P500 No start question

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I have a new 2015 pioneer 500, yes basically new. I bought it used but has less than 2 miles on it, looks showroom perfect so there is basically no usage.

I drained the tank last fall and ran it until it stalled out. I turned it over to make sure all gas was out.
I filled it up this spring and it wont start, put some starter fluid in it and it fired just enough to burn the fluid. So I guess I have a fuel starvation problem.
I'm a backyard mechanic and would like to try and fix it myself before taking it to the dealer. What would you do first?
Oh, one more thing, I don't know diddly squat about fuel injection ;)

I know it would be easier to take it to dealer, but I'd like to at least try to fix it first just in case I have an issue with no dealer around.

Mark

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
When I turn the key without starting I hear a click_buzz_click.
BTW, I checked fuses and just changed the plug.
Still no start.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
When I turn the key without starting I hear a click_buzz_click.
BTW, I checked fuses and just changed the plug.
Still no start.
Sounds like the pump is running. Check wiring, esp to the injector. Maybe pull the fuel line QC off and check for flow (watch out!).

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
tried turning the key off and on and will pull the fuel line next. First I need to pull the rear fenders, rack etc to get the air cleaner housing off.

Reactions: DG Rider
M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry for the delay in getting back guys.
Check this, I get all the plastic off, rear rack taken off and I'm down to looking at the fuel injection and pump and then I remember.
The guy I bought it from also got an extended warranty that doesn't expire until December. A Honda dealer is about 10 minutes from my house so I scoot on over and he says bring it on in. So, I''m not touching anything more on it since it's under warranty.
I'm taking it in this upcoming week and they said 10 days to diagnose, which I expected.
I'll update you as soon as I know what's what.
Thanks again,
Mark

CptOvo

CptOvo

Sep 20, 2015
Canada, Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry for the delay in getting back guys.
Check this, I get all the plastic off, rear rack taken off and I'm down to looking at the fuel injection and pump and then I remember.
The guy I bought it from also got an extended warranty that doesn't expire until December. A Honda dealer is about 10 minutes from my house so I scoot on over and he says bring it on in. So, I''m not touching anything more on it since it's under warranty.
I'm taking it in this upcoming week and they said 10 days to diagnose, which I expected.
I'll update you as soon as I know what's what.
Thanks again,
Mark

Glad you remembered the warranty!

10 Days?! Wow - If my company did that I'd be out of business :D

Very curious to hear what they find :/

Reactions: RumpRocket
M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
They are busy.
They do other brands and more than off road. No big deal for me. I have an old 87 yam warrior to play around on until I get it back.
Mark

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Ok, just got the 500 back.
It was the fuel pump.
Honda covered it np under extended warranty the previous owner purchased and was transferable.
My 2015 500 has only 4 miles on it and it was deemed a factory defect.
I'm good to go.

Reactions: Bmurray
M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
This is how far I tore it down, it was a good learning experience in getting to know the machine. 8bd2552d51c59a943d8c4b602c459df2

Reactions: Bmurray
M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
FYI, not sure what it costs cause it came with the machine, but this service manual is nice and saved me a lot of guess work.
Just saying.
A4b3b95507b2ac8c9fbbad718bdf0df7

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI, not sure what it costs cause it came with the machine, but this service manual is nice and saved me a lot of guess work.
Just saying.
View attachment 78940

The first year manuals hover around $100ish. 2 year+ manuals, like a 15-16-17 are right around $50 new. But they are definitely priceless.

G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I had a no start situation this morning. I was taking a ride to our property and met the neighbor lady walking her dogs. I stopped to shoot the breeze with her for a minute and turned off the P5. After she left, l turned the key, no start. Stepped on the brake, still no start. I noticed that the gear indicator was showing a negative sign. Turned the key off and on a few times to no avail. So l popped the seat bottom off, unlatched the ECM, disconnected the three plugs for a couple minutes, reconnected and everything has been working fine since. What happened???

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I had a no start situation this morning. I was taking a ride to our property and met the neighbor lady walking her dogs. I stopped to shoot the breeze with her for a minute and turned off the P5. After she left, l turned the key, no start. Stepped on the brake, still no start. I noticed that the gear indicator was showing a negative sign. Turned the key off and on a few times to no avail. So l popped the seat bottom off, unlatched the ECM, disconnected the three plugs for a couple minutes, reconnected and everything has been working fine since. What happened???

Try adjusting your clutch.

D

Darryl Mann

Feb 28, 2021
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
My 500 did the same thing started fine just would not shift dash indicator was flashing N off and on, turned it off and restarted it twice then finally was able to shift into gear

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!