Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
410B4853 C0B2 494C B7E2 043F1478D610
So after trail riding earlier this month, I noticed my steering wheel making all kinds of racket. I kept driving it that way until yesterday when I finally couldn’t take it anymore. After taking the steering wheel off, I found the problem. The rubber seal under the collar was dry. Easy fix, took like 10 minutes. Just dab some white lithium grease on the seal.

H

HondaTech

Squeaks like a stuck rat dont it?

I always took the wheel off at set-up and regressed these, barely to no grease from the factory usually.

Reactions: Deluxe700
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Squeaks like a stuck rat dont it?

I always took the wheel off at set-up and regressed these, barely to no grease from the factory usually.
You got that right. I was honestly shocked at how dry it really was.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
mine doesn't make any noise yet,looks like I better check it before it starts.

H

HondaTech

Had a 1000 Saturday with this issue and was shocked to find the cover and seal already coated In grease.

Digging further I found the rubber boot covering the steering shaft input into the steering rack being the culprit. It was pretty obvious that this unit had been through some higher water though. Its possible it was dried out or had dirt under it. I hosed it down with penetrating lube and it lessened but would need pulled up and properly greased to quieten it completely.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had a 1000 Saturday with this issue and was shocked to find the cover and seal already coated In grease.

Digging further I found the rubber boot covering the steering shaft input into the steering rack being the culprit. It was pretty obvious that this unit had been through some higher water though. Its possible it was dried out or had dirt under it. I hosed it down with penetrating lube and it lessened but would need pulled up and properly greased to quieten it completely.
Pretty surprising considering Honda is usually on point with attention to detail.

pioneer_titan

pioneer_titan

Mar 13, 2018
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hadn't noticed that mine was squeaking until i read this thread, its a noisy machine as it is, but checked it yesterday and sure enough the seal was bone dry, one less noise to deal with now.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hadn't noticed that mine was squeaking until i read this thread, its a noisy machine as it is, but checked it yesterday and sure enough the seal was bone dry, one less noise to deal with now.
Lol, mine sounded like a pig squealing. Definitely noticeable.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!