P1000 OEM Bed Extender with Spare Tire?

1K5LE

1K5LE

Oct 19, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've searched and can't find any examples.... has anyone seen a spare mounted to an OEM Bed Extender? Anybody with OEM extender, do you think it would support the weight of a spare?

I realize I wouldn't be able to flip the extender into the bed to lay flat. Looking at the pics online I'm thinking a u-bolt and maybe spacers would allow a spare to be hung. Most aftermarket extenders with spare mount seem to be $500 plus. Advice is appreciated!

J

JTW

I've searched and can't find any examples.... has anyone seen a spare mounted to an OEM Bed Extender? Anybody with OEM extender, do you think it would support the weight of a spare?

I realize I wouldn't be able to flip the extender into the bed to lay flat. Looking at the pics online I'm thinking a u-bolt and maybe spacers would allow a spare to be hung. Most aftermarket extenders with spare mount seem to be $500 plus. Advice is appreciated!
Yeah it would hold it.. but it doesn’t lock into the down position so it could have some bounce if you don’t lash it down some way. If I were doing that, I’d probably run my ubolts thru a plate and have bolts or studs off the plate so I wasn’t putting all the weight on one bar of the extender. Does that make sense? Ideally a plate welded to the extender would be my first choice

1K5LE

1K5LE

Oct 19, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah it would hold it.. but it doesn’t lock into the down position so it could have some bounce if you don’t lash it down some way. If I were doing that, I’d probably run my ubolts thru a plate and have bolts or studs off the plate so I wasn’t putting all the weight on one bar of the extender. Does that make sense? Ideally a plate welded to the extender would be my first choice
Makes perfect sense, thanks! That's good to know that it doesn't lock down. I was under the impression that it did.

1K5LE

1K5LE

Oct 19, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Makes perfect sense, thanks! That's good to know that it doesn't lock down. I was under the impression that it did.
They have two little rubber straps to retain them down. But with the weight of a wheel and tire I wouldn’t expect that to hold. If you’re not in a hurry they come up for sale from time to time on here..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!