P700 OEM Winch Mount Kit (Wiring Harness)

tonyc

tonyc

Jan 3, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi, I am relatively new to the site and brand new to the UTV/ATV world. I purchased a 2019 700-4 DLX in November. I am getting ready to accessorize it with electronics. I am researching winches and was interested in the Warn but not necessarily the ProVantage model that Honda sells. I am interested in the VRX 45-S model. So my question is: Is buying the OEM Winch Mount kit worth the money for the plug and play wiring harness? I am assuming that the VRX (which is the updated version of the ProVantage) will wire in the same way as the ProVantage. But by purchasing the VRX model it already comes with all the wiring, just not set up for plug and play with Honda. I would already have to purchase the mounting plate which would come in the mount kit from Honda. I just don't know if that plug and play wiring harness is really worth the extra money? I don't have the machine at my house, it is at my cabin and I will be bringing it home to work on shortly, so I cant go and nose around the machine to investigate the ease of wiring. I also would also like to add other lights etc.. so would I be cutting into the factory harness at some point anyways?

Thanks in advance for the guidance. This site is a wealth of knowledge and is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi, I am relatively new to the site and brand new to the UTV/ATV world. I purchased a 2019 700-4 DLX in November. I am getting ready to accessorize it with electronics. I am researching winches and was interested in the Warn but not necessarily the ProVantage model that Honda sells. I am interested in the VRX 45-S model. So my question is: Is buying the OEM Winch Mount kit worth the money for the plug and play wiring harness? I am assuming that the VRX (which is the updated version of the ProVantage) will wire in the same way as the ProVantage. But by purchasing the VRX model it already comes with all the wiring, just not set up for plug and play with Honda. I would already have to purchase the mounting plate which would come in the mount kit from Honda. I just don't know if that plug and play wiring harness is really worth the extra money? I don't have the machine at my house, it is at my cabin and I will be bringing it home to work on shortly, so I cant go and nose around the machine to investigate the ease of wiring. I also would also like to add other lights etc.. so would I be cutting into the factory harness at some point anyways?

Thanks in advance for the guidance. This site is a wealth of knowledge and is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the club @tonyc, I hope you are enjoying your new Honda. You should check out the Honda SxS store on this site. Our fearless leader @Hondasxs is always configuring new plug and play items for us to purchase. He may have just what you need! Let me know if you don’t find what your looking for and I’ll dig a little deeper for you.

Reactions: Mudwing
tonyc

tonyc

Jan 3, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi Russ989,

Thank you! and thank you for the rapid response and advise. I have not yet searched the SXS Store. I will definitely check it out. If i don't have any luck I will be sure to reach out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
so would I be cutting into the factory harness at some point anyways
Welcome to the club.
No need to cut any OEM wires. I'm working to build plug and play kits for all models.

I have a plug-n-play adaptor thay you need to run your winch and/or other accessories.
KEY ON POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000, 700, and 500.

I have also found a source for headlight-on power if interested. Great for switch led backlighting or controling a relay based on headlights-ON.

But. I need some help testing if anyone interested in such.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
tonyc

tonyc

Jan 3, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you...

I was just looking at your Key On Power Harness, I am definitely interested in that! So you do not currently have a harness for a winch? It seems that the key on power harness seems to be the ticket and cleanest install for tying into factory wiring. The rest is mounting the components and running your wires and dressing them accordingly. So maybe that harness is a waste of money... Still trying to figure this all out without the machine in front of me. After this project I hopefully will be much more savvy of the electrical system of these machines.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you...

I was just looking at your Key On Power Harness, I am definitely interested in that! So you do not currently have a harness for a winch? It seems that the key on power harness seems to be the ticket and cleanest install for tying into factory wiring. The rest is mounting the components and running your wires and dressing them accordingly. So maybe that harness is a waste of money... Still trying to figure this all out without the machine in front of me. After this project I hopefully will be much more savvy of the electrical system of these machines.
Yes, the key on harness is what you need, it will power the winch only when the key is on. Whatever winch you get will come with the relay and power cables needed. Also, the site store sells winches as well FYI. They are not Warn but many of the members have them and are satisfied.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Most winch kits come with everything u need. After running the main power wires from the battery to the contactor then to the winch. And the switch wires. After this, it requires u to tap a 12v supply for switch/contactor control.

