sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure you're working @joeymt33, but whenever you get time I'd love to know whether you were able to quite that godawful noise on those shocks. I'm dying to order a set, but I can't live with that racket unless there is a way to quieten it down some...
I read somewhere that the bushings at the bolting locations need to be greased (inside an O ring?) to quieten them down...
He was behind me on the trail the other day, and the squeaks were loud and non stop. Like you said some grease should fix that.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm sure you're working @joeymt33, but whenever you get time I'd love to know whether you were able to quite that godawful noise on those shocks. I'm dying to order a set, but I can't live with that racket unless there is a way to quieten it down some...
I read somewhere that the bushings at the bolting locations need to be greased (inside an O ring?) to quieten them down...

He was behind me on the trail the other day, and the squeaks were loud and non stop. Like you said some grease should fix that.

I will hopefully get to finishing my review this weekend.

But, I can tell you that there is no quieting them down. The noise is internal like a cavitation sound of the fluid going thru the needle valve.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will hopefully get to finishing my review this weekend.

But, I can tell you that there is no quieting them down. The noise is internal like a cavitation sound of the fluid going thru the needle valve.
How in the hell can they sell these making that racket??? GEEEEEZ Guess now I'll have to wait and see how far Honda wants me to bend over for the Fox shocks...

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is strange . . the ones I had for the 700 were quiet. seems like a fluke. it's not like they are built any different than any other shock they produce .

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
AK was saying his were noisy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yep, out of the box. It's definitely not the helm joint.

Here is another video on same thing.

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have lightly researched it.
Find reports of there being air mixed in with the oil that causes the noise.

We need to find someone else with a set of these and ask.

@Plumber32, Did you have the monotube or piggybacks?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have lightly researched it.
Find reports of there being air mixed in with the oil that causes the noise.

We need to find someone else with a set of these and ask.

@Plumber32, Did you have the monotube or piggybacks?
monotube.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@snuffnwhisky has the Elka's and they didn't make noise at Bull Run. At least I didn't hear.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@snuffnwhisky has the Elka's and they didn't make noise at Bull Run. At least I didn't hear.

Signature:

QUOTE by Sharp, Where's Don? He's probably spray painting stuff lmfao!
Other than the noise, it looked like you were going up and over everything with ease.

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Other than the noise, it looked like you were going up and over everything with ease.

That's true! Their performance and adjustments are awesome. I can't believe how smooth the faster you go. They seem to be very high quality all the way around. It's just that damn noise. I will say that after having them now for a couple months, I really don't notice it and it doesn't seem to bother me. BUT, how come my Fox on the P700 didn't make that noise. How come I didn't hear snuffnwhisky's Elka's?

I need someone much smarter than me to explain what that noise is and why it's there. There may be a trade off. IDK

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's true! Their performance and adjustments are awesome. I can't believe how smooth the faster you go. They seem to be very high quality all the way around. It's just that damn noise. I will say that after having them now for a couple months, I really don't notice it and it doesn't seem to bother me. BUT, how come my Fox on the P700 didn't make that noise. How come I didn't hear snuffnwhisky's Elka's?

I need someone much smarter than me to explain what that noise is and why it's there. There may be a trade off. IDK
who else has the WE? @AKRider ? Maybe he can chime in and advise whether his sounded as awful as Joeys did in the earlier video...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not yet. I can add preload and turn the compression up to compensate if needed. I'll do some more checking this weekend but initially the rear spring rate seemed close if not higher than stock in the rear. A lot higher in the front. Stock with the rear sway bar, you could rock the top side to side pretty aggressively. Now with the swaybar removed and shocks, u can push it over a few inches and have to pull it back. Feels a lot more controlled off camber. Really need a stock one side by side to compare everything.

sounds like we need to get together and do a 3-way comparison of shocks. Elka's VS WE, VS stock.

We just picked up another P1000 for my father that has stockers on it.

I've got some ideas, I may holler at you in a day or two when I get out of MS and back to Bama.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
sounds like we need to get together and do a 3-way comparison of shocks. Elka's VS WE, VS stock.

We just picked up another P1000 for for my father that has stockers on it.

I've got some ideas, I may holler at you in a day or two when I get out of MS and back to Bama.
Sounds good.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I guess mine might be just as loud as @joeymt33 I really didn't notice it much when riding, though. I might give WE a call and see what's up. I've tried to upload the video but I guess the forum doesn't like .mp4 files. I'll see what I can do with it.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I talked with WE customer service, and they said the thrushing sound is normal for this shock. They said what we are hearing is the indeed the fluid flowing through the needle valve. I had these set at a fairly light compression. I'll crank it up and see what happens. While I understand others having an issue with it, I'm not too concerned. I have yet to worry about fixing the rattles from the dump bed. Where I ride you can usually here machines coming for a very long time, no matter how quiet or slow they are. Like I said earlier, I don't notice it when I'm driving it, so it doesn't bother me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!