Talon Honda Talon Cooling Fans Wired Backwards. - The issue and how to fix!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How about posting your Talons model and production # and weather its correct or wrong.
Maybe we can narrow down the units that were supplied with the fans that were polarized wrong.

Reactions: Landman
Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
View attachment 124942

It has been discovered that an unknown number of Honda Talon fan modules were miswired. This is a result of fan assembly error from the supplier. We know from the noncommon wire colors that these are not manufactured by Honda and most likely outsourced.

HOW TO IDENTIFY:
Your fan wire should pair up as follows on through the plug as shown in the image.
RED to BLUE and GREEN to BLACK.
View attachment 124943

HOW TO FIX
We recommend allowing your dealer to correct this. It should only take a few moments.
A DIY correction can be found in post #2.

THE EFFECTS OF A MISWIRE.
The only effect from this miswire is overheating because the fan was running in reverse. There have been no widespread reports of Talons overheating so we assume the fan pushing air provided sufficient cooling.

What to do if your unit overheats?
If your Talon overheats use common radiator precautions.
DO NOT WORK ON THE UNIT HOT! Allow adequate time to cool before inspecting or working on the unit.

Here is the attached wire diagram for reference.
View attachment 124945

Special thanks to Ou8alizzard for posting this info. His original post is in post #2!

4-24-19
Updated notice from Honda!
View attachment 125003

How do you disconnect the connector from the purple fan frame clip? I am sure there is a detent. Do you access the detent from bottom?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you disconnect the connector from the purple fan frame clip? I am sure there is a detent. Do you access the detent from bottom?
If yours is wired wrong, it may just be easier to swap the postion of the pins on the chassis side of the harness.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
If yours is wired wrong, it may just be easier to swap the postion of the pins on the chassis side of the harness.
Mine is wired wrong. I did think of that option as pulling the top half of connector is a breeze. However, I do want to keep it consistent with factory specs. So, do I need to access the fan frame clip from bottom to depress detent and pull off bottom half of connector?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is wired wrong. I did think of that option as pulling the top half of connector is a breeze. However, I do want to keep it consistent with factory specs. So, do I need to access the fan frame clip from bottom to depress detent and pull off bottom half of connector?
I am not sure how it is fastened onto the frame.
I would bet the connector slides onto the mount, you may need to slide a thin jewelers screwdriver to release the mount from the connector.

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
It pops right off the frame. I used a small screwdriver between the connectors and the frame and it came off real easy. It is a lot easier to separate the connectors once they are removed from the frame.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
View attachment 124942

It has been discovered that an unknown number of Honda Talon fan modules were miswired. This is a result of fan assembly error from the supplier. We know from the noncommon wire colors that these are not manufactured by Honda and most likely outsourced.

HOW TO IDENTIFY:
Your fan wire should pair up as follows on through the plug as shown in the image.
View attachment 124943

HOW TO FIX
We recommend allowing your dealer to correct this. It should only take a few moments.

The only effect from this miswire is overheating because the fan was running in reverse. There have been no widespread reports of Talons overheating so we assume the fan pushing air provided sufficient cooling.

DO NOT WORK ON THE UNIT HOT! Allow adequate time to cool before inspecting or working on the unit.

View attachment 124945

Special thanks to Ou8alizzard for posting this info. His original post is in post #2!

4-24-19
View attachment 125003

Any idea how the male pins are released?

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
It pops right off the frame. I used a small screwdriver between the connectors and the frame and it came off real easy. It is a lot easier to separate the connectors once they are removed from the frame.
How did you release the male pins to reverse? I can't see how the male pins are held in connector so I can release.

O

Ou8alizzard

Mar 30, 2019
Az
How did you release the male pins to reverse? I can't see how the male pins are held in connector so I can release.
Found this online it should help Screenshot 20190425 181805 Chrome

rbtnt

rbtnt

Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2015
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used micro flat head screwdriver as mentioned earlier and basically followed the instructions listed in prior post.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
View attachment 124942

HOW TO IDENTIFY:
View attachment 124943

HOW TO FIX

View attachment 124945

4-24-19
View attachment 125003

I did the wire switch and ran the Talon to cycle the fan. Now it is running counter clockwise, is that correct?

R

rojas

Apr 27, 2019
Out in the middle
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did the wire switch and ran the Talon to cycle the fan. Now it is running counter clockwise, is that correct?
From looking at the pictures counter clockwise when viewed from the motor side would be correct.
Also the pictures show an airfoil style blade. Flow through the radiator will be greatly reduced if rotation direction incorrect even when the vehicle is stationary.