That's where this key-on harness will help.

Now there is cheaper oem options. But it's not quite as clean leaving hanging wires and what not.

tonyc

tonyc

Jan 3, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds pretty straight forward. What is the difference from the key on harness you sell vs. the sub harness from Honda?

I appreciate all the knowledge and advise...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The one from Honda is a little cheaper. But there seems to be so much confusion on which sub harness you actually need to do what. Then there is 4 or 5 wires that go different places.

I made this kit for the 1000. Which just happens to fit the 700, 500, and Talon all the same.

Reactions: Neohio and Russ989
tonyc

tonyc

Jan 3, 2019
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did notice the Honda sub harness has more leads. Any idea what the extra leads are for? It appears there is a plug and 3 bullet connectors. Assuming the 2 plug style ends are the connections between the 12v (cigarette Lighter) and the source. Do we know what the other 3 leads (bullet connectors) are for? Short of buying it and metering it out.. Now i'm just curious...

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did notice the Honda sub harness has more leads. Any idea what the extra leads are for? It appears there is a plug and 3 bullet connectors. Assuming the 2 plug style ends are the connections between the 12v (cigarette Lighter) and the source. Do we know what the other 3 leads (bullet connectors) are for? Short of buying it and metering it out.. Now i'm just curious...
Just for different factory Honda accessories.

R

Rerun7

Mar 19, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok, so I’m a total noob when it comes to wiring and am in a similar boat as the OP.

I’m looking to add a winch and a light bar. Will that harness run both or would I have to tap into a different wire for each accessory?

BTW - first post, just got home with a 2019 700-4 deluxe!

Reactions: Russ989 and Mudwing
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok, so I’m a total noob when it comes to wiring and am in a similar boat as the OP.

I’m looking to add a winch and a light bar. Will that harness run both or would I have to tap into a different wire for each accessory?

BTW - first post, just got home with a 2019 700-4 deluxe!
Welcome to the club!
how many amps or watts is the light bar you are looking at?
The winch is fine. The light bar we need to know about.
Let me know.
Thanks.

Reactions: Russ989 and Mudwing
R

Rerun7

Mar 19, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I haven’t even started heavily researching yet but probably something similar to what’s on my truck which would be 350w 29 amps

Not sure if that’s too big for a UTV. It’s a 42 inch curved bar. I could probably go down in size a bit if needed. I do quite a bit of night hunting so a good light bar is helpful.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok.
In that case. You would need to run a relay for the main light bar fed from the battery or other source.

The power wire above would be for the relay and winch controls.

Reactions: Russ989
A

akmarcd

Feb 27, 2019
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have the same 2019 machine and bought the Honda factory winch and mounting kit. This was my fourth winch install. My previous installs were non-OEM winches and kits. The winches were all the same and all were Warns and I found little differences other than the model numbers. The mounting kits were quite a bit different. The non-OEM kits were generic but the OEM Honda Kit was top notch. All of the cables were cut to length and wrapped with plastic sheathing and taped perfectly. The cable ends were installed with good quality boots (post covers). There was no need to cut into any wiring as "tees" were provided to splice into the wiring. The quality of the parts were very good and I felt like they made a good effort for wiring to remain unharmed. The install was straightforward but took some time. The most difficult part was the relay as access was tough. I installed it where the directions said and thought it was a good location. All cable lengths were perfect. FYI, Honda does not provide instructions but if you look up the Honda Part number online, you can print out the instructions. Both OEM winch and install kit were more expensive than non-OEM but the quality of the install kit was great.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!