Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like I mentioned in my post I don't really have a brand loyalty but I'm no stranger to the reputation Honda has built over the years for it's outstanding build quality. It would also be a lie to say that reliability wasn't one of the reasons I kept looking at the Honda. Bummer to hear that those high standards didn't transfer over with the manufacturing of the Pioneer. Hopefully they'll get their act together.
I think you will find negatives like the ones here on any machine you look at. Your best bet would be to compare specifications and facts then decide what fits you. Owner reviews will vary so much they border on being useless. I don't envy anyone trying to decide nowadays.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Currently own both. Different machines. The ride and comfort on the Spec far exceeds the Pioneer and slight lack of power can easily be made up because your not slowing down for things. Performance goes to Wolverine.
Pioneer is a multi passenger rig and is the best at it. It beats and bangs it's way through everything and the paddles make it feel more sporty.
I honestly love both but it really depends on what you're doing. You said you have two kids well then decision should be over-Pioneer.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You should look at YouTube for some videos of the pioneer 1000 in action if you haven't already. There's no doubt that it is a very fun machine that can get my family and camping gear out in the woods for a weekend. It's also nice it when I'm home and can do chores like haul stuff in the bed or tow a trailer. Just know that the first two years of production are a little bit rough and maybe you should wait to make your decisions and see what 2018 holds. The rumors are that the 2018 pioneers will have a lot of improvements but none of that is for certain yet.

I am glad that I purchased the pioneer and addressed the issues early on so I could enjoy it over the past almost two years. However, I do think Honda should have or could have done better. There's nothing else out there with that short wheel base and if you know all the negatives going into it and still choose to purchase it, you'll probably be happy with it like myself and many others.

Most of our group that rides together has pretty much addressed all of the rattles, heat and intake issues.
View attachment 51468[

I think you will find negatives like the ones here on any machine you look at. Your best bet would be to compare specifications and facts then decide what fits you. Owner reviews will vary so much they border on being useless. I don't envy anyone trying to decide nowadays.[/QUOTE

You're exactly right. It's really a double edge sword anymore. There's so much more competition across the board that your options available now are virtually endless. It is so much harder to decide which model you want now then it was even just a couple years ago when I picked up my last one. I can't seem to stop looking at them. It doesn't make it any easier when you start hearing about the rumors of all the different upcoming models too. Smh.

Reactions: joeymt33
JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You're exactly right. It's really a double edge sword anymore. There's so much more competition across the board that your options available now are virtually endless. It is so much harder to decide which model you want now then it was even just a couple years ago when I picked up my last one. I can't seem to stop looking at them. It doesn't make it any easier when you start hearing about the rumors of all the different upcoming models too. Smh.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As close as you are to Sept/Oct, I personally would wait and see what is coming. Yamaha did not release info on the 2018 Wolverine and is supposed to be making an announcement of some importance in Sept (Bigger engine or more seats or both) and Honda should have clutch fixes in place in the 2018 Pioneers coming to dealers maybe October ish. I would at least wait and see what Yamaha has in store. Might fix your conundrum.

That being said:

You are coming from a CVT, the Pioneer feels nothing like a CVT and if you like that feeling - Point Wolverine

The Pioneer has manual shifting and higher speeds it is a blast - Point Pioneer

The Pioneer has a lot of seat heat that bothers some - Point Wolverine

The Pioneer has a pretty noisy driveline - Point Wolverine

The Pioneer has a dumping bed - Point Pioneer

The Pioneer has a bench seat - Point Pioneer

The Wolverine has lots more onboard storage - Point Wolverine

The Wolverine has better shocks/suspension - Point Wolverine

The Can Am Defender is better than both of them - +100 Points Defender. :eek::p

Personally, the Wolverine was my first choice until my wife tilted the decision to the Pioneer (dumping bed). I did not like my Pioneer at all but I loved having the dumping bed (as did my wife). I purchased a Can Am Defender and I love it. Just to throw another variable into your thought process.

For reference my review/comparison:

My new Canned Ham!

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As close as you are to Sept/Oct, I personally would wait and see what is coming. Yamaha did not release info on the 2018 Wolverine and is supposed to be making an announcement of some importance in Sept (Bigger engine or more seats or both) and Honda should have clutch fixes in place in the 2018 Pioneers coming to dealers maybe October ish. I would at least wait and see what Yamaha has in store. Might fix your conundrum.

