Oil filter spring.?

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Changed the oil and in the diagram there is picture of spring in the owners manual. When II took the filter off there was no spring. Is this a misprint in the diagram?? I know I didn't lose it as I was very careful when I took the filter out. I am going nuts??? LOL

J

JoeyG

Sep 23, 2013
I changed my oil about a week ago for the first time. There was a spring in mine. When I removed the filter it fell down into the skid plate.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Changed mine last night for first time. The spring and every other piece is retained on the bolt if I palm the cap and grip the filter. I had to let it drain for a few seconds and use disposable shop towels, to keep from creating an oil slick under my seat, but it was the only way I could see to retain all the small parts and not lose them into the black hole of the engine area.

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Great! Guess I better get another one ASAP! Thanks for the reply, hope i haven't tore up anything.

R

randi 58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-3
spring in my

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Got a new spring on order.............

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Nice, I would hate for you to mess it up first few 100 miles.

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Hondasxs said:
Nice, I would hate for you to mess it up first few 100 miles.

I doubled checked and didn't drop it. I wasn't drinking when I changed the oil. I just don't know where it went. I already put 100 miles on it. Guess the worst that could happen is the oil isn't getting filtered correctly. It's running great. Just slap the spring on it when it gets here.

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Don't forget the spring. I got the part this afternoon and installed. I still swear it was not there when I changed the oil filter.............

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 1,116
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
glad to see you got it so quick. just in time to go riding this weekend!

M

motorman587

Sep 12, 2013
Hats off to Redhill Powersport and Honda. Ordered it yesterday and it was overnighted to dealer. Honda rocks, customer service outstanding.

hondaslob524

hondaslob524

Feb 4, 2014
Upper Michigan (yooper)
How many springs are in the housing? I just changed the oil for the first time. The spring that was on there was in between the bolt and the filter.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
hondaslob524 said:
How many springs are in the housing? I just changed the oil for the first time. The spring that was on there was in between the bolt and the filter.
Yes, Just one. It goes between the oil filter cover and the filter. There is also a washer that many people over look that goes between the spring and the filter. Put back together in this order= Bolt - Cover - Spring - Washer - Filter.

hondaslob524

hondaslob524

Feb 4, 2014
Upper Michigan (yooper)
Yep thats exactly what I did, thanks Hondasxs! I just cant see someone losing that spring without seeing it fall off. Makes ya think maybe motorman's ride didn't come with one in it.

Dick

Dick

Dec 29, 2013
N.B. Canada
I almost missed the washer the first time because it sticks to the old filter. I was looking at the filings in the filter and noticed the washer was still on it.

M

Mikedarrow24

Apr 11, 2021
New york
Ownership

1. 700-4
Don't forget the spring. I got the part this afternoon and installed. I still swear it was not there when I changed the oil filter.............
I just did my second oil change the first one was done by a dealer and I have no spring in mine

• Wow
Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!