p4 700 rattle noise

vdud123

vdud123

Sep 2, 2015
Central Florida USA
my 2015 p4 has this crazy rattle noise while cruising at a certain idle. it goes away once u give it gas or slow down. it sounds like something is loose but i cant find anything that is. its driving me crazy. anyone else have this issue or any suggestions?

Reactions: swsebek
advertisement
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
A couple things come to mind. A few people have said their dump bed latch rattles, others have had their door latches rattle. If you have a roof it probably rattles too! Usually this is fixed with wd-40 or adding rubber pads (even tape might work as a short term solution) to the suspected areas.

It could also be gear noise. Guys have put in different gear oil and reported a quieter ride. I hope this helps!

What else am I forgetting guys?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh another thought- could be exhaust heat shields. They attach with hose clamps, you may want to check and make sure they're tight.

vdud123

vdud123

Sep 2, 2015
Central Florida USA
Last thought, welcome to the club @vdud123!

thanks for the info and the welcome. i have a
wrapped the exhaust because that was my first thought of the noise. it seems like it could be the gears tho i have heard these have noisy gears. i may change the diff oil and see if that does anything. i will just have to crank the boss system up to drowned it out

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
How much riding time do I have on it. I had a rattle like u described twice. First time it was the skid plate. Second time it was my aftermarket a-arm guards.

Just some ideas.
Thanks.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
thanks for the info and the welcome. i have a
wrapped the exhaust because that was my first thought of the noise. it seems like it could be the gears tho i have heard these have noisy gears. i may change the diff oil and see if that does anything. i will just have to crank the boss system up to drowned it out
I THINK they are going to Royal Purple or Lucas oil synthetics, I don't recall the weight so someone feel free to chime in and straighten me out. As for your "plan B" solution of cranking up your stereo, that works too! I can't hear anything over my Yosh pipe!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bet its the rear brakes,they drive me crazy.......Stupid design on Hondas part.Mine chatters at cruising speed,The people that go with us look at me like"what the hell"

Reactions: Techboy and JACKAL
vdud123

vdud123

Sep 2, 2015
Central Florida USA
I bet its the rear brakes,they drive me crazy.......Stupid design on Hondas part.Mine chatters at cruising speed,The people that go with us look at me

yea that could be it. i will check on that when i get home from work today. its a hard to describe noise, its a rattle/grinding noise like something is loose. when i put my head down under there it sounds like its coming from all over the place so i cant pin point the issue with anything

vdud123

vdud123

Sep 2, 2015
Central Florida USA

yea that could be it. i will check on that when i get home from work today. its a hard to describe noise, its a rattle/grinding noise like something is loose. when i put my head down under there it sounds like its coming from all over the place so i cant pin point the issue with anything

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I bet its the rear brakes,they drive me crazy.......Stupid design on Hondas part.Mine chatters at cruising speed,The people that go with us look at me like"what the hell"

I get those same looks but my machines weren't making any noise, I am starting to get self conscious. I wonder what they are looking at?
Donotattempttobegodzillaonafourwheeler

Simpleman

Simpleman

Nov 19, 2014
Yuba City, California
I'm confident that it is your rear end gears making noise. Try riding the brakes when the noise is happening to take the "slop" out of the rear end and see if it goes away. More than likely it happens when there is no load on the gears kinda like free wheeling ... nasty sound for sure! I went to lucas synthetic gear oil 75-140 wt and it helped a lot. still happens but not near as bad. Also you can get noise from the door latches dump bed latches and tailgate latches.... I used rubber fuel hose for the contact points on the tailgate, electrical tape on the door strikers... it does wear out but cheap and easy to do again... and on the dump bed I've tried fuel hose and tape but it doesn't last long... This time I used 4 zip ties or some peeps call them cable ties on the dump bed striker to insulate the metal to metal sounds... so far works pretty good! Good luck to ya and welcome to the club!

Reactions: vdud123
vdud123

vdud123

Sep 2, 2015
Central Florida USA
I'm confident that it is your rear end gears making noise. Try riding the brakes when the noise is happening to take the "slop" out of the rear end and see if it goes away. More than likely it happens when there is no load on the gears kinda like free wheeling ... nasty sound for sure! I went to lucas synthetic gear oil 75-140 wt and it helped a lot. still happens but not near as bad. Also you can get noise from the door latches dump bed latches and tailgate latches.... I used rubber fuel hose for the contact points on the tailgate, electrical tape on the door strikers... it does wear out but cheap and easy to do again... and on the dump bed I've tried fuel hose and tape but it doesn't last long... This time I used 4 zip ties or some peeps call them cable ties on the dump bed striker to insulate the metal to metal sounds... so far works pretty good! Good luck to ya and welcome to the club!

yea i believe the issue is the front gears. it does it while cruising and when i applied the brake. but i popped it into 4 wheel drive and the noise instantly goes away. im guessing its the stress on the gears when its engadged that takes the noise away. thanks for the help i think i will be going to the new oil u were saying. i cant handle that noise any longer

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I hope your rear end is not making enough noise to drive you crazy,because then you have bigger problems.I still believe its your stock rear brakes,especially if its chatterlike grinding.mine does it with or without brakes on,does it even worse trying to coast down roads with engine off.I dont drive in 4wheel much so I havent noticed if it does it then or not.i just hope its not our gearss making that noise.

Last edited:
vdud123

vdud123

Sep 2, 2015
Central Florida USA
Well I hope your rear end is not making enough noise to drive you crazy,because then you have bigger problems.I still believe its your stock rear brakes,especially if its chatterlike grinding.mine does it with or without brakes on,does it even worse trying to coast down roads with engine off.I dont drive in 4wheel much so I havent noticed if it does it then or not.i just hope its not our gearss making that noise.

its not coming from the rear it sounds like its coming from the front gears like theres "slop" in there. it goes away soon as i lock the front gears in. and it only does it at the cruising speed. soon as i hit the gas or slow down it goes away.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
its not coming from the rear it sounds like its coming from the front gears like theres "slop" in there. it goes away soon as i lock the front gears in. and it only does it at the cruising speed. soon as i hit the gas or slow down it goes away.

You may want to check the fluid level or even change it out to a heavier weight gear oil, that seems to quieten the Honda differentials down as a general rule of thumb. Once I hit my first service period on my P500 I will also change out the fluid front and rear while I'm changing the engine oil.

Reactions: ohanacreek
vdud123

vdud123

Sep 2, 2015
Central Florida USA
You may want to check the fluid level or even change it out to a heavier weight gear oil, that seems to quieten the Honda differentials down as a general rule of thumb. Once I hit my first service period on my P500 I will also change out the fluid front and rear while I'm changing the engine oil.

im gonna change it to a heavier weight.anyone know how much gear oil the diffs hold?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
FYI, about 400 miles ago I used 50% 75-140 and 50% lucas oil. That did make it a lot thicker vs regular gear oil. It definitely quieted the gears down but after an hour of riding I can hear the noise coming back as the oil warms up and gets hot. It's still quieter than before though.
Joe

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!