That being said:

You are coming from a CVT, the Pioneer feels nothing like a CVT and if you like that feeling - Point Wolverine

Personally, the Wolverine was my first choice until my wife tilted the decision to the Pioneer (dumping bed). I did not like my Pioneer at all but I loved having the dumping bed (as did my wife). I purchased a Can Am Defender and I love it. Just to throw another variable into your thought process.

My new Canned Ham!
Thanks for the breakdown. Honestly I would have never thought to look at a Defender before reading your article. After reading everybody's responses I'm sure glad my local dealer sells Honda, Yamaha, Can Am, and Polaris. Otherwise I'd be making a bunch of trips to individual dealerships it sounds.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I didn't have a family to haul around with me I'd be in a wolverine. The pioneer has been good to me but I worry about the clutches. If a belt fails it's an easy and cheap trailside fix. Clutches not so much.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

That being said:

My new Canned Ham!
I've noticed a couple of people have said the shocks on the Wolverine are better. Are the kyb shocks on the Wolverine better than the Fox equipped Pioneer? The Fox shocks were one of the reasons I looked at the p1000.

Reactions: sharp
JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I didn't have a family to haul around with me I'd be in a wolverine. The pioneer has been good to me but I worry about the clutches. If a belt fails it's an easy and cheap trailside fix. Clutches not so much.
When I decided to post my original question on here i really expected the response to be more favorable to the Honda. Thankfully I'm getting honest answers from actual owners and not just a review from a magazine. I'm not against the P1000 by any means it's just that there are some new variables to consider that i wasn't expecting. Like I was telling one of the other members, there are so many different models and options to consider now it almost becomes mind boggling. It's not as easy to choose as it was even a few years ago. But the machines are so much better now too.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is the answer I was waiting to see. With the bull stink that CP has had to go through, this is the perfect example of fair and balanced.

Currently own both. Different machines. The ride and comfort on the Spec far exceeds the Pioneer and slight lack of power can easily be made up because your not slowing down for things. Performance goes to Wolverine.
Pioneer is a multi passenger rig and is the best at it. It beats and bangs it's way through everything and the paddles make it feel more sporty.
I honestly love both but it really depends on what you're doing. You said you have two kids well then decision should be over-Pioneer.

CP, I wish I was as level headed as you are about this.

My $0.02 is that the P1K5 is a unique beast. It has features that I like that outweigh the trade offs that it has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I've noticed a couple of people have said the shocks on the Wolverine are better. Are the kyb shocks on the Wolverine better than the Fox equipped Pioneer? The Fox shocks were one of the reasons I looked at the p1000.
I've rode a little in the Honda 500, 700-4 and 1000-3le. I like the Fox shocks so far but my riding has not been too long in the 1000. Heat coming from shifter not a problem. Some plastic add on under the hood for water intake. Heat from seat not a problem till I put the windshield and top on and now the heat is noticeable.

Me, I wouldn't wait on Honda to do much but they are making slight changes as the product gets some time under it's belt. The Talon Sport will probably come out tomorrow and the new clutches too. I don't wait around because I can have thousands of miles and smiles in them before the next better mousetrap comes out.

Have fun and get something those kids can ride with you. ;)

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This is the answer I was waiting to see. With the bull stink that CP has had to go through, this is the perfect example of fair and balanced.

CP, I wish I was as level headed as you are about this.

My $0.02 is that the P1K5 is a unique beast. It has features that I like that outweigh the trade offs that it has.

I'd love the opportunity to drive one off road but I rarely see any pioneers and you never see a 3 seat P1000 le model. The dealerships may have a couple, but I've never come across one off road here in Ky.

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'd love the opportunity to drive one off road but I rarely see any pioneers and you never see a 3 seat P1000 le model. The dealerships may have a couple, but I've never come across one off road here in Ky.

Come ride with us down in ALABAMA!

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Come ride with us down in ALABAMA!

My younger brother just went down to Hoover Alabama this week to put in some applications. He's staying with friends now. If he decides to move there for good I'll try and get up with you all sometime.

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't compare to the wolverine as the Honda is the first SxS I have owned. I can tell you that while I have a 1k-5 my son who is 7 will ride in the middle i between me and my wife and we are plenty comfortable. I did a under hood snorkel for less than $25 for piece of mind and I also was able to resolve any heat issue in the summer by adding a underseat reflector - one that can be removed so that I can omplain about not enough heat in the winter.

