P1000 Overheating In Low Gear

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
2 times now when driving in low gear at low speeds my buggy has overheated. I stopped and let it cool down to 2 or 3 bars on the temp gauge before continuing. I can run at high speeds all day with no problems.

The radiator is clean and the fan is running and appears to be working right.

Does anyone know if the P1000 has a bleed screw? From the parts schematic it looks like there might be one on top of the thermostat cover?

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
Thanks Gump, I tried burping air out of it tonight, with mixed results. I thought I had it, removed some air, then it got too hot and boiled over.

How long did you let yours run before you got air out of it? It took me at least 10min before I noticed it circulating with some throttle input.

I filled it back up and drove it around in low 1st gear. After 1.5 mi my temp gauge went to 3 bars then at about 3mi it overheated. Same as it was acting before. The fan was running the whole time once it got up to 2 bars, it only stopped running once I stopped and let it cool down.

I'm going to try bleeding air out of it one more time...

Reactions: GumpAir
GumpAir

GumpAir

Jun 16, 2016
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
About the same. 10 minutes maybe. The level in the radiator dropped fast, then it boiled over. I used a welding glove and was able to get the cap on before I lost too much coolant. But it still sucked the reservoir dry.

I went out a couple days ago and ran about 20 miles in Low, and never got above two bars. But, I also wasn't in an area where I had to run hard on real steep terrain like I did the two times prior I overheated.

Gump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
Yea, I have to get some more coolant and try it again. I probably sucked air back into the coolant system when it boiled over.

Lantz

Lantz

Oct 5, 2015
So there is a bleed screw on top of the thermostat cover, it looks like the rear center cover has to be removed to access it.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the troubleshooting suggestions from the shop manual...

7629a04dbd152e44274bcb2181cfbea9

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

S

stokesdd

Apr 15, 2018
utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also had my 1000-5 overheat. I have 4 adults in it and climbing in low gear. It boiled over twice. I think the cooling system is undersized for the heat generated. I contacted my dealer and he made note of it and said he was talking with the honda engineers about it. It is not a problem at high speeds or if i have two people in it. Four adults or 800 lbs in it may be more than the cooling system can take.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also had my 1000-5 overheat. I have 4 adults in it and climbing in low gear. It boiled over twice. I think the cooling system is undersized for the heat generated. I contacted my dealer and he made note of it and said he was talking with the honda engineers about it. It is not a problem at high speeds or if i have two people in it. Four adults or 800 lbs in it may be more than the cooling system can take.

Have you replaced the radiator cap? If the system can’t maintain pressure it will overheat. Wife had a car that acted like that one time.

Reactions: Plumber32

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!