Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I ordered them from a company our of California called ishock. I didn't order straight from elks
That was what I was talking about, any rework on Elka's goes back to I Shock as well. I Shock is the distributor for Elka in the States now.

Last edited:
Caddy

Caddy

Jun 14, 2019
Rosewood, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For a 1000-5 you should have looked at the 814’s a little closer. The overall suspension geometry will never get you to the ride of a CanAm. I installed the upgraded 814 trail versions on my P1k5 and they work great along with another 1-1/2” clearance for$1k less.
I am looking at these but not sure if it would be worth it or not to go to the step above with the extra adjustments.

How much do you like the trail version?

Reactions: Lady01
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking at these but not sure if it would be worth it or not to go to the step above with the extra adjustments.

How much do you like the trail version?
814 needs to come up with another name for this new version of their trail series. I purchased the new series and they’re working out great. When they say that they‘re 3 way adjustable it means compression, rebound and spring preload. This new version also makes a change in internal valving of some kind that reacts differently to rapid shock movement vs slower movements. For the riding conditions you have in the east, I’d go with the standard trail version, they’re still 3 way adjustable. Put the extra money in a full width skid plate, winch or something else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and Caddy
Caddy

Caddy

Jun 14, 2019
Rosewood, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
814 needs to come up with another name for this new version of their trail series. I purchased the new series and they’re working out great. When they say that they‘re 3 way adjustable it means compression, rebound and spring preload. This new version also makes a change in internal valving of some kind that reacts differently to rapid shock movement vs slower movements. For the riding conditions you have in the east, I’d go with the standard trail version, they’re still 3 way adjustable. Put the extra money in a full width skid plate, winch or something else.
Defiantly good to know! I just know that with the hard pack and rocky trails that I hit now with the stock suspension, I feel like it's going to rattle my fillings loose! I do tend to ride pretty hard and not very often but occasionally I would like to get airborne lol! Just not too much air... I've also been researching the other offerings (Fox, Elka, WE, ect.) I don't mind spending the $$$ to get the ride I want, I just don't want to do it and wish I'd gone a different route....

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Defiantly good to know! I just know that with the hard pack and rocky trails that I hit now with the stock suspension, I feel like it's going to rattle my fillings loose! I do tend to ride pretty hard and not very often but occasionally I would like to get airborne lol! Just not too much air... I've also been researching the other offerings (Fox, Elka, WE, ect.) I don't mind spending the $$$ to get the ride I want, I just don't want to do it and wish I'd gone a different route....
Dddonkey did a review on his YouTube channel(Dirt’N’diesel) and seems to really like them. He has the original 3 way’s. Like I said, I have the newer upgraded version and I’m pleased with them. I ride a lot of washboard sand washes and when on our trails frequently a lot of loose rocks and v cuts across the trail from erosion. I haven’t moved the rebound dampening from the 7th position and I now have the compression set at 3 on all corners. So far no bottoming out, but I really don’t see any need to get airborne. I don’t like fixing broken stuff from pushing that hard. All of my suspension is still original after 3,000 miles with exception of the shocks.

Reactions: Lady01 and Caddy
Caddy

Caddy

Jun 14, 2019
Rosewood, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dddonkey did a review on his YouTube channel(Dirt’N’diesel) and seems to really like them. He has the original 3 way’s. Like I said, I have the newer upgraded version and I’m pleased with them. I ride a lot of washboard sand washes and when on our trails frequently a lot of loose rocks and v cuts across the trail from erosion. I haven’t moved the rebound dampening from the 7th position and I now have the compression set at 3 on all corners. So far no bottoming out, but I really don’t see any need to get airborne. I don’t like fixing broken stuff from pushing that hard. All of my suspension is still original after 3,000 miles with exception of the shocks.
Alright so I'm kinda nerding out... Been talking to my buddy (has a woods buggy with Kings and Fox shocks). Anyway he's asking about other adjustments since the 814 says that they are rebuildable. Can you adjust the N2 pressure in these and what valving "washers" are available to further customize these? I know that these are questions that I should be asking the guy at 814, but I work nights and well I'll just say that is when I get the most time to do my research....

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright so I'm kinda nerding out... Been talking to my buddy (has a woods buggy with Kings and Fox shocks). Anyway he's asking about other adjustments since the 814 says that they are rebuildable. Can you adjust the N2 pressure in these and what valving "washers" are available to further customize these? I know that these are questions that I should be asking the guy at 814, but I work nights and well I'll just say that is when I get the most time to do my research....
The 814’s are not charged with nitrogen, and I have no idea what other valving options are available. Any of the other shock will also do a better job than the stock shocks. If you’re trying to get your Pioneer to ride like a CanAm x3, it’s not going to happen. The suspension geometry just isn’t there.

Caddy

Caddy

Jun 14, 2019
Rosewood, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get that it isn't going to ride like a can am and tbh I don't know how they ride... haven't been in one... we were just talking about fine tuningand he has the setup to adjust n2 if it used it....

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If you don’t mind spending, then go got the Elka stage 5

You won’t regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get that it isn't going to ride like a can am and tbh I don't know how they ride... haven't been in one... we were just talking about fine tuningand he has the setup to adjust n2 if it used it....
Just finished Charouleau Gap trail near Oracle, AZ which is rated 3.5 for Jeep trails in the area. If you do any higher ratings, be prepared for a lot of winching and body damage. Anyway, I feel that the 814 trail series would have been plenty for the ride. Never bottomed the shocks out, but probably have some new scars on my new 1/2” UHMW skid plate.
2A84ECA1 BC11 4118 85AE 57BCC39C8B0F
B511B968 60CE 4086 995E 751FE380237C

Caddy

Caddy

Jun 14, 2019
Rosewood, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just finished Charouleau Gap trail near Oracle, AZ which is rated 3.5 for Jeep trails in the area. If you do any higher ratings, be prepared for a lot of winching and body damage. Anyway, I feel that the 814 trail series would have been plenty for the ride. Never bottomed the shocks out, but probably have some new scars on my new 1/2” UHMW skid plate.View attachment 270828View attachment 270829
Nice! Thank you again for the input on them!

M

matt kruckenberg

Jun 15, 2021
murray utha
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello
New guy here
Picked up a 2120 700-4 with 28 inch BFG’S
First trip to cabin in southern Utah put about 170 miles on and definitely want better shocks
I put Icon 3.0 on my Toyota and absolutely love the ride
Looking at 814 and Elka
Are these able to be rebuilt
And does the Quad boss or High Lifter give me enough room to clear the inner corner
Thanks

108BB688 8C31 422F 8FB1 1B6CA112A05D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!