BOX1

Overheating

Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 1000R; have had an overheat issue for quite some time now. It’s Been to the dealership twice now with no luck. It’s not the obvious: radiator plugged, radiator cap holding pressure, no leak, fan IS wired correctly. I’ve had 2 trips cut short already because of it. Anyone have any idea what may be going on? I don’t believe the coolant is circulating at all, it will Overheat within 10 mins just cruising down the road. I’m hearin basically to run it until it blows and claim the warranty, not so easy to do with such an expensive machine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club.

Info that has helped the Pioneer 1000's.

Cold.
Check coolant is full.
Overfill the overflow to upper mark.
Leaving the radiator cap on.
Let it get hot but not overheating
Keep it running and Winch it up a tree as far as you are comfortable with while running. 45 degrees or better for a few moments.
Let it down.
Let it cool down.
** Do not open radiator cap until lukewarm or colder.
Check coolant levels.

If either went down that's a good sign as long as it didnt leak out.
Let us know.

There hasn't been many reports of Talons overheating like the 2018 Pioneer line.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome to the club.

Info that has helped the Pioneer 1000's.

Cold.
Check coolant is full.
Overfill the overflow to upper mark.
Leaving the radiator cap on.
Let it warm up and keep it running.
Winch it up a tree as far as you are comfortable with while running. 45 degrees or better.
Let it down.
Let it cool down. Do not open radiator cap until lukewarm or better.
Check coolant levels.

If either went down that's a good sign as long as it didnt leak out.
Let us know.

There hasn't been many reports of Talons overheating like the 2018 Pioneer line.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply.. I’ve already tried that after seeing it on another thread. Also tried other burping methods. The fan turns on as it should just doesn’t keep it cool. I thought maybe a thermostat or water pump but I’m no mechanic and this machine is obviously new to me.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have to be one or the other then.
Not much else would cause it.

Please keep us updated.

Reactions: JTW
Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
It's either the thermostat or the water pump. Pulling the thermostat out will tell all. If your dealer can't do that, it's time for a new dealer and a call to Honda.

Right on, thanks! Only concern now is after it’s finally fixed, it’s overheated several times now and I’m worried about issues down the rd. I have extended warranty and hope Honda takes care of me the right way, as they always have.

Razorback

Razorback

Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2015
Van Buren, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
Right on, thanks! Only concern now is after it’s finally fixed, it’s overheated several times now and I’m worried about issues down the rd. I have extended warranty and hope Honda takes care of me the right way, as they always have.
Have your shop mechanic call Mike @ Rainbow Honda in Rogers, Arkansas. Had the same problem with mine. They called the regional shop manager for Honda ( I think that was his title). Found out it was a problem with some of the early P1K's. There was supposed to be a stop on the production line until assembly team was properly trained on the new process. But yours might have been built before that.

H

HondaTech

This is a first for me, all of ours have been flawless so far.

Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have your shop mechanic call Mike @ Rainbow Honda in Rogers, Arkansas. Had the same problem with mine. They called the regional shop manager for Honda ( I think that was his title). Found out it was a problem with some of the early P1K's. There was supposed to be a stop on the production line until assembly team was properly trained on the new process. But yours might have been built before that.
Sounds good, I guess there may be 2 of us with an issue. I believe mine is 56 or 57 off the line so would make sense. I appreciate the help.

Reactions: Razorback
Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is a first for me, all of ours have been flawless so far.
Yea unfortunate for sure, I love the machine other than obviously issue above. My buddy has an x that has Been on every ride with me and has had zero problems with anything. Guess I’m just an unlucky one!

Reactions: JTW
D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This may be an old thread but my 2020 overheated yesterday to the point we had to stop. Coolant was boiling inside the overflow jug. We were only 1/4 mile from home so I ran him picked up the truck and trailer. My Talon has 7.5 hours on it, haven't even had it for two weeks. Went back to dealer their initial response was that hasn't,t happened and it may be 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before they can even look at it!

Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
This may be an old thread but my 2020 overheated yesterday to the point we had to stop. Coolant was boiling inside the overflow jug. We were only 1/4 mile from home so I ran him picked up the truck and trailer. My Talon has 7.5 hours on it, haven't even had it for two weeks. Went back to dealer their initial response was that hasn't,t happened and it may be 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before they can even look at it!
Yea man I still really never got a straight answer about what exactly was wrong but after 3 trips to the dealership I haven’t had an issue since. Love the machine still, but I’m glad I have the extra 4 years of warranty after it got hot so many times. I was basically told at one point that if it overheats again to just run it til she blows lol.

1 thing to check is radiator cap to ensure it’s holding correct pressure to allow it to circulate; mine was not but after new one was put on I still had an issue. Anyhow good luck my friend and keep us posted.

D

David_Outlaw64

Jan 30, 2021
Shandon, CA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Yea man I still really never got a straight answer about what exactly was wrong but after 3 trips to the dealership I haven’t had an issue since. Love the machine still, but I’m glad I have the extra 4 years of warranty after it got hot so many times. I was basically told at one point that if it overheats again to just run it til she blows lol.

1 thing to check is radiator cap to ensure it’s holding correct pressure to allow it to circulate; mine was not but after new one was put on I still had an issue. Anyhow good luck my friend and keep us posted.
[/QUO. I just got 2021 Talon and it just it 3hrs only on the machine. Overheated and fan didn't turn on. Did you get yours fixed?

L

LeslieFarmer

Feb 5, 2021
Princeton
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Ok my Honda Talon over heated this evening after a short ride got home got out and open garage door and it started to blow antifreeze out turned it off glad it happened in drive way the cap is holding pressure fan is coming on but it doesn’t seam like water pump is transferring and water because I turned my heater on and it’s blowing cold and one else had and problems with water heater

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ok my Honda Talon over heated this evening after a short ride got home got out and open garage door and it started to blow antifreeze out turned it off glad it happened in drive way the cap is holding pressure fan is coming on but it doesn’t seam like water pump is transferring and water because I turned my heater on and it’s blowing cold and one else had and problems with water heater
Was the heater recently installed?

L

LeslieFarmer

Feb 5, 2021
Princeton
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Guess I take it to dealer

101F0D8D 59CB 4B92 BEC8 977153901012

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!