P500 OK, so the P5 is tippy...

P

PNWGuy

I now know why people flop these things.

My brother and I were riding in my P5 this week while at the cabin and one of the trails we took it down had some extremely deep ruts.

Picture doesn't capture the giant kelly hump and 3' deep ruts, really. Riding the edge when the back left tire slipped into the rut and it immediately flopped on it's side. No pics of it on it's side as we immediately got out and righted it.

BUjOHncytJOGbWROnxSMTKPhra9zEM RhpZNP9EhnmYpX92IB

Decided to just winch it out of the rut. Haven't noticed any damage.

With two nearly 300lb men in it plus some gear, we really pushed that poor little thing, but, it was great.

We came up a trail that was about a 45 degree angle and was so steep and rutted that we both were sticking our bodies over the hood to keep the front tires down. Very, very sketchy trail. The P5 was pushed to it's limits and was awesome.

Rode about 24 miles exploring the Idaho back country above Dworshak reservoir. Found some awesome blackberry bushes and had a great afternoon.

XriUTPrHyIMwc 08KZ2Wx89BFodcaz Easm1WbGjflMpX92IB

Be0W86BFEI9OmgKsnr3L0oi dJzyrqLNsrsqWk11Hm0pX92IB

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
yeah pictures and video never really convey just how steep or deep or just plain gnarly the terrain is.

That's why I'm working on an anti-tip-over air bag system with on board air compressor and automatic bag retraction, it will be set to deploy when the P5 leans more than 7.83 degree's from vertical.The bags will deploy from the 4" rocker panel rock guard tubes.Can also be used for mud deeper than 6", you know just like having water-wings. LOL

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
above Dworshak reservoir
I love it up there. Coming down the back way from Elk River, I saw this little M100 fire trailer, there at the Army Corps of Engineers CG at the boat entrance on the north side of the lake. The M100's date back to WW2 and were typically towed by Jeeps.
Dent Acres rings a bell...I've also been up and over on the Pierce and Weippe side. Beautiful country. I'll be out there soon. Let's hit some trails!

Fullsizeoutput 128
Fullsizeoutput 116
Fullsizeoutput 117
Fullsizeoutput 11b
Fullsizeoutput 121
Fullsizeoutput 111

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I now know why people flop these things.

My brother and I were riding in my P5 this week while at the cabin and one of the trails we took it down had some extremely deep ruts.

Picture doesn't capture the giant kelly hump and 3' deep ruts, really. Riding the edge when the back left tire slipped into the rut and it immediately flopped on it's side. No pics of it on it's side as we immediately got out and righted it.

View attachment 84172

Decided to just winch it out of the rut. Haven't noticed any damage.

With two nearly 300lb men in it plus some gear, we really pushed that poor little thing, but, it was great.

We came up a trail that was about a 45 degree angle and was so steep and rutted that we both were sticking our bodies over the hood to keep the front tires down. Very, very sketchy trail. The P5 was pushed to it's limits and was awesome.

Rode about 24 miles exploring the Idaho back country above Dworshak reservoir. Found some awesome blackberry bushes and had a great afternoon.

View attachment 84174

View attachment 84175
Those don’t look like blueberry bushes. Nice pics though!!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I love it up there. Coming down the back way from Elk River, I saw this little M100 fire trailer, there at the Army Corps of Engineers CG at the boat entrance on the north side of the lake. The M100's date back to WW2 and were typically towed by Jeeps.
Dent Acres rings a bell...I've also been up and over on the Pierce and Weippe side. Beautiful country. I'll be out there soon. Let's hit some trails!

View attachment 84184 View attachment 84185 View attachment 84186 View attachment 84187 View attachment 84188 View attachment 84189

Awesome pictures!!! Breath taking. My dad always said if I ever went west past the Mississippi I’d never want to come back to North Caroline. He went to Jacksonhole Wyoming back in the early 90’s on a hunt. Got lots of video on the trip out. Mile an miles and mile of wheat fields an two lane highways through Kansas and same with corn in Nebraska until reaching the Rockies. Some day I’m gonna make it out there! No need to travel to the world when North America offers SO much beautiful country and wildlife.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Awesome pictures!!! Breath taking. My dad always said if I ever went west past the Mississippi I’d never want to come back to North Caroline. He went to Jacksonhole Wyoming back in the early 90’s on a hunt. Got lots of video on the trip out. Mile an miles and mile of wheat fields an two lane highways through Kansas and same with corn in Nebraska until reaching the Rockies. Some day I’m gonna make it out there! No need to travel to the world when North America offers SO much beautiful country and wildlife.
The mountainmen named that protected valley for their first (annual) rendezvous, just over the Tetons on the Idaho side is Pierr’s Hole, another mountain man rendezvous cite. I first found Jackson Hole in 82’ and have returned 26 times, I found it so alluring, and as a bonus it’s just 30 miles or so from the south entrance of Yellowstone. Put it on your bucket list for sure.

