P1000 P1K Ended Up on Its Roof

Troutspanker

Troutspanker

Oct 30, 2019
Northern Anoka County
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
On a fishing trip and slid off a narrow trail down a steep embankment, landed on roof. Was so steep that the passenger side barely hit the ground....it was essentially about a 12' drop onto the roof. Were able to get it tipped over and drove it back to camp. I was able to check all the fluids; added a bit of oil to the transmission and topped off the front and rear differentials, as some had leaked out of the vent lines in the 5 minutes or so it was on its roof. Drove it the rest of trip, but rear suspension seemed a little soft - wanted to roll on corners.

Damage:
Roll cage was pushed back and tweaked toward the drivers side, cross bar with head rests snapped their welds by the middle of the box, passenger side shock seems damaged. The rear passenger side A-arm now sits about 1/4" lower than the drivers side. I'm not sure if the arm itself bent or the frame was tweaked? Insurance adjuster, based only on pictures, thinks it's fixable and wants me to take it into a Honda dealer to get looked over. My question is, do most Honda ATV/UTV dealers have in-house folks that can judge/straighten a bent frame? Any advice on making sure nothing gets over-looked and becomes a problem down the road would be greatly appreciated. 2021 with only 751 miles on it.
Pass 125
Dr 1275
Passenger side 4
Rear Arms

Rear Arms

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
On a fishing trip and slid off a narrow trail down a steep embankment, landed on roof. Was so steep that the passenger side barely hit the ground....it was essentially about a 12' drop onto the roof. Were able to get it tipped over and drove it back to camp. I was able to check all the fluids; added a bit of oil to the transmission and topped off the front and rear differentials, as some had leaked out of the vent lines in the 5 minutes or so it was on its roof. Drove it the rest of trip, but rear suspension seemed a little soft - wanted to roll on corners.

Damage:
Roll cage was pushed back and tweaked toward the drivers side, cross bar with head rests snapped their welds by the middle of the box, passenger side shock seems damaged. The rear passenger side A-arm now sits about 1/4" lower than the drivers side. I'm not sure if the arm itself bent or the frame was tweaked? Insurance adjuster, based only on pictures, thinks it's fixable and wants me to take it into a Honda dealer to get looked over. My question is, do most Honda ATV/UTV dealers have in-house folks that can judge/straighten a bent frame? Any advice on making sure nothing gets over-looked and becomes a problem down the road would be greatly appreciated. 2021 with only 751 miles on it.
View attachment 346768View attachment 346769View attachment 346770View attachment 346771

View attachment 346767, apply the funds towards real shocks
If they give you money to replace to replace the shocks, don't, apply the funds towards real shocks. Glad your OK!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your frame is determined to be damaged in any way, the insurance company is going to total it.

At least that's what we've seen from anyone with a damaged frame here.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your frame is determined to be damaged in any way, the insurance company is going to total it.

You’re probably right but it can be fixed with new parts. Mine looked worse and I fixed it. Had no choice.

advertisement
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV

That was true back when you could buy a new one for $16k OTD. They don’t total them anymore for the frame damage. My 2018 with just shy of 3k miles booked for $23k when the adjuster came to look at it for the cage and frame tab…. I know they didn’t come close to totaling out @TripleB rig for it either.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That was true back when you could buy a new one for $16k OTD. They don’t total them anymore for the frame damage. My 2018 with just shy of 3k miles booked for $23k when the adjuster came to look at it for the cage and frame tab…. I know they didn’t come close to totaling out @TripleB rig for it either.
Thanks for the perspective, I don't recall either of your stories and your experience with insurance.

So guys have torn their front tabs out and insurance fixed it? Did they pay for welding repair, or frame replacement?

It seems everyone I've seen with front tab tears gets totaled, and I'm talking recent (not the old days.)

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thanks for the perspective, I don't recall either of your stories and your experience with insurance.

So guys have torn their front tabs out and insurance fixed it? Did they pay for welding repair, or frame replacement?

It seems everyone I've seen with front tab tears gets totaled, and I'm talking recent (not the old days.)
Yep, frame replacement. It's cheaper for them to do a complete frame replacement than total it now. Pretty crazy.

denone

denone

Supporting Member
Nov 18, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tore my front tab in April on my 2018 and Progressive would not allow a frame replacement. I forgot to follow the auction for mine on Copart and can‘t find what it sold for now.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I tore my front tab in April on my 2018 and Progressive would not allow a frame replacement. I forgot to follow the auction for mine on Copart and can‘t find what it sold for now.
Guess it depends on the state and the adjuster. In LA, they have to total it if damages reach 75% of the value of the machine. Anything else is up to the adjuster I guess.

advertisement