Off Road Ambulance

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This was one (of many) reasons we bought our P1K . An 89yo neighbor became delusional and started calling friends with spotty cell service telling them it was the end and then the calls would drop. By the time I was in the loop, it was dark, a raging blizzard, and all the roads blown shut with 2-4 feet of drifted snow. I managed to get a loader to clear to his house , but that took hours. He was OK, but really unable to continue living at altitude (8,800') with O2 issues. Having done CPR on his wife several years earlier for the longest time while EMS was on it's way (she passed:(), the next day I was on the phone to my dealer ordering a P-1K with tracks. It was the incident that helped finally trigger the purchase. Now it is ready all winter with a tow sled and stokes litter just in case.

Our local SAR has access to a Polaris 6X6 UTV for this purpose also. I suggest that using your equipment as a force multiplier is a good thing. let your local agencies know that you are willing to help out if needed!

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This is one of RRB rescue units, nice!
DSC 07222
DSC 07252

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good Stuff!
I am actually working on trying to get a GMRS repeater network set up for our area since it is fast becoming the go to communications method for 4X4 clubs, ATVs, and UTVs. We have a lot of 4X4, UTV, ATV, Sled traffic in our AO. When accidents happen, they tend to be very out of the way with no communications, causing very long delays before first responders are even in the loop. Add in crappy weather (often the case) and a patient has to be packed out causing increased delays in proper treatment. I have a call into one of our local EMCOM board members on this subject right now. If the 4x4, sledding, ATV, communities could get into the communications loop it would be a time and life saver.

I am privileged to serve on the management board of the fire prevention district that covers the Taylor Park Colorado and many other recreational areas and have a real good idea of the need. In addition, our EMCOM district also covers the Lake City, Hinsdale County area which are very popular riding areas. I'm hoping to see some real synergy on this issue.

Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOVE IT ALL,
Please post any other stories and photos.
Track install, sled set up are on this weekend (or early next weeks to do list). Not a favorite chore. I might as well take a few pics of "snow rescue" configuration and post.
The real message is YOU can make a difference! Ask any volunteer EMS, Firefighter. Many districts welcome the general public to drop by and get informed.

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
I wonder if they have something like that in Morganton NC lol. When I cut the trails wide enough for the SXS I had plan to go back and cut wide enough for rescue or brush fire truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Next county fire department uses atvs with a stretcher trailer, bumpy ride. They were getting ready to respond to a dislocated shoulder patient, and stopped all access to the park. I offered to shuttle crew members in the P500 but they were not interested, riding 2 up on atvs. Don’t know if its attitude or maybe too many legal concerns with good samaritans. Being an Ex medic you have to bite your tounge and follow the ICs decision.

Last edited:
Remote

Remote

Jan 30, 2017
Rocky Mountains
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Next county fire department uses atvs with a stretcher trailer, bumpy ride. They were getting ready to respond to a dislocated shoulder patient, and stopped all access to park. I offered to shuttle crew members in the P500 but they were not interested, riding 2 up on atvs. Don’t know if its attitude or maybe too many legal concerns with good samaritans. Being an Ex medic you have to bite your tounge and follow the ICs decision.

Guessing it is both. Our dept. trains.....a lot. Procedure and protocol become instinctual. Sometimes to the point where it takes precedence over a "better option" staring you right in the face. In a response, the tendency is to go with the known, practiced working method (2 up riding in your case) in lieu of the unknown (your transport offer). The liability issue involved with any offer out of the blue has to be evaluated on a need basis. My equipment is there for use of needed or wanted. I will add my son has been on our dept for 17 plus years and just left the assistant Chief post last year so I have a relationship with a lot of responders. If they decline any offers, so be it. Defer to to the IC like you said.

There are some responders that do have the "your just a civilian" attitude. It's bad management to let that arrogance into an organization. Those types usually just move on to more authoritative pastures.

advertisement
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!