Noisy Rear Brakes

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
At slow speeds the rear brake is making a grumbling noise! This began last week as I was descending down a very steep and rocky hill and was traveling very slow, maybe 1-3 MPH. I isolated it to the rear brake as it did the same thing when only applying the parking brake at the same speed. I washed the rear brake area and the noise stopped for about 20 minutes and now its back again, even on level ground. But it only happens on slow speed stops.

Took the P4 in for its first service and oil change yesterday. The tech said the brake issue is common and will go away with time.

Anyone have some insight into this?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I haven't looked.
Does the Pioneer have the rear floating rotor like the Rincon's had?
but I also heard they changed it to a single part too.

F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
Floating rotor?
Is it not attached to the drive shaft?
haven't heard a noise on mine yet but I only got a few miles.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
The older rhinos had this set up and it was terrible. It wore the pads quicker being exposed rather than covered by a wheel . There always seemed to be a drag on it. Yamaha went to 4 wheel disc brakes and only the e brake on the drive shaft. I'm hoping the honda single rear works better than the rhinos did.

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
This is my first SxS and it concerns me a bit as no-one else has had this issue. The Honda service guy acted like it was not an issue, but then again, he is not the one having a possible brake issues. When I pick it up from its check up I will let you guys know if I learn anything further. On another note has anyone used the ramps from long ramps.com? I need a set at least 9 feet long and they have them, they look good, but they are pricey!

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
If you google yamaha rhino 660 rear brake grumbling or noise I'm sure theres a few pages on it. Maybe read a few of them and see if it sounds like what's happening to you.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine will make a "grrrrrr" noise on occasionn. Yours is probably fine.

You gotta remember that shaft mounted brakes a) spin a 3x the speed of wheel mounted brakes, and b) transfer all braking through the rear diff/axles. This can set up some strange resonances.

I also don't believe for a minute that the brakes better protected just inches off the ground behind the wheel than they are up on the shaft. The extra rotational speed I spoke of is likely why they wore faster...and why Yamaha changed them. Time will tell with the Pioneer.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
DG Rider said:

You gotta remember that shaft mounted brakes a) spin a 3x the speed of wheel mounted brakes, and b) transfer all braking through the rear diff/axles. This can set up some strange resonances.

I also don't believe for a minute that the brakes better protected just inches off the ground behind the wheel than they are up on the shaft. The extra rotational speed I spoke of is likely why they wore faster...and why Yamaha changed them. Time will tell with the Pioneer.

As far as the driveshaft spinning faster causing wear, you are correct, that adds to the problem.
I have had 3 rhinos. The 06 had the same single rear brake. I removed it eventually, couldn't take it anymore. The 08 had 4 wheel disc no spacers on the wheel, brakes wear even all the time (except parking brake) . The 09 also has 4 wheel disc but also had rear wheel spacers. Rear pads get changed Twice before the fronts. To see if my theory was " believable " I changed the wheel spacers to the 08 and bingo, the 09 wore even and the 08 rears wore twice as fast.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
adnoh said:
DG Rider said:

As far as the driveshaft spinning faster causing wear, you are correct, that adds to the problem.
I have had 3 rhinos. The 06 had the same single rear brake. I removed it eventually, couldn't take it anymore. The 08 had 4 wheel disc no spacers on the wheel, brakes wear even all the time (except parking brake) . The 09 also has 4 wheel disc but also had rear wheel spacers. Rear pads get changed Twice before the fronts. To see if my theory was " believable " I changed the wheel spacers to the 08 and bingo, the 09 wore even and the 08 rears wore twice as fast.
So your conclusion is that wheel spacers cause rapid brake wear? ;)

I don't care for the shaft mounted set up myself...but i won't get too upset as long as it keeps working.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
"So your conclusion is that wheel spacers cause rapid brake wear? "

The more exposed to sand ,mud, etc , yes, the more your brakes will wear.

"I don't care for the shaft mounted set up myself...but i won't get too upset as long as it keeps working."

I agree , if i dont have any problems i wont care where its at either .

advertisement
F

farmer700

Dec 7, 2013
I guess we will not know until the first person changes the pads.

I looked at my P today. It is not a floating rotor. It is a one piece.
Yep, as long as it works it should be fine.

