P1000 P1000 LE or Wolverine R Spec EPS SE

J

JTW

I know a few people have commented that Honda is repairing the clutches for 2018. Are they referring to the model year 2018 Pioneers because I notice they are already on the Honda website or is it a repair that won't take place till calendar year 2018? It's going to be an interesting month or two. Rumor on the Wolverine forum is it's getting a significant makeover especially in the engine department. Wolverine should be released in Sept. or Oct. of this year.
The 2018 model year.. supposed to be around mid October... now with all that said. I'd have to see what that new wolverine was going to be offering. Particularly if you don't need or want the Honda 5!

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
The real problem is the inconsistency of the failures. Some are big tires, some are bone stock. Instead of mechanical linkage, it used oil pressure to work the inner hub which clamps the clutch. There are so many variables it's hard to point to the exact problem. Even people with IGR's have had failures so gearing isn't the culprit. I agree with the QC comment. I think some bad units slipped through.

The mechanic at our shop was very unimpressed when he had to do a clutch replacement. He felt if was a pile of crap design, and he's been into alot of different' clutches over the years. So it's maybe more than a QC problem, probably leans a little more to a design problem.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You can run the 3 seater roof even without removing the rear ROPS. It's pretty easy to notch it so it fits over the ROPS.

I'm not a big fan of how the cage is shaped on the 5 seater, especially over and around the sides of the bed. I know it has to be shaped that way for proper protection I'm just not crazy about it.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The mechanic at our shop was very unimpressed when he had to do a clutch replacement. He felt if was a pile of crap design, and he's been into alot of different' clutches over the years. So it's maybe more than a QC problem, probably leans a little more to a design problem.
I totally agree with that. I've replaced more clutches than I could possibly count on street bikes and atvs. The p1k is way too complicated to be in an off-road vehicle. Nowhere near big enough and not enough plates. If it was a little beefier and mechanically actuated with a centrifugal or torque converter on the crank, the p1k would be as close to perfect as I would want it. That being said I got nothing but praise for how mines handled the abuse I've put it through.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I totally agree with that. I've replaced more clutches than I could possibly count on street bikes and atvs. The p1k is way too complicated to be in an off-road vehicle. Nowhere near big enough and not enough plates. If it was a little beefier and mechanically actuated with a centrifugal or torque converter on the crank, the p1k would be as close to perfect as I would want it. That being said I got nothing but praise for how mines handled the abuse I've put it through.
On a side note, it's nothing compared to the John Deere 650 buck atv I worked on. The inner hub was broken in pieces. Cause it was plastic lol. Seriously, plastic. CanAm makes those and did a ridiculous job of it.

Reactions: 0860silverado
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Opinions are like you know what... my opinion is that it is partially the larger heavier tires and where you ride them. I’m sure you would burn up belts with 31”+ tires in mud up to the dash... those guys I think get what is expected. However, there are some units that just burn up clutches for no reason really. Again, I think this is a QC issue. Most guys have had good luck on their replacement clutches once the oil valves have been chamfered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I believe chamfered is the key, may have been a step missed during assembly.

Reactions: Mudwing and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just checked out some of the videos. Reminds me a lot of the ride spots here in Ky especially those in the eastern part of ky. Any of you guys ever come up here and ride? The area around Natural Bridge, Townsend Tunnel, and Slade Ky is a fantastic place to ride and explore. Tons of YouTube videos out there of them
Ive never ride in ky but I'm down for it. I'll check out those vids.

Reactions: JTW and JM10614
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are you saying Honda engineers are dumb a*****, I will agree!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda engineers may have got it figured out from the start put faulty clutches in and we wouldn't gripe about the heat, because we couldn't ride them due to the clutches being out!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda engineers may have got it figured out from the start put faulty clutches in and we wouldn't gripe about the heat, because we couldn't ride them due to the clutches being out!
I hope Honda is watching this forum, because, if they don't take care of their customers, I'll be buying another brand next time!

Reactions: sharp and JM10614
JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Lol. That's why the engineers get paid the big bucks.

Reactions: sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just FYI... you can take the rear rops off and run a 3 seater roof on a PK5
Didn't know that. Honda should put that in their literature. The only reason I didn't buy a 5 is because I couldn't get past their frumpy styling. They look like an elephant raping a cat.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No they are plenty smart. I think they tried to impress people and flex their technical muscles by installing a complicated system in their sxs. When tried and true would have been ideal. Honda has sucked at 3 specific designs. Mechanical camchain tensioners, hydraulic camchain tensioners (cbr1000f), and stators (mid 70s-early 90s street bikes. 84 Goldwing particularly). It's possible the dct might be a 4th.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No they are plenty smart. I think they tried to impress people and flex their technical muscles by installing a complicated system in their sxs. When tried and true would have been ideal. Honda has sucked at 3 specific designs. Mechanical camchain tensioners, hydraulic camchain tensioners (cbr1000f), and stators (mid 70s-early 90s street bikes. 84 Goldwing particularly). It's possible the dct might be a 4th.
But I still LOVE my p1k and plan on keeping it for many years to come.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You really know your Hondas sir. Kudos to you!

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
4th would be the Odyssey trans. Missed that one badly.
I'm old. I remember when Honda's slogan was "Honda...we make it simple." Highly refined simple machinery. Beautiful.

Reactions: JM10614 and JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
4th would be the Odyssey trans. Missed that one badly.

I'm old. I remember when Honda's slogan was "Honda...we make it simple." Highly refined simple machinery. Beautiful.
Sorry no experience with the Odyssey but wanted one really bad. I've worked on a bunch of things but tried to avoid off-road stuff when possible. And weedeaters. I drag raced a cbr1000f and then a cbr900rr for close to 20 years. The 900 had a small clutch (diameter wise) but was one of the strongest ever made. Factory plates would last me half a season and that's saying something. 1.40ish 60' times aren't easy, especially on clutches.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!