P

Puller810

Apr 14, 2019
MICHIGAN
Ownership

1. Talon X
Pretty disappointed I found that mine was wired incorrectly after it overheated today on my first trip to the dunes. I'm hoping that no engine damage occurred. It was very sunny and I don't no how long the light was on as the dash display is in a terrible location to see when driving aggressively. I'll be in contact with the dealer tomorrow about Honda extending my engine warranty do to they're improper wiring.

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
It is real easy to tell just wait for the fan to come on and put your hand in front of the radiator, if it is pushing air out toward your hand then it is wired in reverse. Should be pulling air from the front not pushing air.

M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
It is real easy to tell just wait for the fan to come on and put your hand in front of the radiator, if it is pushing air out toward your hand then it is wired in reverse. Should be pulling air from the front not pushing air.

Checked the wiring on my Talon X and it was backwards. I was wondering why I would feel warm air coming up from the front once in a while. I wasn't having any over heating problems but it is still pretty cool here in VT. Reversed the wiring today and went riding but it was cool enough (mid 50's) that the fan never came on. Heat gauge never went above 2 bars. Curious to see if I get any unwanted cabin heat with the fan running in the correct direction. Thinking about hooking up a DC reversing switch so I can reverse fan direction when desired.

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think the reversing switch mentioned several times is a great idea. For hot days and slow running it would be perfect.
My fan was wired backwards, and I changed it to blow back toward driver. I "sealed" the shifter gate with one inch acoustic foam. I have the full glass windshield and half doors. I've sealed every floor opening under and behind the seats (using black gorilla tape). I'm running fender liners in the rear fenders.
Took my R out yesterday and got it good and hot, so fan was running. Pulled it into the shop, left it idling, fan came on again. I then tried to feel warm air coming into cabin and I couldn't feel any.
I don't feel it's going to be nearly the issue it was in the can am, the gator, and the Yamaha yxz 1000. Those were hot rides on a warm day.
After a few fun tweaks, I think we've got a great ride here guys.

B

Bigblue1

Feb 3, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the reversing switch mentioned several times is a great idea. For hot days and slow running it would be perfect.
My fan was wired backwards, and I changed it to blow back toward driver. I "sealed" the shifter gate with t windshield and half doors. I've sealed every floor opening under and behind the seats (using black gorilla tape). I'm running fender liners in the rear fenders.
Took my R out yesterday and got it good and hot, so fan was running. Pulled it into the shop, left it idling, fan came on again. I then tried to feel warm air coming into cabin and I couldn't feel any.
I don't feel it's going to be nearly the issue it was in the can am, the gator, and the Yamaha yxz 1000. Those were hot rides on a warm day.
After a few fun tweaks, I think we've got a great ride here guys.
Do you have any pictures of the shifter gate seal?

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Checked the wiring on my Talon X and it was backwards. I was wondering why I would feel warm air coming up from the front once in a while. I wasn't having any over heating problems but it is still pretty cool here in VT. Reversed the wiring today and went riding but it was cool enough (mid 50's) that the fan never came on. Heat gauge never went above 2 bars. Curious to see if I get any unwanted cabin heat with the fan running in the correct direction. Thinking about hooking up a DC reversing switch so I can reverse fan direction when desired.
Yep mine did the same thing, i was seeing 3 bars on the temp gauge when the fan was turning the wrong direction but after i reversed the wiring and got it going in the correct direction my temp gauge never goes over 2 bars and the fan rarely comes on and did 52 miles on sunday and it was 88 degrees...problem solved!

G

garyandjen

May 4, 2019
PNW
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yep mine did the same thing, i was seeing 3 bars on the temp gauge when the fan was turning the wrong direction but after i reversed the wiring and got it going in the correct direction my temp gauge never goes over 2 bars and the fan rarely comes on and did 52 miles on sunday and it was 88 degrees...problem solved!
I had my first service at the dealer I purchased my Talon. After the service I read the post here and checked my fan connections. The connections were backwards, I delivered the Talon back to the Dealer explaining the wiring issue as described here and they were unaware there was an issue. They searched for the service memo and found nothing. I forwarded to the service rep the service memo shown on this website. I am unsure at this point if Honda or my dealer is incompetent. Several other issues have come up that point to the dealers not being up to speed on these new products.

Reactions: IDIOT and TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!