Talon Oil change intervals

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The 600 mile oil changes seems to me to be way to little miles for and oil change. My hours are not even close to the change interval listed in the manual. Yet Honda wants oil change at the lesser number of hours versus miles. Just seems to be a waste of money and work.

H

HondaTech

The oil change interval is every 1200 miles or 200 hours.

H

HondaTech

Thanks that seems reasonable. I was fooled by the 600 wrench coming up.

The newer "service" icon was confusing for me at first as well. The Wrench by itself will come on at the first service (100 miles or 20 hours) then you'll get a "1" or a "2" next to it after that.

The number will indicate what service is due at that moment, the reference is in 100s of hours. The 1 or 2 is indicating an even(200,400) or odd number (300, 500) of hours. I'd probably base my servicing on miles and ignore the wrench icon. Honestly the oil/filters are the most important obviously, I wouldn't worry much about the sub trans or final drives. Just inspect them occasionally for water intrusion or loss of oil. The air filter does seem to get dirty before 600 miles, especially in dusty conditions. I've seen them smoked after 100 miles during the summer months.

Reactions: Jekinca
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The newer "service" icon was confusing for me at first as well. The Wrench by itself will come on at the first service (100 miles or 20 hours) then you'll get a "1" or a "2" next to it after that.

The 1 or 2 is indicating an even(200,400) or odd number (300, 500) of hours. I'd probably base my servicing on miles and ignore the wrench icon.

Seems like its still confusing.... that is VERY WRONG go read the manual its 2 different services that alternate on the 600mile/100hr interval, not odd or even miles.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Seems like its still confusing.... that is VERY WRONG go read the manual its 2 different services that alternate on the 600mile/100hr interval, not odd or even miles.
I'm thinking he mistakenly was in 500/700 mind mode when he typed that.

Reactions: ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm thinking he mistakenly was in 500/700 mind mode when he typed that.

hold on I read MILES not HOURS...

Half incorrect.... it SHOULD be odd/even hours IF they are changed at exactly 100hour increments but if you’re going by miles it will no longer be at 100hour increments.

My Pioneer says change oil every 1200miles but I’m not desert running but in rocky terrain where wear on engine per mile is higher. I’ve actually changed mine after every trip to TN without resetting the service alert, and at then EVERY service interval instead of every other so mine is not syncd.

I believe for standard oil changes and full inspection are every “2” interval and just a full inspection is every “1” interval

C

ckeele223

Apr 2, 2019
St. George, Utah
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 600 mile oil changes seems to me to be way to little miles for and oil change. My hours are not even close to the change interval listed in the manual. Yet Honda wants oil change at the lesser number of hours versus miles. Just seems to be a waste of money and work.
DAJO, I know it seems that recommended oil change is too early, but there is a reason that Honda's engineers made that recommendation, if you could see the particles of contamination in the engine oil at just 600 miles you would probably agree with them, there are a lot of gears and metal components and friction material that are all working together right now trying to " break in" and become compatible with the rest of those components, and it is the job of the engine oil to capture that contamination and suspend it until you can dump it out and start again, besides oil is cheap compared to a new piston or valve guides or a hundred other components. If you plan on keeping your machine, it is the one single best thing you can do to ensure your engine has a good chance for a long healthy life.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
DAJO, I know it seems that recommended oil change is too early, but there is a reason that Honda's engineers made that recommendation, if you could see the particles of contamination in the engine oil at just 600 miles you would probably agree with them, there are a lot of gears and metal components and friction material that are all working together right now trying to " break in" and become compatible with the rest of those components, and it is the job of the engine oil to capture that contamination and suspend it until you can dump it out and start again, besides oil is cheap compared to a new piston or valve guides or a hundred other components. If you plan on keeping your machine, it is the one single best thing you can do to ensure your engine has a good chance for a long healthy life.
Let's be clear here. There is no 600 mile oil change required/suggested by Honda for the Talon. The manual has the following service intervals:

