P1000 P1000 fouling plugs?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got a little water in the gas perhaps?
Could be. For what it's worth...I religiously run Chevron 89 octane in my machine. Absolutely flawless engine performance so far with almost 2000 miles.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got a little water in the gas perhaps?
And remember...ethanol absorbs water from humid air like a sponge. Maybe add a little Sta-Bil if it's gonna sit a while particularly on a low fuel level. Or try to find non-ethanol fuel. We have select stations in my area that offer it.

Reactions: popeye and JTW
tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Could be. For what it's worth...I religiously run Chevron 89 octane in my machine. Absolutely flawless engine performance so far with almost 2000 miles.
My thought was that because it's intermittent it might be fuel related. Maybe only happens when you run the tank down low or something.

Reactions: 0860silverado
D

Dasmoeturhead

And remember...ethanol absorbs water from humid air like a sponge. Maybe add a little Sta-Bil if it's gonna sit a while particularly on a low fuel level. Or try to find non-ethanol fuel. We have select stations in my area that offer it.
I run 100% Gas 93 octane and mines been doing the same thing for more than a year. It stumbles at start sometimes when its cold,and sometimes when its warm after riding around my property. Blipping the gas a bit before shut down seems to help alot. It always clears, but it can be a PITA.

Reactions: 0860silverado
R

r1i2c3k4y5

Apr 7, 2017
poplarville, ms
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have used this in 4 wheelers, lawn mowers, chain saws and generators for years with no problems...

5 Gallon Can
Ethanol Free Gas
Sea Foam 4 Ozs.
Sta-Bil 360 Marine 2 Ozs.
Outboard Motor Oil 2 Ozs.

Z

zin01

May 2, 2017
Royse City
I have used this in 4 wheelers, lawn mowers, chain saws and generators for years with no problems...

5 Gallon Can
Ethanol Free Gas
Sea Foam 4 Ozs.
Sta-Bil 360 Marine 2 Ozs.
Outboard Motor Oil 2 Ozs.

You put all that in one 5 gallon gas can every time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
D

Dasmoeturhead

Totally not PC, but 2 days ago I cut the spark arrestor off my P1K3 because I thought it was causing to much back pressure allowing the engine to load up sometimes. It was perfectly clean. I've checked it before, and it was never dirty.
Since I removed it my engine does not run rough, load up, or not start on the 1st try. Did I fix it? I have no idea, but its working so far.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A quick update. About a month ago my brother had called and needed me to pick him from the back of the farm, so I go to the shop to get the Pioneer. On start up it acted up again so I shut it off, raised the bed and pulled one plug wire and restarted. I started and obviously ran like crap, shut it off, replaced the plug wire and removed the other one. It started and ran the same. I had to drive it like it was so off I went. When I stopped to open a gate it died, after restarting to drive through the gate it would die every time I put it in gear and gave it gas. I finally got it moving and about half way there it cleared up and ran fine. When I got back to the shop I put the new plugs in and it's been fine since. It only does this every three or four months so I don't know if it's fixed or not. My gut feeling is no.

MY experience with fouled plugs is that they don't come and go, once they are fouled it's over. The plugs I removed looked okay, definitely not black but not super clean either.

I spoke to my dealer and he was telling about me storing gas in a plastic container and how it would attract water. I have both steel and plastic cans and never had any issues with water. Plus if plastic jugs are a problem with water why did Honda use a plastic tank? Isn't it six of one and a half dozen of the other?

Anyway it's running fine now, time will tell.

Reactions: Delton and JTW
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Totally not PC, but 2 days ago I cut the spark arrestor off my P1K3 because I thought it was causing to much back pressure allowing the engine to load up sometimes. It was perfectly clean. I've checked it before, and it was never dirty.
Since I removed it my engine does not run rough, load up, or not start on the 1st try. Did I fix it? I have no idea, but its working so far.

Hmm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

Barnstormer

Mar 17, 2016
Barnum, MN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine would also occasionally act up but I have been turning the key on and allowing the fuel pump to run 10-15 seconds and it seems to start faster and run smoother every time since.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Mine would also occasionally act up but I have been turning the key on and allowing the fuel pump to run 10-15 seconds and it seems to start faster and run smoother every time since.

I do the same. Have since day 1 before this even occurred. I wait until whatever electrical thingy shuts off, then I start.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I do the same. Have since day 1 before this even occurred. I wait until whatever electrical thingy shuts off, then I start.

I do the exact same thing. It's the first thing my dealer told me when he was going over all the controls after I purchased it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A quick update. About a month ago my brother had called and needed me to pick him from the back of the farm, so I go to the shop to get the Pioneer. On start up it acted up again so I shut it off, raised the bed and pulled one plug wire and restarted. I started and obviously ran like crap, shut it off, replaced the plug wire and removed the other one. It started and ran the same. I had to drive it like it was so off I went. When I stopped to open a gate it died, after restarting to drive through the gate it would die every time I put it in gear and gave it gas. I finally got it moving and about half way there it cleared up and ran fine. When I got back to the shop I put the new plugs in and it's been fine since. It only does this every three or four months so I don't know if it's fixed or not. My gut feeling is no.

MY experience with fouled plugs is that they don't come and go, once they are fouled it's over. The plugs I removed looked okay, definitely not black but not super clean either.

I spoke to my dealer and he was telling about me storing gas in a plastic container and how it would attract water. I have both steel and plastic cans and never had any issues with water. Plus if plastic jugs are a problem with water why did Honda use a plastic tank? Isn't it six of one and a half dozen of the other?

Anyway it's running fine now, time will tell.
Youre dead on with your plug analysis. Once they foul they are done. No resurrection from the dead for them. It being intermittent is gonna be hard to find. Wish I could help.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My arrestor has been gone for over a year now. I ran mine couple times down the driveway without the end cap. It was more responsive without it.

Reactions: Dasmoeturhead
D

Dasmoeturhead

My arrestor has been gone for over a year now. I ran mine couple times down the driveway without the end cap. It was more responsive without it.
Yep. That's what I did, and I feel the engine is smoother running without it. I don't run this thing on forest service or BLM land, so I'm ok with it. So far it hasn't loaded up or not start on the 1st try. Happy happy.

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep. That's what I did, and I feel the engine is smoother running without it. I don't run this thing on forest service or BLM land, so I'm ok with it. So far it hasn't loaded up or not start on the 1st try. Happy happy.
Soin as I find time I'm gonna play with different mufflers. Not looking for loudness just deeper tone. It'd help if Honda had used common 18mm O2 bung like pretty much every other vehicle lol. Never enough time to play with my toys properly lol

Reactions: moparornocar
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d really like a twin of snuffs setup, but I’m not really set up in the shop to be playing much with tubing. Maybe one day.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!