P1000 Upgraded Shocks Recommendations

G

GolfCart

Mar 4, 2023
NH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree with the Fox shocks and Throttle Maxx.
Shocks were a big improvement and easy adjustment.
Made my own "Throttle Maxx" and makes the gas pedal much smoother on the bumpy stuff.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
OK, I ordered the Fox Shocks from Ronayers.com for anyone reading this....Right now they are just under $1500.00 free shipping.

Thank you so much everyone who responded.

TBH my husband doesn't think we need to upgrade the shocks and is grumpy about this, he thinks a ThrottleMaxx will fix me whining about the ride on rough roads lol! So I didn't really have such a problem with our previous P700 because we always went really slowww over everything. The P1000 just doesn't want to go slow and the bumps get bumpier at a faster pace.

I will update when we get these shocks and install them, including what the grumpy husband thinks :D
Awesome - you will be very very happy with your decision.

My buddy did this to his base 16 model P13K and was very pleased.

Reactions: NevadaCC
GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon R
OK, I ordered the Fox Shocks from Ronayers.com for anyone reading this....Right now they are just under $1500.00 free shipping.

Thank you so much everyone who responded.

TBH my husband doesn't think we need to upgrade the shocks and is grumpy about this, he thinks a ThrottleMaxx will fix me whining about the ride on rough roads lol! So I didn't really have such a problem with our previous P700 because we always went really slowww over everything. The P1000 just doesn't want to go slow and the bumps get bumpier at a faster pace.

I will update when we get these shocks and install them, including what the grumpy husband thinks :D
Once you get them he will change his mind. It’s a MUCH better ride.

S

Scamih

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 6989

Torque values. 47

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
We received the shocks while we were camping, just got back.

Any advice for installing them or is it as easy as it looks?

Easy to install. Jack up till the wheels are off the ground, Change shocks. One at a time, or all together.

I usually put a floor jack between the front an arms and do the front 2 shocks. Then the same under the hitch and do the back 2

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
TBH my husband doesn't think we need to upgrade the shocks and is grumpy about this.
Ha! He's in for a huge surprise. This shock upgrade is the single biggest comfort change you can make on a P1000. Like night and day better...

advertisement
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We received the shocks while we were camping, just got back.

Any advice for installing them or is it as easy as it looks?
Make sure the rears are on the correct side or you will smash you brake lines and maybe damage the shock resivors. I did this when I got the Fox shocks years ago. I got lucky and only damaged my brake lines.

Reactions: JenElio and futzin
S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Make sure the rears are on the correct side or you will smash you brake lines and maybe damage the shock resivors. I did this when I got the Fox shocks years ago. I got lucky and only damaged my brake lines.
No way, not you?

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB and JenElio
NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So to update, we put the throttlemaxx on and then husband injured his knee tripping over the jack lol. Got a friend to install the fox shocks this morning, it took him about 1 1/2 hours and then we took it out for a quick 4wd.

The ride is really improved, it was a washboard road with big ruts and rocky areas and strong inclines and the friend flew over everything smoothly. I was passenger and I can’t believe the difference, was hardly bounced around and this guy was hauling butt way faster than we usually go.

So fox shocks are a really great improvement, he said the throttlemaxx was nice to use as well. Of course I had him put the shocks on the softest setting and it handled very well. It seemed to add about 1 inch of ground clearance unloaded.

Husband is now crippled for awhile so he can’t even try everything out 😝

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So to update, we put the throttlemaxx on and then husband injured his knee tripping over the jack lol. Got a friend to install the fox shocks this morning, it took him about 1 1/2 hours and then we took it out for a quick 4wd.

The ride is really improved, it was a washboard road with big ruts and rocky areas and strong inclines and the friend flew over everything smoothly. I was passenger and I can’t believe the difference, was hardly bounced around and this guy was hauling butt way faster than we usually go.