Engine Oil and Filter - 100, 1200, 2400, 3600, 4800, etc.
DCT Filter - 100, 2400, 4800, etc.
Final Drive - 100, 1800, 3600, etc.
Air Filter - 600, 1200, 1800, 2400, etc. Yah, whatever. Try every 300!
Sub Transmission - Every 2 years regardless of mileage. This is crazy (as HondaBob pointed out, he can put 30K+ miles in 2 years).
Coolant - Every 2 years regardless of mileage.
Brake Fluid - Every 2 years regardless of mileage.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Let's be clear here. There is no 600 mile oil change required/suggested by Honda for the Talon. The manual has the following service intervals:

Engine Oil and Filter - 100, 1200, 2400, 3600, 4800, etc.
DCT Filter - 100, 2400, 4800, etc.
Final Drive - 100, 1800, 3600, etc.
Air Filter - 600, 1200, 1800, 2400, etc. Yah, whatever. Try every 300!
Sub Transmission - Every 2 years regardless of mileage. This is crazy (as HondaBob pointed out, he can put 30K+ miles in 2 years).
Coolant - Every 2 years regardless of mileage.
Brake Fluid - Every 2 years regardless of mileage.
The pioneer 1000 is 600 miles. Or at least that's when my wrench symbol comes on. I guess everyone would assume the talon is the same. I did.

H

HondaTech

The pioneer 1000 is 600 miles. Or at least that's when my wrench symbol comes on. I guess everyone would assume the talon is the same. I did.

Pioneer 1000 is the same oil change interval as the Talon. Why would the Talon, being a sport machine, have a longer oil change interval?

The service indicator is the same thing "1" refers to odd number hours and "2" refers to even number hours on the schedule.

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Pioneer 1000 is the same oil change interval as the Talon. Why would the Talon, being a sport machine, have a longer oil change interval?

The service indicator is the same thing "1" refers to odd number hours and "2" refers to even number hours on the schedule.
Yep I'm a dumbass as usual. Idk where I came up with that number but I've been changing mine every 600 miles on the pioneer and I've got 3300 miles. Oh well just wasted a little money.

H

HondaTech

Yep I'm a dumbass as usual. Idk where I came up with that number but I've been changing mine every 600 miles on the pioneer and I've got 3300 miles. Oh well just wasted a little money.

My GM had just over 2200 on his and he swears he's changed the oil 10 times. I dont think doing it too often is going to hurt.

I changed the oil in a 2017 the other day that had 1300 miles and it was pretty black and that customer had the 1st service done as well.

Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you are a putz like me... you will leave the key on overnite two or three times because you have used the winch or something.....
Then you can kiss watching the hour meter goodbye.... it doesn’t apply to anything anymore......

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you are a putz like me... you will leave the key on overnite two or three times because you have used the winch or something.....
Then you can kiss watching the hour meter goodbye.... it doesn’t apply to anything anymore......

So you know for a fact that the hour meter runs without the engine running? The hour meters on airplanes only run when there is engine oil pressure. I was curious how it worked on the Honda.

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes, on many machines the "Hobbs" time only counts up when there is oil pressure, or the ECM detects the engine is actually running, generally by the tach feed. It's odd that Honda would shortcut this.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, on many machines the "Hobbs" time only counts up when there is oil pressure, or the ECM detects the engine is actually running, generally by the tach feed. It's odd that Honda would shortcut this.

We really don't know for sure if Honda did that. Would be interesting to know but doesn't matter much.

Reactions: 1HasBeen
Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2018
Oklahoma City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We really don't know for sure if Honda did that. Would be interesting to know but doesn't matter much.
I know for a fact mine had 24 hours and 100 miles on it..... left the key on..... I thought it was weird also

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I change mine every 1500 miles ive got 14500 miles and have had no issues
Am I reading this right, you have 14,500 miles on a Talon? :eek: Or another Honda? Please excuse my Newbness. :confused:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!