OEM Winch Power Wires and other Questions

V

Vinnie11

Mar 10, 2021
Eastern NC
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi Guys,

New guy here on the forum and to SxSs. Planning on wiring up a winch and have read through many posts about doing it. Currently assembling the supplies needed, isolator, relays, fuse box, protective boots for connectors, etc.

Couple Questions:
  1. Is there only a Pos cable coming from the battery compartment or is there also a Neg? I understand the Pos is taped off and not connected, not sure how long it is, but noted it is located in front of the steering wheel under the hood.
  2. What gauge is the OEM Winch power cable? Ring terminal size? I will likely upgrade the gauge from the Aux battery to the winch relay, and to the winch motor.
  3. Does anyone have a favorite or recommend a Aux battery box? I plan to use the same size battery as the OEM, not planning on having a lot of electrical load besides at few lights and the winch. Probably don't really NEED the Aux battery, but WANT one.

I have the power On harness from this site plus a couple other goodies. My goal is to take the best ideas from all the info I can find and do a nice clean and simple install on the newly wired accessories.

Thanks!

Any info is appreciated.

-Vince

Reactions: Lady01 and TxDoc
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I can't help too much, but I did recently install a winch on my Talon. There is a ground wire running along with the positive wire for a winch. It is already connected to the battery, at least it was on mine. Not sure of the wire gauge, but I would guess probably 8. MAYBE 6. Not sure of the size of the ring terminals, but they were of the correct size to fit on the Warn winch contactor that I used. I would guess 1/4" or the metric equivalent. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck with your project.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi Guys,

New guy here on the forum and to SxSs. Planning on wiring up a winch and have read through many posts about doing it. Currently assembling the supplies needed, isolator, relays, fuse box, protective boots for connectors, etc.

Couple Questions:
  1. Is there only a Pos cable coming from the battery compartment or is there also a Neg? I understand the Pos is taped off and not connected, not sure how long it is, but noted it is located in front of the steering wheel under the hood.
  2. What gauge is the OEM Winch power cable? Ring terminal size? I will likely upgrade the gauge from the Aux battery to the winch relay, and to the winch motor.
  3. Does anyone have a favorite or recommend a Aux battery box? I plan to use the same size battery as the OEM, not planning on having a lot of electrical load besides at few lights and the winch. Probably don't really NEED the Aux battery, but WANT one.

I have the power On harness from this site plus a couple other goodies. My goal is to take the best ideas from all the info I can find and do a nice clean and simple install on the newly wired accessories.

Thanks!

Any info is appreciated.

-Vince
Mine was not connected in the battery box. The wire is tucked in on the top of the battery, I had to connect it to the starter solonoid in the the battery box. The ground wire is connected to the frame. Both ends are taped under the hood.

Reactions: Lady01
I

Irgu4u

Nov 22, 2020
OHIO
Ownership

1. Talon X
"Is there only a Pos cable coming from the battery compartment or is there also a Neg? I understand the Pos is taped off and not connected, not sure how long it is, but noted it is located in front of the steering wheel under the hood."

Geesh, why didn't I just check my email over the weekend to see this post?!? I spent hours on this same issue!

So, the SuperATV installation video tells you to go back to the battery box and find the positive AND NEGATIVE cables tucked into the box unattached, and attach them to the positive and negative terminals of the accessory module located directly above the battery itself. You are not connecting to the battery, but to the accessory terminals located 2 inches above the battery itself. I found the red positive cable back there, taped off, and hooked it up to the positive accessory terminal.

BUT THERE IS NO BLACK / NEGATIVE / GROUND WIRE TO BE FOUND THAT IS UNCONNECTED IN THAT BATTERY BOX LOCATION! ANYWHERE!

Because I am not that familiar with automotive wiring basics, I assumed I could not finish the project of hooking up my winch without that step of finding the unconnected black wire to hook up to that accessory terminal.

I then called my mechanic. He figured that the black cable was probably already grounded by the factory somewhere unseen. He told me to finish hooking up everything as in the video, try it our, and if it works then that means it was grounded elsewhere out of sight.

He was right. It worked. It was grounded elsewhere. Stop looking for the black negative cable back there and proceed.

Reactions: Lady01 and toddvdh
V

Vinnie11

Mar 10, 2021
Eastern NC
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the reply guys! I wish they had also ran a neg cable from the battery because winches are power hogs, but the frame ground should be sufficient. I'm planning on an Aux battery, possibly just the same as the OEM factory battery since I will not have a huge electrical load aside from the winch, which I don't plan on using often.

Does anyone have a favorite Aux battery box or are they all about the same?

• Love
Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Does anyone have a favorite Aux battery box or are they all about the same?
I’ll say generally within the same specs they’re all the same......generally......🤔

But it’s almost the same as asking what the best tire is or of the prudence of removing your sway bar.....😂

Good luck and welcome here....

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!