Noise Cancelling Headphones - Anyone use and recommendations?

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi All,

Regardless of model, does anyone have good experiences with noise cancelling headphones or earbuds?

I've seen a lot on the Rugged Radios, but honestly I've got higher priority items calling for my budget (snow plow, etc.). Been using foam ear plugs which help but not the most comfortable for long rides.

Thanks!

s

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Tramguage1 has some that ive used personally that are very nice and comfortable. I cant remember the name? He’ll pop on and let you know. Im gona get a set sometime here soon.

Thorney

Thorney

Mar 21, 2021
Minnesota / Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
I use Walkers game ears. It's all I have because I got them for shooting sports. Work good for me. I have no experience with any others.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t knock this but apple air pods pro are money, I mow with them, have shot guns with them and really do everything with them, they work extremely well.

The platronics I had were good but only lasted 2 years, bose didn't really work that well.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Don’t knock this but apple air pods pro are money, I mow with them, have shot guns with them and really do everything with them, they work extremely well.

The platronics I had were good but only lasted 2 years, bose didn't really work that well.
Pricey I see, but good investment if they offer good hearing protection….😎

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A Bose Bluetooth or sound isolating headset will definitely eliminate all the noise. I tired it.

I have significant hearing loss dating from my Navy service that has grown worse over time. I use a pricey Bose Bluetooth headset to listen to television.

I tried it in my buggy. With the Bose headset over my ears I started the motor and let it idle in the garage with the noise we expect. When I reached up and pushed the slider switch to turn on the Bose the noisy Honda motor went completely silent. I drove around the neighborhood with the Bose on for awhile. It probably eliminated 98% of the noise.

My Bose is about 2 1/2 years old and is already obsolete. I paid about $325 at Sams Club. I think this is the latest version of what I have.

Any product with the Bose name is outstanding but you pay for what you get. There are other brands available now for a lot less money but I don't know how well they work.

A cheap $15 plastic headset from Walmart works pretty well. It eliminates maybe 80 - 90% of the noise. I keep one hanging on my shift lever and put it on every time I get in my Pioneer.

It's even color-matched to my Pioneer!

If it is broken or stolen it's no loss.

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
When I used to fly almost every week for work, I invested in a set of bose noise cancelling headphones. They were life changing, made flying so much more pleasant. I'm sure they would work great for riding, but I wouldn't want to beat them up. They are well made, but probably not made for off roading

Reactions: Montecresto
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I personally don’t wear a head set or ear plugs, according to my wife I’m deaf (mostly when it comes to her asking me to do something) but for me, I like to hear the machine, it helps my know what’s going on and how to drive the buggy, (more BRAP or less BRAP ) but something you might try is a set of ear protection that a lot of shooters use that you can hear someone talking but as soon as a shot goes off they block the noise. I have these I use at the range, but have never tried them in the buggy. Just a thought, good luck in your hunt.

R

rickoshea

i have a set of mpow cheapo n/c headphones and a set of custom fit gel earplugs.the earplugs are in a league all of their own.if you can afford them,they're worth every penny.my work used to get us a new set every 2 years and every single guy in our department grabbed a set.

advertisement
L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks all. I also have some of the Howard Leight sport headsets for shooting and usually wear foam plugs as well. Might try them. Like the idea of a cheap set that I won't worry about from dust, theft, etc.. I have an 8 year old set of the one of the earliest Bose that was a gift, but still too nice for me to take in the Talon.

Found a guy on a Polaris forum who swore by these, so going to try them out as a middle ground between super cheap and top of the line Bose prices:

Will touch base after using.

Teebow

Teebow

Nov 21, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Talon X4
i have a set of mpow cheapo n/c headphones and a set of custom fit gel earplugs.the earplugs are in a league all of their own.if you can afford them,they're worth every penny.my work used to get us a new set every 2 years and every single guy in our department grabbed a set.
I use the mpow also , works great and not pricey

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks all. I also have some of the Howard Leight sport headsets for shooting and usually wear foam plugs as well. Might try them. Like the idea of a cheap set that I won't worry about from dust, theft, etc.. I have an 8 year old set of the one of the earliest Bose that was a gift, but still too nice for me to take in the Talon.

Found a guy on a Polaris forum who swore by these, so going to try them out as a middle ground between super cheap and top of the line Bose prices:

Will touch base after using.

Come back and tell us how well they work.

I think Bose can charge very high prices for their products because of their reputation for outstanding sound quality. We're only seeking sound isolation in our buggies so many other less expensive products may work great to block all the noise.

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Come back and tell us how well they work.

I think Bose can charge very high prices for their products because of their reputation for outstanding sound quality. We're only seeking sound isolation in our buggies so many other less expensive products may work great to block all the noise.
Exactly! I'm not looking for top quality music listening at all as I may rarely listen to anything anyways.

Bought some custom molding earplugs today at the outdoors store to combine with the headphones. When shooting, I very much like using foam plugs and the over the ear Leight protection.

Reactions: CID and Remington
L

Lloydtheredneck

Sep 14, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i wear foam disposable earplugs when i ride, mainly to keep the wind noise at bay. i hear the transmission whine and my tinnitus and thats it. pretty peaceful actually just my ears ringing.

Reactions: CID
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
20210605 085246
These are @Tramguage1 set up, I took a pic at TO2021 so I could get a set for us.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
View attachment 297458
These are @Tramguage1 set up, I took a pic at TO2021 so I could get a set for us.
I still love this system, can hear music thats bluetooth from my tablet. I can hear the wife when she talks and the UHF radio breaks in when someone talks. The PTT makes relpies simple.

Reactions: Mudwing and 906UP
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Hi All,

Regardless of model, does anyone have good experiences with noise cancelling headphones or earbuds?

I've seen a lot on the Rugged Radios, but honestly I've got higher priority items calling for my budget (snow plow, etc.). Been using foam ear plugs which help but not the most comfortable for long rides.

Thanks!

s
I use my airpod pro’s.

siri voice call my buddies for communication…..

nothing to buy.

Reactions: Tramguage1 and J80
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I‘ve used Bose noise cancelling ear buds with good results. Quiets things down a lot. They are more comfortable than over-the-ear head phones (especially in the warmer months) and nearly as effective in percieved noise reduction IMHO.

Reactions: lifeisgoodsteve
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!