R

ranchhand77

Aug 19, 2013
Got my P4 back yesterday. Cost $220 for the first checkup. I will try to do my own maintenance from now on, but I was concerned about the brakes so I just pulled the trigger on having them do the checkup while it was there. Service guy told me that it is not that uncommon to have the noise issue like I am having. In a polite way I was told to basically deal with it and it will go away as the brakes break in. Something about the factory not being able to use asbestos in the pads anymore. I am sure there is more to the story I just wish I were not the only one with the issue. Maybe its the Arizona dust, who knows!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ranchhand77 said:
At slow speeds the rear brake is making a grumbling noise! This began last week as I was descending down a very steep and rocky hill and was traveling very slow, maybe 1-3 MPH. I isolated it to the rear brake as it did the same thing when only applying the parking brake at the same speed. I washed the rear brake area and the noise stopped for about 20 minutes and now its back again, even on level ground. But it only happens on slow speed stops.

Took the P4 in for its first service and oil change yesterday. The tech said the brake issue is common and will go away with time.

Anyone have some insight into this?

When mine was new (<20Hrs) it was LOUD going downhill steep or slowing down hard but as it broke in the noises quieted down, valve adjustment quieted the engine and now all I have is a squeaky bed but I am just too busy/lazy to take all that much time to try to fix it. I could probably loosen/tighten the latch and fix it.

U

usmcduncan

Jan 15, 2014
Mine also makes this noise you are talking about. Also in Arizona. I hope this is something that will stop after a while, because it is terrible growling sound, and it seems as if it is getting worse. I after the first 45 miles, the front differential started making an aweful squealing sound. Sounded like a dry roller bearing. I took it to a local Honda dealer, not the one I bought it from, and they found there was no oil in the front differential. The headrest also fell off after the first 3 miles I put on the machine.

My trust is going out the window with this thing, because it sounds like the rear end is going out. It makes the noise when you are rolling down a hill with your foot partially on the throttle. Kind of in the dead spot between the engine holding you back, and acceleration.

Please let me know if this is the same noise you guys have, or if I need to send the p back for another checkup!

Thanks

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
usmcduncan said:
Mine also makes this noise you are talking about. Also in Arizona. I hope this is something that will stop after a while, because it is terrible growling sound, and it seems as if it is getting worse. I after the first 45 miles, the front differential started making an aweful squealing sound. Sounded like a dry roller bearing. I took it to a local Honda dealer, not the one I bought it from, and they found there was no oil in the front differential. The headrest also fell off after the first 3 miles I put on the machine.

My trust is going out the window with this thing, because it sounds like the rear end is going out. It makes the noise when you are rolling down a hill with your foot partially on the throttle. Kind of in the dead spot between the engine holding you back, and acceleration.

Please let me know if this is the same noise you guys have, or if I need to send the p back for another checkup!

Thanks
Well...i get a noise at times when hitting the brakes that's a bit like a grrrrr noise. This is quite normal since the shaft mounted disc turns at over 3 times the speed of a wheel mounted disc.

However, the rear diff on the Pioneer is notoriously loud. Totally out of character with the machine. Check the fluid and be sure, but be aware that it makes noise when perfectly fine.
Google some youtube vids and you can actually hear it in most.

Here is a good example...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's mine in the vid, that was during break in and pre first service.

It has quieted down considerably since. The breaks growled LOUDLY at first. The pioneer rear axle has also gotten somewhat quieter. (solid axle) but it's no louder than my Chevy in 4Low.

I did drain the fluid at the first service and replace with Honda brand and specified weight. In front and rear axles.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
ohanacreek said:
I did drain the fluid at the first service and replace with Honda brand and specified weight. In front and rear axles.
I used synthetic in the rear just to try and quiet it down. It seems to help, but its still loud. I don't think its a big deal, really.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I dont think its a big deal either. However I am surprised by it as Honda diff's are usually quit. Sounds like my Rincon diff did after we replaced the bearings. You have to respace them or it will make that noise. toe and heal and backspacing.. whatever all the is.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DG Rider said:
ohanacreek said:
I used synthetic in the rear just to try and quiet it down. It seems to help, but its still loud. I don't think its a big deal, really.

I only drained it to get the metal out from the freshly worn-in new gears. Not to quiet it down.

I had a VFR800 it had timing gears instead of a chain. Gears whine, they are strong and don't stretch like a chain so, that's your trade off. Also not exposed to dirt but then you have a chain noise too. It's a machine, it's going to make noises as long as they don't signal damage or are exceedingly loud,I don't see what the issue is.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!