P700m4 Oil usage

D

Dobie

Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am going through some oil. about 1-11/2 quarts per tank of gas. no visable leaks, no blue smoke exhaust pipe has dry black carbon inside, checked my valves. Not sure what else to look at. any ideas?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am going through some oil. about 1-11/2 quarts per tank of gas. no visable leaks, no blue smoke exhaust pipe has dry black carbon inside, checked my valves. Not sure what else to look at. any ideas?
That's a lot if oil to be loosing internally without smoking. Impossible, really.

Have you checked the breather hose to the air box or the air box itself?

What year and how many miles/hours?

Reactions: swsebek
D

Dobie

Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
That's a lot if oil to be loosing internally without smoking. Impossible, really.

Have you checked the breather hose to the air box or the air box itself?

What year and how many miles/hours?
2014 and about 14,000KM or 8,000 miles. I had the air box out on the weekend snorkeling it to the front trying to cut down on the noise. nothing looked abnormal, maybey a little oil film in the box. when you see breather hose what are you refering to?

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
2014 and about 14,000KM or 8,000 miles. I had the air box out on the weekend snorkeling it to the front trying to cut down on the noise. nothing looked abnormal, maybey a little oil film in the box. when you see breather hose what are you refering to?
The one from the crankcase to the side of the air box.
If you are 100 percent certain there are no leaks then it may be time to do a leakdown test. I'm assuming you aren't seeing smoke out the exhaust.

I took a 2014 over 8000 miles ( at the time I sold it ) with zero oil usage, but that really depends on how it was treated.

Reactions: Mudwing
D

Dobie

Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
The one from the crankcase to the side of the air box.
If you are 100 percent certain there are no leaks then it may be time to do a leakdown test. I'm assuming you aren't seeing smoke out the exhaust.

I took a 2014 over 8000 miles ( at the time I sold it ) with zero oil usage, but that really depends on how it was treated.
I do think I take pretty good care of it. I do oil changes on a reg. schedule. I keep it in a heated garage.
Theres no smoke from the exhaust. I did not check that hose when I had it out. It is connected and in good shape. Im not sure what a leak down test is but i thik I remember an article on it somewhere.

D

Dobie

Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I do think I take pretty good care of it. I do oil changes on a reg. schedule. I keep it in a heated garage.
Theres no smoke from the exhaust. I did not check that hose when I had it out. It is connected and in good shape. Im not sure what a leak down test is but i thik I remember an article on it somewhere.
Did a quick read on the leak down test. Ill try that to be safe.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
A leak down test pressurizes the combustion chamber with compressed air and measures the amount of air that escapes. It's like a better compression test.

D

Dobie

Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree,Impossible!
You would see it dripping somewhere..
YA. I gave it a good look several times.I had all the plastic off around the engin this weekend and dont see any leaks.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Mine had the disappearing oil delimea too at about 6800 miles....think original owner might have over heated it. I'm a good mechanic and I checked everything and it ran like a top but never did figure it out. Rebuilt the top end with new cylinder, piston.....everything....problem solved. Still have the original parts and I had the Machine Shop check everything and they couldn't figure out why it was using oil either cuz everything was was within the published tolerances. New parts have an amazing way of correcting problems! LOL. If Honda had not warrantied the parts, I would have bored the original cylinder with new piston/rings which I believe would have solved the problem.

D

Dobie

Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine had the disappearing oil delimea too at about 6800 miles....think original owner might have over heated it. I'm a good mechanic and I checked everything and it ran like a top but never did figure it out. Rebuilt the top end with new cylinder, piston.....everything....problem solved. Still have the original parts and I had the Machine Shop check everything and they couldn't figure out why it was using oil either cuz everything was was within the published tolerances. New parts have an amazing way of correcting problems! LOL. If Honda had not warrantied the parts, I would have bored the original cylinder with new piston/rings which I believe would have solved the problem.
Thanks Vato. I think were on the same page. Im going to bring it in and have it rebuilt. Reality is its burning that oil somewhere.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I didn't see where you said you checked the spark plug to see what it looked like. I would think if its burning that much oil you plug would be showing signs of it.

D

Dobie

Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
I didn't see where you said you checked the spark plug to see what it looked like. I would think if its burning that much oil you plug would be showing signs of it.
No I have not got there yet. Hoping to tear the plastic off this week to make things easier to get at and do a compression test before I take it in.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
My plugs did not show signs of excessive oil usage, no leaks maybe a little bit of oil in engine vent It was a weird situation and oil usage was not as dramatic as yours. A a new top end solved my mysterious oil disappearance. Keep us posted this kind of stuff is fascinating especially to have another 700 experiencing excessive oil use like mine did...hmmm.

R

Ryan33

Dec 21, 2020
New York
Ownership

1. 700-2
Have a 2019 pioneer 700. Started losing oil after a couple hundred miles. Only noticed because it was shifting hard and then wouldn’t shift. Brought it to dealer while under warranty and they couldn’t figure anything out. Brought it home eventually lost oil again. Brought it back to dealer (2 months after warrant was up), this time they actually looked at the piston and said they could see scoring and told me my air filter was dirty. Honda won’t warranty the problem, blaming me for lack of maintenance because of the dirty air filter. Any suggestions, can a dirty air filter cause oil loss?

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Have a 2019 pioneer 700. Started losing oil after a couple hundred miles. Only noticed because it was shifting hard and then wouldn’t shift. Brought it to dealer while under warranty and they couldn’t figure anything out. Brought it home eventually lost oil again. Brought it back to dealer (2 months after warrant was up), this time they actually looked at the piston and said they could see scoring and told me my air filter was dirty. Honda won’t warranty the problem, blaming me for lack of maintenance because of the dirty air filter. Any suggestions, can a dirty air filter cause oil loss?
I wouldn’t think so but suppose it’s possible. I would be checking the intake boot clamps etc also. If you were able to tackle this repair, we’re here to help. Is there blue smoke in the exhaust? Or soot in the spark arrester? Oh and welcome to the club. 😎

Reactions: Backwoods
R

Ryan33

Dec 21, 2020
New York
Ownership

1. 700-2
No blue smoke, no oil underneath it where it’s parked. Not sure bout the soot in the spark arrester.I know the basics but not a mechanic. Thanks

R

Randy Walker

Oct 8, 2021
Gilbert Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2019 Honda 700 side by side that the oil is disappearing in also. No smoke and no leaks Oil has been changed on regular basis and I am not rough on it at all. Anyone know what the problem could be

M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm having the same problem. Original owner with 4700 miles on a 2016. Wrote to Honda a year ago. Never heard anything back. How did you get assistance?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!