H

HP5NC

May 27, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
The mountainmen named that protected valley for their first (annual) rendezvous, just over the Tetons on the Idaho side is Pierr’s Hole, another mountain man rendezvous cite. I first found Jackson Hole in 82’ and have returned 26 times, I found it so alluring, and as a bonus it’s just 30 miles or so from the south entrance of Yellowstone. Put it on your bucket list for sure.

That’s really cool man! It’s definitely on my list! My dad said it was the most ery feeling driving through Kansas and Nebraska. NOTHING around you for days it seemed but crops an two lane roads! Corn so tall way taller than the vehicle. Better not run out of gas lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@100Acre knows all about tippy, I think it was like three times on one trail lol. Fairly viscous crossover ruts though. Had take Bayleaf the Pup in the larger rig a couple times but he’d go down that trail again. @Tigermark and I easily righted it back up and it continued on, a very nice thing about a 500
On that trail even the 1000’s have been on the side occasionally and usually crawl back upright but when they don’t it’s a pita.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@100Acre knows all about tippy, I think it was like three times on one trail lol.

Yeah, following the pics coming in he seems to spend a lot of time on his side, lol! I know he went over a couple of times at the takeover too. We ran Jackal's gauntlet together at RRB and he's definitely carrying a large pair to even try some of the stuff we went through. He's good people.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yeah, following the pics coming in he seems to spend a lot of time on his side, lol! I know he went over a couple of times at the takeover too. We ran Jackal's gauntlet together at RRB and he's definitely carrying a large pair to even try some of the stuff we went through. He's good people.
Lol. Have to be careful where you take him into because he WILL follow. Good people no doubt. Needs spacers and Wolverine wheels to help but he definitely has a “higher center of gravity “ then most!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Lol. Have to be careful where you take him into because he WILL follow. Good people no doubt. Needs spacers and Wolverine wheels to help but he definitely has a “higher center of gravity “ then most!

So far I’ve been on my side seven or eight times now

You definitely need to do something to spread that stance out a bit. What's funny is you and i talked about it but you evidently didn't do anything before this trip? Eight times is way too many! I know you've logged a lot more miles than i have but I've only tipped once.

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
You definitely need to do something to spread that stance out a bit. What's funny is you and i talked about it but you evidently didn't do anything before this trip? Eight times is way too many! I know you've logged a lot more miles than i have but I've only tipped once.
I guess I have been lucky. Been close a few times to rolling over. Around 3,000 miles now, I never even been pulled out by any other atv. LOL

Timmy

Timmy

May 22, 2016
Elkview, West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 84184 View attachment 84185 View attachment 84186 View attachment 84187 View attachment 84188 View attachment 84189
We have an Elk River in West Virginia also. LOL

Reactions: Dp5hunter
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
To be fair that area up here is made up of unmaintained motorcycle trails and bushwhacking for the most part. Things are extremely tight,side angled and avoiding the cross ruts is extremely tough given the trail width with overlaying branches at face level. It’s a fun but very challenging area to ride. It’s not like RRB where you can drive a Jeep through with multiple options even. Every 500 that’s been out here has been on its side multiple times. Even my wife that has ridden dirt bikes and sxs’ half of her life in the area has been on her side a couple times. She giggles every time lol. Most of the areas it is safe to tip though because of the trees being so close.
Now with that said I’ve seen the difference the wider Wolverine wheels did for @WillyBill. Still very tippy but seems to give a little more time to make corrections before it goes over.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
To be fair that area up here is made up of unmaintained motorcycle trails and bushwhacking for the most part. Things are extremely tight,side angled and avoiding the cross ruts is extremely tough given the trail width with overlaying branches at face level. It’s a fun but very challenging area to ride. It’s not like RRB where you can drive a Jeep through with multiple options even. Every 500 that’s been out here has been on its side multiple times. Even my wife that has ridden dirt bikes and sxs’ half of her life in the area has been on her side a couple times. She giggles every time lol. Most of the areas it is safe to tip though because of the trees being so close.
Now with that said I’ve seen the difference the wider Wolverine wheels did for @WillyBill. Still very tippy but seems to give a little more time to make corrections before it goes over.
I've seen Wolvy wheels mentioned a few times now. Are they really wider or just more offset?
I drove the 700 through all kinds of crazy stuff, but the 500 seems really spooky at times and really needs some added width . I think it feels way worse than it actually is, but...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!