boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
Took daughters P500 with us to the beach for the 4th holiday. When we unloaded she ran it about a 1/2 mile and came back and said it would not shift from 2nd in manual. She turned it off and about 30 mins later I get in to see what's going on and it will not start/turn over. Try shifting the paddles and nothing. So I get out the handy dandy shift lever and try from the bottom and it will not shift either direction. Long story short nothing I try works, discounted the battery nothing...Had to load it back on the trailer using the winch as it was locked it gear.....it was not fun. Any suggestions? Photo attached of Instrument panel.

Console

Reactions: rtn001
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Were you hearing the clicking when hitting the paddle shifter? I've had it do that to me if it gets shut off in gear, just rock the machine back and forth a little and it'll click down to N. Pretty sure it's an electronic issue, not reading the gear?

Reactions: rtn001 and Mudder
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
D
Took daughters P500 with us to the beach for the 4th holiday. When we unloaded she ran it about a 1/2 mile and came back and said it would not shift from 2nd in manual. She turned it off and about 30 mins later I get in to see what's going on and it will not start/turn over. Try shifting the paddles and nothing. So I get out the handy dandy shift lever and try from the bottom and it will not shift either direction. Long story short nothing I try works, discounted the battery nothing...Had to load it back on the trailer using the winch as it was locked it gear.....it was not fun. Any suggestions? Photo attached of Instrument panel.

View attachment 140346
Did you step on the brake, then turn the key to start?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had a similar problem on a Rancher atv. Rocked back and forth to free it. Good luck, hope its not something serious.

Reactions: rtn001 and trigger
B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
No luck with trying rocking back and forth. I just dropped it off at the dealer. They had to forklift it off my trailer. I will update with what they find wrong.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No luck with trying rocking back and forth. I just dropped it off at the dealer. They had to forklift it off my trailer. I will update with what they find wrong.
Best of luck to you sir. Hopefully it ends up being something inexpensive or warranty.

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
I hope it will be covered by warranty as this is the 3 time in with transmission problems with only 123 miles.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I hope it will be covered by warranty as this is the 3 time in with transmission problems with only 123 miles.

Wth, don't think I've ever heard of someone having that many problems with a P5. Must've been built on a Friday or something...hope it's something simple Boatman.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
I've had my 2017 p5 do the same thing in manual 2 times and in auto 3. Foot on break did nothing to help. Rocked it and it started. It just started this on my last two trips out. It acts like the gear position sensor is hanging up between gears, lf that makes any sense. I don't even know if that is possible. It sure will cause your backside to pull up tight when you are over 4 miles from help, with no cell service and the last 3/4 mile plus is not passable by truck. Looking forward to information on the cause and fix.

Reactions: Mudder and trigger
advertisement
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I've had my 2017 p5 do the same thing in manual 2 times and in auto 3. Foot on break did nothing to help. Rocked it and it started. It just started this on my last two trips out. It acts like the gear position sensor is hanging up between gears, lf that makes any sense. I don't even know if that is possible. It sure will cause your backside to pull up tight when you are over 4 miles from help, with no cell service and the last 3/4 mile plus is not passable by truck. Looking forward to information on the cause and fix.
Just happened to me!!

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
You guys are making me paranoid. But mine's had no issues in over 2600 miles.
Once you realise what's going on it's not so bad but you still wonder if it is going to start. That's the pucker factor. Mine has less than 500 miles. Not to wish bad luck on anyone, it is good to know I'm not the only one to have it happen to. At 2600 miles I can't believe you will see this problem.

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 never had this issue and it's going on 3300 Kms ,but i did have to rock it back and forth when it didn't want to go in gear once.
My 2013 420 did this a lot....Now i always put my 500 in neutral before i shut it off and use the handbrake..
I'm sure it's a small issue and you'll find that it's an easy fix..
I think Utahmurf is having the same problem and started a thread too.
What year is your 500

Reactions: trigger and rtn001
H

HondaTech

With the display showing a flat line the unit wont start no matter what.

The fuest Rancher DCT models did this alot if you spun the rear wheels without the fronts moving for a long time or if you locked the rear wheels up in a skid. They've seemed to fix that problem on those.

If you couldn't manually shift, makes me thing the shift motor is locked or the gears behind it are broken or lodged.

B

boatman22

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2016
Woodlands TX
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand
I wanted to update on what the problem was with the P500. Picked it from the dealer on the 19th. When I got there I asked what was the problem?......they replied nothing. Said they could find nothing when they got it in the shop. I said you had to forklift it off my trailer as it was stuck in gear. He said the battery was dead, I told him something must have drained it because I had to winch it on the trailer as it was stuck in gear. How did you get it out of gear? We just put a tech battery in and charged yours. Then he tells me I have to pay for 1 hour diag time as they did not find anything wrong. Needless to say, I was not happy and I was not going pay until I drove it. Test drove and the machine has never run better. Shifting was smoother than ever and no banging downshifting in auto mode. I paid and we took the P500 out on the trails this weekend. My daughter and granddaughter were really happy with the way it drove and shifted. This is like another machine.
So we get back today and I am filing the paperwork and on the second page( which I did not read till today) says it had 3 codes.

Attachments

• P500 service Invoice.pdf
    224.6 KB · Views: 218
  • P500 service Invoice.pdf
    224.6 KB · Views: 207
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
those codes most likely due to low battery. Had a Foreman electric shift and a low battery that was going bad drove me crazy. Would start but with low voltage would not shift. I had the factory battery go bad in my P500 and it would barely crank it over and start it but would not shift either. And actually my second batter is going bad now. Going to put a disconnect switch on the power to my bus strip under hood as the wireless winch controller is always on and drains the battery.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!