P1000m5 Oil usage

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 1000-5. It was a carryover model and is approaching 400 miles. I did the initial 100 mile oil change and put the The 6+ recommended that were recommended. I ran it a few minutes and then checked the oil. Probably added a couple more tenths of a quart to get it on the dipstick. I have had to add a marginal amount two times since then. I don’t think it’s leaking anywhere as I store it on top of a light colored piece of carpet in my garage and there are no stains. It could be though when I’m driving it. A Honda engine shouldn’t burn any oil should it? Anyone else have this problem? I’m planning on changing the oil again at 400 miles and will double and triple check the seals on the filter cover but I do not see any signs of oil there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 0860silverado
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hum...
I don't recall anyone having oil burn issues. Well,... Maybe 1, Hard to remember.
Any residue inside the pipe suggesting it is burning oil?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 2016 1000-5. It was a carryover model and is approaching 400 miles. I did the initial 100 mile oil change and put the The 6+ recommended that were recommended. I ran it a few minutes and then checked the oil. Probably added a couple more tenths of a quart to get it on the dipstick. I have had to add a marginal amount two times since then. I don’t think it’s leaking anywhere as I store it on top of a light colored piece of carpet in my garage and there are no stains. It could be though when I’m driving it. A Honda engine shouldn’t burn any oil should it? Anyone else have this problem? I’m planning on changing the oil again at 400 miles and will double and triple check the seals on the filter cover but I do not see any signs of oil there.

I wouldn't worry yet. An engine with that few miles is still seating it's oil rings. Are you running Honda GN4 oil? I ask because if you are running a synthetic oil, the molecules are so small and so slick that your oil rings may never seat properly, (speaking from experience on a pick-up I once had).

Last edited:
S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am running the GN4 10w40 from Honda. Thanks for the knowledge.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Hmmm... I'd say it's burning it and not leaking. That machine holds more oil than my 6.0L V8 truck engine and for enough oil loss to show low on the dipstick, you'd have oil everywhere in your garage if it were leaking.

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. It’s due for the complete oil change here in the next week or so. I’m going to really monitor it after that and bring it in if the oil is still going down. Thank God for warranties.

pct

pct

Lost in the hills
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 10, 2016
Letart WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is drinking it my shop are going to rebuild it again I think the rings never seated and the rear end is making a lot of noise to

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If it's burning oil it would be smoking. Maybe it was not full did you put oil on the filters before putting them in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!