Old, slow, and dumb as dirt. WTF am I thinking?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ye be welcomed among the Barbarian bringersforth of bling. Gotta have a snazzy Lassie. Don’t forget the imaginary weapons and their mounts. Aye, they be brandishing barren bags of coimless lint. Be aware, ye be in the poorhouse soon or casting oars for the kings ransom....away matey, away...

Rick49274

Rick49274

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2021
Reading MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Southern Arizona, another almost 3/4 century guy. I took my wife on her only ride almost two years ago. Too rough, too dusty, too much wind, too hot. So now I’ve cured the hot seat problem, spent a lot on shocks, new 801 UTV windshield with vents and a mid panel screen. She says that she wants to go on a ride again so we’ll give it a try in a couple of weeks. Oh, and last but not least a RB3 Offroad grab bar so she’ll have something to hang onto. Have a blast with your new toy.
PJon,

Did the new shocks make a big difference and if so any brand and model info would be much appreciated!

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
PJon,

Did the new shocks make a big difference and if so any brand and model info would be much appreciated!
I put the high end Viking 814’s on mine, but I’ve got a P1k5. If you look around in the 700 forum there are probably some good discussions on improved shocks. They do make a difference. Mine rides better and I gained about an inch and a half of clearance.

Smoking Joe

Smoking Joe

Mar 27, 2021
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-2
I buy upgrades as needed! I got the plain Jane version cause got it 1 year old with 12 street miles! Ride it see what you need and buy! The sky is the limit! For me winch was the first purchase...then roof...then power steering...now I just bought portals, heavy duty tie rods and bigger tires but I rode her for 4 years before pulling that trigger! Btw hello for alaska

Rick49274

Rick49274

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2021
Reading MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
I buy upgrades as needed! I got the plain Jane version cause got it 1 year old with 12 street miles! Ride it see what you need and buy! The sky is the limit! For me winch was the first purchase...then roof...then power steering...now I just bought portals, heavy duty tie rods and bigger tires but I rode her for 4 years before pulling that trigger! Btw hello for alaska
Wow, Alaska would be an incredible place for an SxS! Thanks for the welcome!

N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
I do trailer my rig. It’s a 6x12 single axle, made by gator Co. not sure if a 12 will work for you. I have the 700 2. I think you said you have a 700 4. I think it’s longer. ?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Trailer length always requires a compromise. I sold a nearly new Kaufman with 22' steel deck, two 7,000 lb. axles, 16" light truck tires, four wheel brakes, and a winch. I didn't need it any longer and it was too heavy, took up too much space, and wasn't practical for my Honda buggy.

I bought a BigTex 35SA. Big Tex Trailers 35SA Single Axle Utility Trailer

BigTex builds them by the thousands and has dealers all over the country. They use Dexter axles not ChiCom parts.

It's 77" wide and the deck is 12'. it was relatively inexpensive, long enough for my P1000-3 to fit comfortably but doesn't leave a lot of space for stretching out the ratchet straps.

On the plus side it's light, easy to tow, and is stored in a spare space in the garage.

Utility trailers are built by numerous manufacturers all over the country. Most people buy the brand that is popular in their area.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It says the 700-4 it is ~60 x 115 inches sounds close... How much distance do you need for straps?
I’d go with a 6x12, unless you end up loving your time on the sxs and decide to later get a 72” wide machine. Here’s how I tie mine down. I’ve thought of going to e-trac and using
C421B66C 7809 41D4 934E A121D47A6AAE
a chock blocks to locate my stopping position on the trailer. This system is made by Erickson.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Trailer - if you have room to park it, err on the long side. The 700-4 is 9" shorter than my Talon, here on a 14' Echo Elite trailer (that I really like). This is where it needs to sit for 10% tongue weight. I didn't know about the bed extender and spare tire mount when I bought the trailer so the extra length bailed me out. I've since added length to the ramp braces so I can move the rig back enough to make room for a pit bike up front if I want. This also shows 'minimum' length for good tie down angles.

ETA: this won't be your last SxS, buy enough trailer.

Or you could buy a toy hauler and get it over with because - 'Happy wife, happy life." :oops:

Last edited:
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Rick O-S-DasD
My 2 pennies.
If the finance officer will give the nod Convince "Her" -- ALUMINUM is Best Way to Go -- Hold Resale & Trade Value.
1 or 2 Sizes ( Longer -- Bigger 12/ 14Ft. Longx 6/ 7 Wide) than you Think you Need -- Saves Buying Bigger Trailer in Near Future.

Spend it while Your Here or those you leave it to Will Spend when Your Gone.

Rick49274

Rick49274

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2021
Reading MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’d go with a 6x12, unless you end up loving your time on the sxs and decide to later get a 72” wide machine. Here’s how I tie mine down. I’ve thought of going to e-trac and usingView attachment 264520 a chock blocks to locate my stopping position on the trailer. This system is made by Erickson.
Thanks, the photo really helps! I love those Erickson chock blocks!

Rick49274

Rick49274

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2021
Reading MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Trailer - if you have room to park it, error on the long side. The 700-4 is 9" shorter than my Talon, here on a 14' Echo Elite trailer (that I really like). This is where it needs to sit for 10% tongue weight. I didn't know about the bed extender and spare tire mount when I bought the trailer so the extra length bailed me out. I've since added length to the ramp braces so I can move the rig back enough to make room for a pit bike up front if I want. This also shows 'minimum' length for good tie down angles.

ETA: this won't be your last SxS, buy enough trailer.

Or you could buy a toy hauler and get it over with because - 'Happy wife, happy life." :oops:

View attachment 264537
Thanks, I was just looking at bed extenders today. Do you leave it on always or just when needed? I was thinking if I left it on it was one less thing I had to store.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks, I was just looking at bed extenders today. Do you leave it on always or just when needed? I was thinking if I left it on it was one less thing I had to store.
There's quite a few options out there. Some collapse out of the way and some fold into bed out of the way. And lots of inexpensive DIY bed extenders as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!