You already know that the Honda or wolverine does not have the suspension a rzr has but I definitely have ridden mine on some rocky as heck trails with no issues other than the normal occasional cut tires and banged up rims.

I have never felt the need for more power and I have been up some inclines that I would not have gone up except I watched a Honda in front of me go up and I have been up inclines that guys in other machines would not go up.

Every machine is a compromise it is just where you decided to put weight on which pros and cons. I will warn you that if you go test drive a Honda do not be alarmed by the loud clicking you hear - the machine really quiets down after the first oil change/service. I will say don't underestimate the impact of a good dealer as well. A lot of little issues are solved or created by the dealer

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
All my T-Shirts have either "Honda" or "Honda Pioneer" or "HondaSxS Club" .......you get the idea... so I would have nothing to wear if I bought a different brand...haha
There are TON of options out there with all the machines now that makes shopping really fun.
BUT
There are a TON of options out there with all the machines that makes shopping really HARD.
With the amount of money these things cost, I know it can really make someone anxious and worried that they make the right choice.
Good Luck

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I can't compare to the wolverine as the Honda is the first SxS I have owned. I can tell you that while I have a 1k-5 my son who is 7 will ride in the middle i between me and my wife and we are plenty comfortable. I did a under hood snorkel for less than $25 for piece of mind and I also was able to resolve any heat issue in the summer by adding a underseat reflector - one that can be removed so that I can omplain about not enough heat in the winter.

You already know that the Honda or wolverine does not have the suspension a rzr has but I definitely have ridden mine on some rocky as heck trails with no issues other than the normal occasional cut tires and banged up rims.

I have never felt the need for more power and I have been up some inclines that I would not have gone up except I watched a Honda in front of me go up and I have been up inclines that guys in other machines would not go up.

Every machine is a compromise it is just where you decided to put weight on which pros and cons. I will warn you that if you go test drive a Honda do not be alarmed by the loud clicking you hear - the machine really quiets down after the first oil change/service. I will say don't underestimate the impact of a good dealer as well. A lot of little issues are solved or created by the dealer
Amen. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world. A few miles up the road in Georgetown Ky is a fantastic Arctic Cat dealer (MLS Powersports). It doesnt matter what brand I own at the time, MLS gets my business if I need to order anything or have my vehicles serviced.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
All my T-Shirts have either "Honda" or "Honda Pioneer" or "HondaSxS Club" .......you get the idea... so I would have nothing to wear if I bought a different brand...haha
There are TON of options out there with all the machines now that makes shopping really fun.
BUT
There are a TON of options out there with all the machines that makes shopping really HARD.
With the amount of money these things cost, I know it can really make someone anxious and worried that they make the right choice.
Good Luck
You hit the nail on the head. I don't jump into anything either so the over analyzing i do just adds to the frustration/enjoyment of trying to find something new.

Reactions: sharp and Deluxe700
Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You hit the nail on the head. I don't jump into anything either so the over analyzing i do just adds to the frustration/enjoyment of trying to find something new.
I have the 16 deluxe. No way would I buy another pioneer 1000. Cost way to much for what it is. Honda has got to step up and make a better machine. Just being honest about the 1000 deluxe 5 seater.

I have to agree with you. The noise my p1000 makes takes away the enjoyment of driving it. I feel like I am sitting on a piece of plywood. Think there was not enough r and d on the machine and Honda is sitting on there hands instead of solving the problems. I have a ridgline,350 rancher,250 sportrax, 80 cc dirt bike, 250 xl and Honda mower. And think they are pretty much bullet proof. My 1000 not that empressed with it maybe with time it will prove its self. My suggestion for anyone wanting to buy one is to drive one for an hour or two which more then likely you will have to find someone who has one and will take you out so I guess ride in one. Do more than a dealer parking lot drive like I did. If I had listened to my above advice I would have 16,000 in my bank account now and not have to solve issues that Honda should hav ironed out before they ever released it.

J

JTW

Exactly... you're trying to compare a suburban to a 4 banger jeep.. all while having a mustangs in the garage!

I would wait until the 18 stuff is out... I also wouldn't be interested in pioneer 3 seater. To me that defeats a big reason for choosing the pioneer. 5 seats in a smallish package. The pioneer is a jack of all trades master of none... you have to decide what you want and expect!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!