Talon Honda Talon Cooling Fans Wired Backwards. - The issue and how to fix!

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been waiting with interest, for my dealer to contact me to correct this fan wiring issue. Of course I already reversed it myself. But I'm interested to know how long it takes for them to get the news and call me.
On a BRP skidoo snowmobile, there was a cooling hose clamp issue. The clamp was improperly crimped and could allow all coolant to suddenly rush out of the cooling system. That would ruin your day in the middle of nowhere! I read about it on the forum I follow for skidoo. It was about two months later before the dealer called me to address the issue. Of course I had fixed it the day I read about it.
With as fast as things CAN move these days with email and internet, it's surprising how slow they actually move in some cases. Maybe the fan wiring thing is just not considered to be super important compared to everything else Honda is juggling.
To Honda's credit, there so far seem to be very few issues with this first year design. Of course, their 3-4 year development and testing period should have been enough to find the issues before marketting. The fan wiring thing is obviously a vendor communication thing and I consider it to be minor. But I haven't ridden in a hot desert yet either!

Reactions: TripleB
G

garyandjen

May 4, 2019
PNW
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been waiting with interest, for my dealer to contact me to correct this fan wiring issue. Of course I already reversed it myself. But I'm interested to know how long it takes for them to get the news and call me.
On a BRP skidoo snowmobile, there was a cooling hose clamp issue. The clamp was improperly crimped and could allow all coolant to suddenly rush out of the cooling system. That would ruin your day in the middle of nowhere! I read about it on the forum I follow for skidoo. It was about two months later before the dealer called me to address the issue. Of course I had fixed it the day I read about it.
With as fast as things CAN move these days with email and internet, it's surprising how slow they actually move in some cases. Maybe the fan wiring thing is just not considered to be super important compared to everything else Honda is juggling.
To Honda's credit, there so far seem to be very few issues with this first year design. Of course, their 3-4 year development and testing period should have been enough to find the issues before marketting. The fan wiring thing is obviously a vendor communication thing and I consider it to be minor. But I haven't ridden in a hot desert yet either!

G

garyandjen

May 4, 2019
PNW
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had 2 conversations with the service manage today. He contacted Honda about my issue (wiring is incorrect). He says they have reflashed the computer. He also says Honda doesnt have a service memo about this problem. I emailed him a copy of the one posted on this website. I am picking up the Talon tomorrow and plan on letting it idle long enough for the fan to kick on and verify the fan direction. This doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the product or the dealer.

G

garyandjen

May 4, 2019
PNW
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had 2 conversations with the service manage today. He contacted Honda about my issue (wiring is incorrect). He says they have reflashed the computer. He also says Honda doesnt have a service memo about this problem. I emailed him a copy of the one posted on this website. I am picking up the Talon tomorrow and plan on letting it idle long enough for the fan to kick on and verify the fan direction. This doesn't instill a lot of confidence in the product or the dealer.
FOLLOW UP TO MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE I went to pickup my Talon from the dealer. Talked with the service manager again about my problem. He stated that Honda rep says there isn't a problem with my Talon even though the wire is in the incorrect configuration. They had not tested the direction the fan was turning so they brought the Talon out to the loading area and I idled it until the fan came on. It was pushing air out the front of the radiator. I brought the service manager out to witness the fan direction. He again called Honda. Honda rep then told him to open an attachment on the service website which is the same memo posted on this website. If the dealer searches Talon issues it doesn't show this problem in the normal manner and the dealers have not been alerted to this problem. I am not sure if my dealer isn't up to speed on the Talon or if Honda isn't on top of this problem. I would have thought both would wanted this problem resolved.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FOLLOW UP TO MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE I went to pickup my Talon from the dealer. Talked with the service manager again about my problem. He stated that Honda rep says there isn't a problem with my Talon even though the wire is in the incorrect configuration. They had not tested the direction the fan was turning so they brought the Talon out to the loading area and I idled it until the fan came on. It was pushing air out the front of the radiator. I brought the service manager out to witness the fan direction. He again called Honda. Honda rep then told him to open an attachment on the service website which is the same memo posted on this website. If the dealer searches Talon issues it doesn't show this problem in the normal manner and the dealers have not been alerted to this problem. I am not sure if my dealer isn't up to speed on the Talon or if Honda isn't on top of this problem. I would have thought both would wanted this problem resolved.
That's crazy!

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm starting to think Honda believes it really doesn't matter which way the air moves through the radiator.

Reactions: Smitty335
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
This came from Honda finally.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!