P1000 Oil Pressure Light

G

gmroczek

Lifetime Member
May 12, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having an issue with my newly purchased, used 2016 1000-5. Just did a full service. Fresh oil and filters, oil level is correct. If i drive a fair distance at a decent speed and get the machine good and hot, when i come to a stop and idle the oil pressure light comes on. Any ideas?

H

HondaTech

Checked unit for clutch update. Also check battery terminals for tightness and there are a couple of grounds that could be loose as well.

Under the bed is the oil fill cover, remove it and there is an extra bump in the cover if the updated parts have been installed. If you can post a picture of the area I can identify it.

If the update has been done, then it sounds like the emergency valve is sticking or is stuck in the cover.

Has the unit been under water?

Reactions: Isaiah and TxDoc
G

gmroczek

Lifetime Member
May 12, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checked unit for clutch update. Also check battery terminals for tightness and there are a couple of grounds that could be loose as well.

Under the bed is the oil fill cover, remove it and there is an extra bump in the cover if the updated parts have been installed. If you can post a picture of the area I can identify it.

If the update has been done, then it sounds like the emergency valve is sticking or is stuck in the cover.

Has the unit been under water?

According to the guy I bought it from the machine had about 5 miles on it since clutch update when I bought it. Battery terminals should be tight and I checked the ground on the top of the engine and its tight. As far as being underwater I dont know what the guy I bought it from did but I have only had it up to the floor boards a couple times.

Id be interested to hear more about the emergency valve you suspect might be stuck. I read on an old post that someone had to add an extra pin to their oil pressure sender connecter after the clutch update for some reason.

Reactions: Isaiah
H

HondaTech

According to the guy I bought it from the machine had about 5 miles on it since clutch update when I bought it. Battery terminals should be tight and I checked the ground on the top of the engine and its tight. As far as being underwater I dont know what the guy I bought it from did but I have only had it up to the floor boards a couple times.

Id be interested to hear more about the emergency valve you suspect might be stuck. I read on an old post that someone had to add an extra pin to their oil pressure sender connecter after the clutch update for some reason.

I've never heard of the oil pressure pin scenario, sounds like a dealer blowing smoke.

On the clutch cover there is a large brass flat head screw. If the unit ever has a transmission problem you can use that screw to force it onto the 2nd clutch to get it out the situation.

Under that screw is an aluminum rod (emergency valve) that changes the oil flow to block off the 1st clutch. Ive had this valve stick and cause weird oil pressure light situations. The only way I've ever gotten it out is by removing the clutch cover and pushing it out. Most likely its scarred and is sticking.

G

gmroczek

Lifetime Member
May 12, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never heard of the oil pressure pin scenario, sounds like a dealer blowing smoke.

On the clutch cover there is a large brass flat head screw. If the unit ever has a transmission problem you can use that screw to force it onto the 2nd clutch to get it out the situation.

Under that screw is an aluminum rod (emergency valve) that changes the oil flow to block off the 1st clutch. Ive had this valve stick and cause weird oil pressure light situations. The only way I've ever gotten it out is by removing the clutch cover and pushing it out. Most likely its scarred and is sticking.

Is there a good chance that is what my problem is? Why would the valve be "sticking" if its used to manually switch over to the second clutch? I guess Ill look into replacing it

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Sounds like it could be the common "damaged O-ring" upon reassembly of the clutch update procedure. I've read that if the tech is inexperienced or not careful, this O-ring can be cut and oil will get past it, leading to a low oil pressure condition when the engine warms up and the oil gets thinner.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!