P1000 p1000 floppy suspention

M

mach1_19692000

Mar 9, 2021
Pekin, IL
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I bought a used 1000-5 last year with 300 miles. (Had a 700-4 that was great) The 1000 excels in all areas except road handling. The dealer said they all flop around. I don't buy it, the 700 was nothing like the 1000. Accelerate rapidly it pulls one direction, let off too quickly it darts the other way. It is fine off road, but on the blacktop, it makes the butt hole pucker. I use it alot going from the farm to home and to check hay all summer. Also pull a loaded hay rack and a utility trailer. The loaded rack weighs 8000 to 9000lbs so I don't want to be flopping around with that behind me. Still has stock everything including tires. Rears have alot of tread, fronts are smoked. Has 850 miles now.
The steering wheel it a tad off center but it drives straight and if you let go of the wheel, it continues straight down the road. I don't see any bent or worn suspension parts. I assume the toe is slightly off causing the wheel not to be perfectly straight. Could that possibly cause it to handle so poorly?

I am looking at getting new tires and don't know exactly what to get, thinking 28-10-14 all around. Looking at M1 Evil, Carnivore, XTR370, and Out and back max.
I want great off road traction but not to bald on 300 miles because they are on the road a fair amount.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's another thread with the same issue.

Jack up the front end to get the wheels off the ground and see if anything is wobbly, looking for ball joint and tie rod issues. If it's not that, you're almost certainly facing alignment issues.

It took me 3-4 times of perfecting my technique to get the alignment right on my machine. I'm pretty sure it's your issue.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Based on your description with worn front and good rear tires, the front toe is way off. Although you say it tracks straight I suspect the tires are pointed out instead of slightly in.

Also, being used, the previous owner may have followed "internet expert" advice and disconnected the sway bar which could cause notable body roll in turns and especially on pavement.

That said I would strongly recommend against towing more than the 2000 lbs. rating. Not because it can't but because it won't be able to safely stop 8000-9000 lbs and could jacknife due to inertia and tow vehicle light weight.

aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did the rear sway bar delete and I can definitely feel more body roll on acceleration, but I’m not gunning it on the tarmac. My riding style is mostly technical with two riders.

M

mach1_19692000

Mar 9, 2021
Pekin, IL
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I'll check the toe and see if I can tell how far it's off. it actually handles the hay rack well. I don't go much over 25 pulling it and not more than 3 miles. usually I have one rack behind the baler and a full one in the field.

What do you guys think about tire options?

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great Scott!! 8000 pound trailer?? After you get going, the trailer will drive itself and anything attached.

Oh, I see you're from Pekin. Lived in Champaign, which is even flatter than Pekin.

I've hauled my share of hay in the mountains where it's a good day if half the stack doesn't fall off the trailer, especially forward, going down the hill. ; )

M

mach1_19692000

Mar 9, 2021
Pekin, IL
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Finally got it out of the machine shed and put new tires on it and set the toe. It now has 28x10x14 carnivores on stock deluxe wheels. It was toed in ALOT, I set it with a string and it is a completely different sxs. 65 mph on the road and it's as surefooted as a billy goat.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Finally got it out of the machine shed and put new tires on it and set the toe. It now has 28x10x14 carnivores on stock deluxe wheels. It was toed in ALOT, I set it with a string and it is a completely different sxs. 65 mph on the road and it's as surefooted as a billy goat.
Differently...
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Reactions: Farmer
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for reporting back. I didn't get mine right until I used 4 jack stands and string all the way around.

Get that string trued up to the machine, then you can really see what's going on with your front end.

Eyeballing it just doesn't cut it.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Based on your description with worn front and good rear tires, the front toe is way off. Although you say it tracks straight I suspect the tires are pointed out instead of slightly in.

Also, being used, the previous owner may have followed "internet expert" advice and disconnected the sway bar which could cause notable body roll in turns and especially on pavement.

That said I would strongly recommend against towing more than the 2000 lbs. rating. Not because it can't but because it won't be able to safely stop 8000-9000 lbs and could jacknife due to inertia and tow vehicle light weight.

I agree with you on the sway bar thing but come on Jackal.......... you don't know us farmers very good. Hell, we were pulling full hay racks and greenchop wagons with our 350 fourtrax's back in the late 80's! A pioneer 1000 should handle that like it's nothin!!! LOL!!!!;)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree with you on the sway bar thing but come on Jackal.......... you don't know us farmers very good. Hell, we were pulling full hay racks and greenchop wagons with our 350 fourtrax's back in the late 80's! A pioneer 1000 should handle that like it's nothin!!! LOL!!!!;)
@JACKAL is on the right track. Honda sends them out with toe out on purpose for liability reasons, it keeps helps an inexperienced rider from flopping.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!