P1000 P1000 LE or Wolverine R Spec EPS SE

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Honda uses a DCT in their Rubicon and their Rancher models. A nearly identical engine/DCT is used on the Africa Twin. None of those units have the problems the Pioneer has. Now they are different applications but the basic design seems to work fine. It is a very complicated system not even taking the assembly process into account and it is taking Honda a while to determine which variables are causing problems and it is likely a combination of them that is doing it. Honda WILL figure out what isn't working so I wouldn't let the clutches drive my decision about whether to get the machine or not.

My biggest gripe with my Pioneer was the fact I didn't like the way it worked for my uses. I use it around very hilly property going 1-10 MPH. The Pioneer was annoying to use like this for me. It generated a lot of heat, I had the choice of either putting it in Manual and forcing it to stay in 1st gear up to 7-8 MPH and letting the engine scream like a jet engine or leave it in auto and have it shift between 1st and 2nd. While shifting in High Range isn't too bad, Low Range shifting will make you head bang. Do that for an hour and I get really annoyed. A CVT is much better for me in this situation and I prefer it. Riding pretty fast, the ability of the Pioneer to shift was really fun and it was very useful to upshift to a higher gear and make it much quieter. But you can only do that when you are going fairly fast. Not something you can do when you are going slow because the transmission will automatically downshift to a lower gear to prevent lugging and prevent damage to the clutches. I was also aggravated with the seeming constant requirement to "fix" something. Either the mode selector was going out or screws/bolts were backing out/falling out or parts wouldn't fit. That got really old, really fast. I prefer the Defender so far other than not having shifting.

If you want something that has a tilting bed and the ability to carry more than 3 people and you want to be less than 10 feet long, the Pioneer is your ONLY choice right now.

If you don't want a tilting bed and are okay with a little noise/heat and want to comfortably haul people the Kawasaki Teryx-4 is short and very durable but it is hotter and noisier than the Pioneer and it has less wheel travel.

If you don't mind a little longer machine (133 inches) and still have a tilting bed the Kawasaki Mule Pro FXT is out there. It isn't as fast as the Pioneer but it is extremely durable and can seat 6.

I only need to haul myself and my wife or myself and my brother most of the time. The Defender suits me better but you should try several before you buy. The Pioneer may be a better fit for you and your circumstances. But don't let the clutches be your deciding factor. Lots of guys here and on Facebook don't have any problems at all. Make your choice based on the features and how you will use it because everything out there can fail given the right circumstances. For instance you would think that the Kubota SXS is so slow and heavily built that it should be impervious to problems until you read their forums. ;)

Since I will be using it for trail riding 99% of the time a tilt bed really isn't a necessity for me. Also since I'll be keeping my Rzr I really don't need a traditional 4 seater either (not a fan of the added length and styling on the majority of them). What I like about the Pioneer was it's ability to seat 3 without having to buy the P1000-5 model (Not to offend anyone but I'm not a fan of how the 5 seat model looks). This would allow me to keep my RZR at home on the times we don't have a large crowd travelling with us. In addition I really liked the upgraded suspension and other amenities added in 2017 to the LE model.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They are really plain but great rig! One timing belt and never even an alignment on all the dirt roads. Don't want to sell it to get something with issues lol. Good truck

I bought mine off my mother in law and it was mint. I ended up going through a real crappy divorce and sold it just so I wouldn't have any more ties to them. Stupid, stupid, stupid on my part.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Soooo...You're basically saying that you can't assemble a transmission. Takes a big man to admit his weakness.
I don't know how to calibrate ground test equipment on the space shuttle either but don't consider it a weakness lol. Alot of us maint techs that work at engine assembly plants don't rebuild tranny's. Guess I should've specified my job description hub? ( Attempt at humor not being an azz).