So fox shocks are a really great improvement, he said the throttlemaxx was nice to use as well. Of course I had him put the shocks on the softest setting and it handled very well. It seemed to add about 1 inch of ground clearance unloaded.

Husband is now crippled for awhile so he can’t even try everything out 😝
Stupid jacks tripping husbands! Glad the shocks are making y’all happy though!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It seemed to add about 1 inch of ground clearance unloaded.
That's adjustable. You can add/remove preload to increase/decrease the ground clearance. Too much preload can result in a harsher ride depending upon how much weight you've got in the buggy, and not enough preload can lead to damaging the springs if too loose and not seated properly. You can/should also consider swapping the springs if the total weight of passengers & gear during your typical ride is heavier than what one might all 'typical'.

NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's adjustable. You can add/remove preload to increase/decrease the ground clearance. Too much preload can result in a harsher ride depending upon how much weight you've got in the buggy, and not enough preload can lead to damaging the springs if too loose and not seated properly. You can/should also consider swapping the springs if the total weight of passengers & gear during your typical ride is heavier than what one might all 'typical'.
I think I understand what you are describing.

However, the shocks came with 0 information or instructions, just refer you to the Honda website and a pdf for installation diagrams. It’s just take out old shocks after lifting on jack and removing wheel, use same bolts, stick new shocks like so, stick wheels back on.

The end.

I can’t wait to drive it myself. Hopefully husband can at least ride shotgun in a few days. Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
However, the shocks came with 0 information or instructions, just refer you to the Honda website and a pdf for installation diagrams.

That's SOP for Honda branded accessories. I'm OK with that, because (assuming they update them as needed), you are assured you always have the latest and greatest instructions.

It’s just take out old shocks after lifting on jack and removing wheel, use same bolts, stick new shocks like so, stick wheels back on.

You can adjust the preload before or after installation. It's easier to do when they are off the machine, but you can definitely do it while the are on the machine. You'll need a spanner wrench. Some folks just bang it around with a screwdriver and hammer or similar setup, but I usually try to do it the right way.

I can’t wait to drive it myself. Hopefully husband can at least ride shotgun in a few days. Ugh.
I've been trying to get Mrs Scoop to drive the Talon, but she says that's just not her thing. She only drives the P1K5 around the property, never out on the trails, either.

NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been trying to get Mrs Scoop to drive the Talon, but she says that's just not her thing. She only drives the P1K5 around the property, never out on the trails, either.
I love 4wd’ing. I love exploring routes and remote wilderness. Was a big hiker and mountain biker into remote areas. Still enjoy both activities, but some of the trails are too much now. With the Acme (our name for the Pioneer) we can get to all the remote areas in the mountains and canyons again.

Used to have dirt bikes and quads and then they got too bumpy and loud for me. I want to enjoy nature more. The Acme isn’t as quiet as my horses were, but it’s quieter than most OHV. We favor routes with water for the dogs to play in and of course the views. Incredible.

After the fox shocks were installed the friend took me out for a test ride. In about 15 minutes we were on a mountain top at 6000’ elevation overlooking my city above my home. Just flew over miles of rough road enjoyed the views and flew back. My daughter was a little shaken at the speed and challenging roads lol, first time she rode in the Acme.

Happy to note that three adults did fit easily on the front bench seat and three big dogs in the bed.

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
After the fox shocks were installed the friend took me out for a test ride. In about 15 minutes we were on a mountain top at 6000’ elevation overlooking my city above my home. Just flew over miles of rough road enjoyed the views and flew back. My daughter was a little shaken at the speed and challenging roads lol, first time she rode in the Acme.

Happy to note that three adults did fit easily on the front bench seat and three big dogs in the bed.
Pics
Or
It
Didn't
Happen!!!!
😂🤣😂

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I love 4wd’ing. I love exploring routes and remote wilderness.
Mrs Scoop loves being out on the trails and the adventures. She just doesn't want to drive.

Happy to hear that the Fox shocks are making such a positive improvement in your enjoyment of Acme! :)

advertisement