P1000 No dash light? Gauges, but no light.

Rangejunkie

Rangejunkie

Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2019
Jackson, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright, first off, I did search for this, but couldn't find anything. I have a 2019 1000-5 and this morning on the way to the deer stand the dash light went out. The dash still works, just the backlight went out. Tried turning headlights on and off to no avail. I do have accessories, but they are all ran off a secondary battery with an isolator, and a solenoid feeding it's own fuse panel so it's completely isolated. The stock battery if for the bike only and hasn't been modified. Key on source is from cigarette plug in. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thank yall.

Leatherneck

Leatherneck

Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did the same thing every thing works fine but the back light only works sometimes.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Well this isn't good news. Mine was working fine but, tonight, I noticed the backlight is no longer lighting up. :/

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Mine is hit & miss whether or not it's on, so ... no idea and too busy with other things to worry about it.

2018 Honda Pioneer 1000-5

Sep 28, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright, first off, I did search for this, but couldn't find anything. I have a 2019 1000-5 and this morning on the way to the deer stand the dash light went out. The dash still works, just the backlight went out. Tried turning headlights on and off to no avail. I do have accessories, but they are all ran off a secondary battery with an isolator, and a solenoid feeding it's own fuse panel so it's completely isolated. The stock battery if for the bike only and hasn't been modified. Key on source is from cigarette plug in. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thank yall.
My 2018 1000-5 is doing it too. One time when I started it they worked again and then next time and now the dash backlight does not light. All gauges and info panels work though. Has anyone run this issue up to Honda HQ?

Reactions: Smitty335
Island Pioneer

Island Pioneer

Dec 6, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same problem, works intermittently. Anybody find a solution yet? it cant seriously be a cluster replacement every time... pretty expensive light bulb. Anyone got the old cluster to look at and see if it’s a bad connection or design flaw for the bulb/Led. anyone no how to get the cluster out? I kinda looked quickly but it doesn’t look like a quick removal. Any info would be great. thanks

Island Pioneer

Island Pioneer

Dec 6, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m an electrician, If anyone has pics or can post a couple pics of an old cluster maybe we can figure out how to fix the problem if it’s a connection/wiring flaw. sounds like it could be if it’s intermittent. I’m just to busy to pull mine apart if it’s a big job. Once again any info Would be handy. TIA

Sep 28, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All I could find out is that it is not an uncommon problem. I talked to my dealer/Honda service center and decided it would be cheaper to replace the instrument panel (part was $164) than to spend a lot of time trouble shooting it and then deciding to replace the instrument panel. Only issue is it took them longer than expected to replace the panel. I have a full hard cab and was told they had to remove the windshield to get to the instrument panel so it ended up costing about $600 including the $164 part - lots of labor time. I'm not sure I'd have replaced it if I'd known how expensive it would be but it's done now and works fine. Looking at the old instrument panel, it is a pretty straight forward plug and play part once you can get access to the back of the instrument panel. So it would be worth looking at yours to see if you can get to it and do it yourself.
I hope the light in this one doesn't burn out too, hopefully/maybe they (Honda) has improved the instrument panel backlight so it lasts longer. The back of the instrument panel housing on the new one looked a little different from the old / original 2018 panel.

Island Pioneer

Island Pioneer

Dec 6, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks #2. Do you have the old one still? If so any chance you can post a pic or 3 showing the back or sides etc.. Id like to see if it’s even something that can be worked on or just a sealed unit. I’m thinking maybe replace the LED with a different one independent of the factory one. Worth a look

Sep 28, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's what it looks like from the back from back view and when I removed the backing to look inside from the front view. I didn't go any deeper but I'm not sure there is just an LED bulb you can replace, but up to you...

IMG 0497 IMG 0498

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's what it looks like from the back from back view and when I removed the backing to look inside from the front view. I didn't go any deeper but I'm not sure there is just an LED bulb you can replace, but up to you...

View attachment 365748 View attachment 365749
If you take the screen off, there are 1,3, or 5 surface mount led's on the PCB.
I want to saw @Kilo427 swamped his at one point in time. I believe he soldered in a few LED on a roll in their place. If you look at his build thread "Tinker"(I think, it has been YEARS) it may be documented in there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!