Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It depends what Your needs and desires are? What don't you like about the way your Pioneer performs? Do you get on the roadway, how fast will you operate it on tarmac, gravel and the trails or around your place? If you could design your Pioneer's suspension, what would you desire the machine doing that it doesn't currently? I prefer driving a little on the faster side. Whether on the trails, running through the farm or on the road heading into town for the mail, the little grocery or dine at one of the good boutique eateries in town. I wanted mine to handle as well as possible and have the ability to fine tune to find a happy medium between my intended usage. I took mine to TO23 and was very happy with my Pioneer's capabilities and ride. I drive mine on the backroads which are mostly paved but may hit a long gravel county road or long driveway. I enjoy rolling on and prefer not scrubbing speed in, through and out of corners, and if needing to get off the road quickly, I need something predictable doing so. Probably too much info, but if you're looking for a Cush ride and slow speeds, buy the cheap suspension. If wanting to play cat and mouse on the trail or hauling ass to town, get the good ones. I looked at everything, then narrowed my list. Lots of info on the forums including this one, plus ton's of info on YouTube. I bought ELKA 5s. They work for me considering I'm driving a Pioneer. Great machine, but never will it be a Talon.
Whoops another dummy, I bought the 5's also. Did Honda get rid of the self leveling beat you to death rear shocks? I wouldn't get the 5's unless you like to mess with shocks, I do.

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I went with the M1 RC shocks on the front and rear of my 2019 Pioneer 1000-5 DLX, it’s a vast improvement over stock. We aren’t pushing the limits to where we need the aggressive shocks. I am completely satisfied with these RC M1’s. For the price, they’re great. I was all about going with the 814’s but my budget (wife) was not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely agree with this statement. If your budget or wife(husband) wont allow it ,or you just dont want to spend the money buy the RC M1.

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
Whoops another dummy, I bought the 5's also. Did Honda get rid of the self leveling beat you to death rear shocks? I wouldn't get the 5's unless you like to mess with shocks, I do.
I used to really love messing with them too. Have revalved many shocks and forks. Now days I just want to buy them close enough and be able to use the clickers to get them where I want them

Reactions: Backwoods
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The OP be like…..

D

dweber23tr

May 21, 2023
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go with the fox qs3. It sounds like you don't really know how what you want other than what you have isn't working for you. The fox have 3 simple adjustments based on riding style and are a quality unit that you can use without a lot of messing around just to get started, but yet offer more adjustsbility with preload and different springs to makltch your riding style better, later when you know more about your machine and riding style.

NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went to the Ronayers website to price the Fox OEM shocks.

Can't tell if the price is each shock or the pair of front shocks and pair of rear shocks?

If its $800+++ each shock, that's a bit out of our budget right now....paying yearly property taxes on two homes this month :(

Last edited:
Reactions: WagginTail
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Can't tell if the price is each shock or the pair of front shocks and pair of rear shocks?

If its $800+++ each shock, that's a bit out of our budget right now....paying yearly property taxes on two homes this month :(
That should be for a pair. If you set up an account on Ron Ayers and add them to your cart the price should be lower. Also free shipping if you don't live in NC

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

can't hide money

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That should be for a pair. If you set up an account on Ron Ayers and add them to your cart the price should be lower. Also free shipping if you don't live in NC
No sales tax unless you live in NC.

I have the Fox QS3 on my '21 P1K5. I did swap the springs out for Viper linear springs (250 front/300 rear). If you're often hauling heavy gear, people, dogs, etc., you may be unhappy with the OE springs.

Reactions: WagginTail
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have the Fox QS3 on my '21 P1K5. I did swap the springs out for Viper linear springs (250 front/300 rear). If you're often hauling heavy gear, people, dogs, etc., you may be unhappy with the OE springs.
That's what it is... no sales tax. Thanks for the clarification @Scoop

NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I don’t know if it’s Q3 it just says Fox OEM for the new Pioneer? No QS3.

So you were not happy with the Fox on the Pioneer?

Deciding between Fox if affordable and Bandit 4.

Yes we always have 2 adults, 2 big dogs in back, the spare tire mounted in the hitch, and a 4500lb capacity winch in front plus recovery gear.

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I don’t know if it’s Q3 it just says Fox OEM for the new Pioneer? No QS3.

So you were not happy with the Fox on the Pioneer?
Stock shocks on my '21 P1K5 Deluxe were garbage.

This is what I ordered just about 2 years ago. Prices shows were per pair, so ~$1,400 for all four.

