P500 P500 compression

C

Crochetchance

Oct 15, 2021
New Iberia, La 70563
Ownership

1. 500
My p500 is smoking really bad I ran a compression test today and the gauge showed 125 on dry test and 130 on wet test is this good r should I be concerned I do not know what the compression should be and I don’t know anything about the bike as I picked it up used 2 weeks ago

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My p500 is smoking really bad I ran a compression test today and the gauge showed 125 on dry test and 130 on wet test is this good r should I be concerned I do not know what the compression should be and I don’t know anything about the bike as I picked it up used 2 weeks ago
I don't have the spec in front of me but can look in the shop manual tomorrow, that doesn't seem to be too far out of the normal range. Did you have the throttle wide open while you were cranking it for the comp test? That can make a big difference in the readings also.

More questions......
When is it smoking? At idle, on start up after sitting a while, under throttle, on deceleration? All can point to different issues.
What's the history of the machine? Miles/hours?
Has it ever been swamped, ingested water/mud?
What kind of oil are you using and has it been changed regularly? (it's not uncommon for synthetics to burn off a little)

For what it's worth, my '16 P5 had around 2500 miles of absolute hell......WFO just about everywhere, swamped several times and just beat to death in general. It would puff a little at start up after sitting a few days which points to bad valve seals and would've continued to run like that for many years. I only replaced them because I pulled the top end to do a big bore kit, the original cyl & piston still looked new. These engines can take a ton of abuse if properly maintained. It's now at about 4000 miles.

H

HondaTech

Compression means nothing concerning smoking. I've seen several machines have great Compression and run like a top all while smoking like trains.

The oil rings keep oil out of the chamber, the top rings build Compression.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Compression means nothing concerning smoking. I've seen several machines have great Compression and run like a top all while smoking like trains.

The oil rings keep oil out of the chamber, the top rings build Compression.
That's what I was getting at with my questions but a new member and this is the only post.......we'll see if he shows up again 🤷‍♂️

C

Crochetchance

Oct 15, 2021
New Iberia, La 70563
Ownership

1. 500
This is what it’s doing and I don’t know the history of it I just got it and trying to get it going thanks for the responses

C

Crochetchance

Oct 15, 2021
New Iberia, La 70563
Ownership

1. 500
I don't have the spec in front of me but can look in the shop manual tomorrow, that doesn't seem to be too far out of the normal range. Did you have the throttle wide open while you were cranking it for the comp test? That can make a big difference in the readings also.

More questions......
When is it smoking? At idle, on start up after sitting a while, under throttle, on deceleration? All can point to different issues.
What kind of oil are you using and has it been changed regularly? (it's not uncommon for synthetics to burn off a little)

For what it's worth, my '16 P5 had around 2500 miles of absolute hell......WFO just about everywhere, swamped several times and just beat to death in general. It would puff a little at start up after sitting a few days which points to bad valve seals and would've continued to run like that for many years. I only replaced them because I pulled the top end to do a big bore kit, the original cyl & piston still looked new. These engines can take a ton of abuse if properly maintained. It's now at about 4000 miles.
No I didn’t have the throttle wide open on either test. It smokes a little at start up but smokes a lot when accelerating. It runs really well

More questions......

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what it’s doing and I don’t know the history of it I just got it and trying to get it going thanks for the responses
I suspect you tried to post a video. You have to put it up on YouTube or similar first and then post the link here.

Reactions: trigger
advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
No I didn’t have the throttle wide open on either test. It smokes a little at start up but smokes a lot when accelerating. It runs really well
Piston

I'd suggest looking into a new set of piston rings at minimum, sounds like the oil rings have failed.
2015 Honda PIONEER 500 - SXS500M OEM Parts | MotoSport

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!