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since I will be using it for trail riding 99% of the time a tilt bed really isn't a necessity for me. Also since I'll be keeping my Rzr I really don't need a traditional 4 seater either (not a fan of the added length and styling on the majority of them). What I like about the Pioneer was it's ability to seat 3 without having to buy the P1000-5 model (Not to offend anyone but I'm not a fan of how the 5 seat model looks). This would allow me to keep my RZR at home on the times we don't have a large crowd travelling with us. In addition I really liked the upgraded suspension and other amenities added in 2017 to the LE model.
If you do end up with a p1k, I'm betting it will be your favorite over the rzr for trail riding. Especially in really nasty stuff. I'm telling ya, load up the rzr and come ride Bull Run with me and a couple other members. You'll be writing that check on the ride back to KY.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you do end up with a p1k, I'm betting it will be your favorite over the rzr for trail riding. Especially in really nasty stuff. I'm telling ya, load up the rzr and come ride Bull Run with me and a couple other members. You'll be writing that check on the ride back to KY.

Where is that at exactly?

Reactions: sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't know how to calibrate ground test equipment on the space shuttle either but don't consider it a weakness lol. Alot of us maint techs that work at engine assembly plants don't rebuild tranny's. Guess I should've specified my job description hub? ( Attempt at humor not being an azz).
LOL!!! I'm just messin with ya. Your post was too good to let that slide without a little ribbing. I was wondering how long it would take for you to respond!

Reactions: sharp and JM10614
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
LOL!!! I'm just messin with ya. Your post was too good to let that slide without a little ribbing. I was wondering how long it would take for you to respond!
I know dude lol. I'm not sure how long it was posted before I even seen it. Been busy waterproofing mine. Or trying to anyways. Haven't checked my phone much today

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you like hill climbing, rock climbing, and sticky mud you'll love this place.

Sounds fun. My younger brother is down in Hoover Alabama right now interviewing for a job. If he ends up getting it I may just hit you'll up on my way to visit him.

Reactions: sharp and Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds fun. My younger brother is down in Hoover Alabama right now interviewing for a job. If he ends up getting it I may just hit you'll up on my way to visit him.
Cool hope that works out. Pic from our last group ride there. This last fall.
IMG 20161118 111138086 800x450

I think 12 was the official count. You won't find many complaints from this bunch.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Next time you're on YouTube, search Delton Mims or Joeymt33. Tons of bull run videos on there. You'll see what we put them through. My Ranger pull up that steep rock hill is on there. Camera guy had hell keeping up lol.

J

JTW

Just FYI... you can take the rear rops off and run a 3 seater roof on a PK5

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

If I didn't need/want a tilt bed and was going trail riding most of the time, I would own a Wolverine right now. (That was actually my original plan :) ) It is an excellent value for the money. But needing to seat 3 the Pioneer would be the better choice and if you are going to be doing trail riding, especially above 10 MPH, the Pioneer would be awesome. Those shifters are A LOT of fun.

Personally, I think I would go with an EPS model and buy the add-ons I wanted separate. I would prefer to have the locking front diff instead of the LE model brake actuated traction control.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Next time you're on YouTube, search Delton Mims or Joeymt33. Tons of bull run videos on there. You'll see what we put them through. My Ranger pull up that steep rock hill is on there. Camera guy had hell keeping up lol.

Sounds good I'll check it out right now.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I didn't need/want a tilt bed and was going trail riding most of the time, I would own a Wolverine right now. (That was actually my original plan :) ) It is an excellent value for the money. But needing to seat 3 the Pioneer would be the better choice and if you are going to be doing trail riding, especially above 10 MPH, the Pioneer would be awesome. Those shifters are A LOT of fun.

Personally, I think I would go with an EPS model and buy the add-ons I wanted separate. I would prefer to have the locking front diff instead of the LE model brake actuated traction control.

I meant to actually ask that question earlier if it would be better just to buy a eps model. Thanks for the recommendation

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know a few people have commented that Honda is repairing the clutches for 2018. Are they referring to the model year 2018 Pioneers because I notice they are already on the Honda website or is it a repair that won't take place till calendar year 2018? It's going to be an interesting month or two. Rumor on the Wolverine forum is it's getting a significant makeover especially in the engine department. Wolverine should be released in Sept. or Oct. of this year.

JM10614

JM10614

Aug 10, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Just checked out some of the videos. Reminds me a lot of the ride spots here in Ky especially those in the eastern part of ky. Any of you guys ever come up here and ride? The area around Natural Bridge, Townsend Tunnel, and Slade Ky is a fantastic place to ride and explore. Tons of YouTube videos out there of them

Reactions: Delton and sharp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!