The front shocks were for the 1000-3 while the rear were for the 1000-5. It didn't matter to me, as I was swapping the springs out all the way around. I had waited almost 1 year on the part numbers for the 1000-5, as Fox wasn't building (enough of?) them for aftermarket.

Spring swap and install documented in my build thread starting here. After those were installed, I did swap out stock A-arms for SATV offset A-Arms, so I had to partially uninstall the shocks to do that. Detailed that a little starting here.

Prices show for springs are per spring, so about $330 for all four.

Front springs:

Rear springs:

NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you for all that information!

I’m wondering why you swapped out to different springs on the Fox? What was wrong with the springs that came with them?

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you for all that information!

I’m wondering why you swapped out to different springs on the Fox? What was wrong with the springs that came with them?
Assuming your responding to @Scoop post?
You didnt tag him or hit reply.
But ill give u my 2 cents whey I and many after me did it.

Most of the time if u are hauling more than the stock machine and 2 bodies they are too soft and can bottom out. too much pre load and you squish 1/2 the spring also. So a spring upgrade to your weight load makes all the difference.

Reactions: Scoop
NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Assuming your responding to @Scoop post?
You didnt tag him or hit reply.
But ill give u my 2 cents whey I and many after me did it.

Most of the time if u are hauling more than the stock machine and 2 bodies they are too soft and can bottom out. too much pre load and you squish 1/2 the spring also. So a spring upgrade to your weight load makes all the difference.
Oh, I hit reply this time lol. Thanks for teaching me that!

So that scares me and is probably over our skill level. What does bottom out mean? Preload?
The spare tire in back and two dogs is normal for us.

Maybe I should get the Bandit instead. Just worried they are too complicated for us.

Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh, I hit reply this time lol. Thanks for teaching me that!

So that scares me and is probably over our skill level. What does bottom out mean? Preload?
The spare tire in back and two dogs is normal for us.

Maybe I should get the Bandit instead. Just worried they are too complicated for us.

Ugh.
No Problem. The reply thing is so that person gets a notice like u did when u reply. Otherwise they my never know!

Bottom out is compessing the shock all the way to the bottom making a hard thud.

Preload is the top rings on the sock you can screw down to compress the spring to get lift or more tension in the shock.

Bandits are ok. But they limit u if you arent happy with the above or the ride in some ways. Some have done it, maybe Im been on the forum 8yrs too long but I dont like it. To me, spending the $$ I dont want to be stuck with the way it is. Foxes and Elkas give u that ability to improve them if u like.

Most likely u will be fine with the way foxes are out of the box. I was for 3 yrs till I added things, weight , people , dogs , gear etc. you will know when that time comes

Last edited:
Reactions: NevadaCC
NevadaCC

NevadaCC

Jul 13, 2024
Northern Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No Problem. The reply thing is so that person gets a notice like u did when u reply. Otherwise they my never know!

Bottom out is compessing the shock all the way to the bottom making a hard thud.

Preload is the top rings on the sock you can screw down to compress the spring to get lift or more tension in the shock.

Bandits are ok. But they limit u if you arent happy with the above or the ride in some ways. Some have done it, maybe Im been on the forum 8yrs too long but I dont like it. To me, spending the $$ I dont want to be stuck with the way it is. Foxes and Elkas give u that ability to improve them if u like.

Most likely u will be fine with the way foxes are out of the box. I was for 3 yrs till I added things, weight , people , dogs , gear etc. you will know when that time comes
OK, I ordered the Fox Shocks from Ronayers.com for anyone reading this....Right now they are just under $1500.00 free shipping.

Thank you so much everyone who responded.

TBH my husband doesn't think we need to upgrade the shocks and is grumpy about this, he thinks a ThrottleMaxx will fix me whining about the ride on rough roads lol! So I didn't really have such a problem with our previous P700 because we always went really slowww over everything. The P1000 just doesn't want to go slow and the bumps get bumpier at a faster pace.

I will update when we get these shocks and install them, including what the grumpy husband thinks :D

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
OK, I ordered the Fox from Ronayers.com for anyone reading this....Right now they are just under $1500.00 free shipping.

Thank you so much everyone who responded.

TBH my husband doesn't think we need to upgrade the shocks and is grumpy about this, he thinks a ThrottleMaxx will fix me whining about the ride on rough roads lol! So I didn't really have such a problem with our previous P700 because we always went really slowww over everything. The P1000 just doesn't want to go slow and the bumps get bumpier at a faster pace.

I will update when we get these shocks and install them, including what the grumpy husband thinks :D
Congrats on the purchase.

You will like the Throttle Max
I have one on both my rigs. The ole Lady likes it also

advertisement