

Aug 8, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been in the same boat. I have the Trail Armor skids so I am waiting to see pics of either mounting plate installed so I can see what I'm dealing with. So far I have not been able to find one.

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
hotrodmitch

hotrodmitch

Oct 10, 2016
Canaan VT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, My buddies at Moore Dam Honda set me up with the whole Warn plow system. It works Awesome ! Just had to set the right angle on the plow, and I was golden :0)

D

Dasmoeturhead

I have been in the same boat. I have the Trail Armor skids so I am waiting to see pics of either mounting plate installed so I can see what I'm dealing with. So far I have not been able to find one.
I still can't get to my garage yet to get a picture for you. I don't understand your concern about the mounting plate. It just bolts on with 4 bolts. It in no way that I can see interferes with my trail armor a-arm skids. The plow itself hangs off that bracket with a couple of hitch pins, and the winch cable is attached to the plow to lift or lower the plow itself. Maybe I don't see the whole picture that you are concerned about. I do know that this set up (for me anyway) worked great last winter. I did a considerable amount of plowing. And in the spring I also used it to push all the gravel back onto my road where I scraped off more than I should have. The main reason I bought this P1K, was to plow and work around my property. Now that I have done that, the P1K has become very useful in my day to day life here. There is no way I could maintain my land without this machine. I don't care about heat coming up from the engine compartment, dust or whatever. To me its just a very reliable piece of equipment, that has never failed me. Its my opinion, and I do mean just my opinion, is that if you want more comfort, but a Jeep. Its probably cheaper, and almost the same size. I'll take a real transmission over a belt drive any day , I feel this P1K will last a long time. It ain't fancy, but the more I service and maintain this machine the more I see how strong it is.
Rant is over.

D

Dasmoeturhead

The member manwell shows the picture I think your looking for under snow plows. His P1 has the full trail armor skid plate and a arm guards. Now I can see your concern, if your also going to put a full skid plate on. Sorry it took me so long to understand. I got it now.

O

oldskoolbuckets

Aug 8, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly, I am just concerned about the forward portion of the full skids, not the A-arm guards.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the kfi plow 72 inch, with kfi mount. It installed with 4 bolts that are tapped into the frame, very easy to install. Plow looks well made. You will need a winch. Recommend a synthetic rope instead of wire, it won't bird cage and get tangled up like wire rope. Had it on my Rincón worked very well. JMO.

R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still can't get to my garage yet to get a picture for you. I don't understand your concern about the mounting plate. It just bolts on with 4 bolts. It in no way that I can see interferes with my trail armor a-arm skids. The plow itself hangs off that bracket with a couple of hitch pins, and the winch cable is attached to the plow to lift or lower the plow itself. Maybe I don't see the whole picture that you are concerned about. I do know that this set up (for me anyway) worked great last winter. I did a considerable amount of plowing. And in the spring I also used it to push all the gravel back onto my road where I scraped off more than I should have. The main reason I bought this P1K, was to plow and work around my property. Now that I have done that, the P1K has become very useful in my day to day life here. There is no way I could maintain my land without this machine. I don't care about heat coming up from the engine compartment, dust or whatever. To me its just a very reliable piece of equipment, that has never failed me. Its my opinion, and I do mean just my opinion, is that if you want more comfort, but a Jeep. Its probably cheaper, and almost the same size. I'll take a real transmission over a belt drive any day , I feel this P1K will last a long time. It ain't fancy, but the more I service and maintain this machine the more I see how strong it is.
Rant is over.

On my Honda Rubicon ATV it has a mid mount. Seems all the mounts are up front on sxs's. Does it compress your front suspension down a bunch when lifted?

I'm holding out for the Denali plow

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
On my Honda Rubicon ATV it has a mid mount. Seems all the mounts are up front on sxs's. Does it compress your front suspension down a bunch when lifted?

I'm holding out for the Denali plow
It doesn't compress springs hardly at all, ( less than 1 inch) not even close to what my Rincón would compress with a mid mount plow also. The suspension is much stiffer. As far as the Denali it think it would mount the same and weigh a similar amount, and would not compress any more than the kfi. I don't think the plow weighs much over 100 lbs, push down on front bumper you will see how much it will compress. Hope that helps

advertisement
D

davelohman

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I mounted my Western Impact UTV-V plow last week. Haven't needed it yet, but will post pictures next week. It's fully hydraulic, so it's a little heavier. I'll measure the spring compression this weekend.

Shroomy

Shroomy

Mar 25, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory UTV 1/2 inch skids and after staring at it for 30 min or so I decided to mount the KFI mounting plate over my skids. I had to elongate some of the skids mounting holes and grind out crescents from the washers and get longer mounting bolts. It seems to have worked but I haven't pushed any snow as of yet. I'll try to get some pics up later but the KFI plate is super simple and has 4 bolts that mount to pre-threaded holed directly under the winch. Hope it helps.

Chap45

Chap45

Nov 25, 2015
OUR PLOW WEIGHS THE FRONT DOWN TOO MUCH, WE NEED A STIFFER SHOCK FOR THE FRONT, ANY IDEAS?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Chap what kind of plow do you have? Define "weighs the front down to much"

D

davelohman

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Western impact plow with hydraulics. We need about 2 inches to acheive better clearance.

Yep, I have the same one. I love it, it failed me last weekend though with about 30 inches of very wet snow. (It rained on about a foot of snow during a Chinook wind a couple weeks ago)

I went by the Honda dealer about a month ago and the parts guy said that they didn't have anything. I've heard of spacers, but haven't seen any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

davelohman

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the load leveler shocks added because I carry a lot of wood with it. Now I wonder if they make the low plow clearance worse.

D

davelohman

Apr 20, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another issue I have is when I'm moving, either forward or backward, if I raise the plow at the same time, the clutch slips and the engine revs.

I'm running with only one battery. Would it make a difference if I used a secondary battery to power the plow?

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Davel: others had issue with clutch, while using the winch. supposedly second battery helped. I had issue clutch would not engage if trying to move from stopped while raising plow. If I started moving first, and increasing RPM then raised plow seemed to work ok. Others said clutch is controlled by voltage. To me this would make sense, voltage would drop when using winch, and and by increasing rpms, helped. I only use one battery. maybe someone else can chime in.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Hi Everyone,

I have been following this forum for the last 1.5 years. Almost bought a 700-4 but decided to wait for the 1000. I pulled the trigger and bought the 1000-5 Labor Day. Awesome machine. I'm trying to decide on a plow setup. Buy the KFI or wait for Denali from motoalliance. Any input? Thanks in advance.
If u want top quality go with boss or better Western impact here is mine
Screen Shot 5
IMG 0222
Screen Shot 5 Screen Shot 7

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!