P1000 P1K5 bed extender

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok I have seen the bed extenders on the market but am wandering if anyone out there has built one themselves? I am a build it yourself kinda guy to start with and am wanting one that will have a fold down tailgate. My 80 yr old father still deer hunts by himself and doesn't think he needs Help loading deer so my thoughts are if the extender would have an opening tailgate then with bed up it would be close enough to the ground he could winch it up in the bed. May not touch the ground but be close enough he wouldn't have to lift much. Thinking ratchet strap or boat winch off of top mid rops to get it in the bed. Any thoughts on this or seen problems would be appreciated.

O2bsmitty

O2bsmitty

Mar 29, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has anyone had a problem with a bed extender with a loaded cooler adding too much weight to the rear as far as climbing hills? Was thinking with 2 people in back when needing the extra space this might be an issue?

Bobby_BAS

Bobby_BAS

Apr 25, 2017
Stearns, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone had a problem with a bed extender with a loaded cooler adding too much weight to the rear as far as climbing hills? Was thinking with 2 people in back when needing the extra space this might be an issue?
I don't have a bed extender but I do normally ride with my cooler ratcheted in place behind the two rear sides with the tailgate down. It's never been an issue and my cooler is heavy (it's the big Ozark Trail "Yeti knock-off"). I typically have to my 2 kids in the rear seats so while they're not as much weight as 2 adults, I couldn't see it being an issue.

Reactions: O2bsmitty
ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I have seen the bed extenders on the market but am wandering if anyone out there has built one themselves? I am a build it yourself kinda guy to start with and am wanting one that will have a fold down tailgate. My 80 yr old father still deer hunts by himself and doesn't think he needs Help loading deer so my thoughts are if the extender would have an opening tailgate then with bed up it would be close enough to the ground he could winch it up in the bed. May not touch the ground but be close enough he wouldn't have to lift much. Thinking ratchet strap or boat winch off of top mid rops to get it in the bed. Any thoughts on this or seen problems would be appreciated.

That sounds like it would work and be a good project. I just picked up a bed extender for a Ford pickup off Craigslist for 30 bucks that I am going to cut down for my 1000-5. That way for long trips I have lots of space for extra gas a spare tire.

N8theGR8

N8theGR8

Oct 3, 2019
Central Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Here are my mods for my P700

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!