P500 P500 Shift Lever Heat

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
Not so big a deal this time of year but we've all felt that heat coming through the 2wd/4wd shifter hole. Feeling heat blowing in from behind the dash when it's 90 deg outside sucks and I swore I was going to do something about it a few times, just to throw it on the back burner and forget about it. Well when it's shi**y outside is when I get the time to play with stuff like this sooo...
Actually started playing with a pattern a couple months ago but it was a b**** with the knob on. @lee posted in another thread that some have gotten the knob off by heating it up, it worked! Used the wife's hair dryer while twisting and working it, ended up using a flat bar and putting a pc of 1x against the dash for leverage and prying up on it. Not exactly what I expected to see underneath, turns into a blade inside the handle. This made it easier to make a pattern though and kept it all one piece, allowing it to slip over the blade.
Here's a few pics...

View attachment 168410 View attachment 168411

Transferred that to some rubber I had laying around and used clear silicone to fasten it in place.

View attachment 168412

Has to be better than that big hole it had before. ;)
Great idea!!!! Is this a new product or do we have to copy it???

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Great idea!!!! Is this a new product or do we have to copy it???

If there's enough interest I may start making them. I've had some other ideas on how to perfect it so can't say the end product will look like this one. Putting it on with silicone means I can take it off if I need to and replace it with something better. I can't be the only one that's felt heat blowing through that hole?

S

snakeriver

Oct 11, 2018
Clarkston Wa
Ownership

1. 500
If there's enough interest I may start making them. I've had some other ideas on how to perfect it so can't say the end product will look like this one. Putting it on with silicone means I can take it off if I need to and replace it with something better. I can't be the only one that's felt heat blowing through that hole?
The heat does not bother me so much as the cold during the late fall and winter. I will wait to see what you come up with, put me down for one and we will give it a try....

C

CBpioneer

Jun 16, 2019
Cape Breton Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Now I need to figure out a way to make a full rubber shield behind the dash. Any of you that have been in serious water know what I'm talking about. Water rushes in from all over, the seam between upper and lower dash pieces, cup holders, reverse lever, holes through fire wall down by the pedals...don't know that it can be stopped but slowing it down or diverting it would be huge for me. Someday.
What about sealing with mono for the seam? Might help a bit

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Got the knob installed. Had to do a little work on the lever to get it to fit and where I wanted it. These specific knobs came in gold, silver and green but the green looked really tacky and cheap. Also cost twice as much, screw that! Bought a gold one, sanded it up a little bit and painted it satin black.

Fist Fist 2
Fist 1

Now I can give Old Ironsides a fist bump before sending him into hell! :D

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Got the knob installed. Had to do a little work on the lever to get it to fit and where I wanted it. These specific knobs came in gold, silver and green but the green looked really tacky and cheap. Also cost twice as much, screw that! Bought a gold one, sanded it up a little bit and painted it satin black.

View attachment 169274 View attachment 169275
View attachment 169276

Is that a Black Power knob or a tribute to Rock-em Sock-em Robots??

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 169274 View attachment 169275
View attachment 169276

I assumed he had already been to hell and back.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
figure out how to seal that up along with the reverse lever and it will be much warmer in winter. Summer with windshield down and doors off its not an issue when 0-20F the cold air screaming through both is hard to deal with even with doors and Tusk rear window.

C

Cal1953

Jan 27, 2019
Saskatchewan
Ownership

1. 500
Heck, I’m ready to do a Radiator shroud and boat bilge fan to funnel heat in the cab.
I'm with you Mudder, can always use more heat out here in Saskatchewan. Even running daytime this past summer, heat in cab area was not a problem.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
figure out how to seal that up along with the reverse lever and it will be much warmer in winter. Summer with windshield down and doors off its not an issue when 0-20F the cold air screaming through both is hard to deal with even with doors and Tusk rear window.

After doing the reverse lever mod I took a sheet of black neoprene rubber cut a square of it and covered the lever and opening. Used small black self-tapping screws on the edges like this
Imagesqtbn3AANd9GcQlO2 0e0m6HG2nURhRAgS41Sj1sBNz1o5K2qokuHmYVDnpUPxI
to seal it down. It works great and doesn't look half bad. It is very noticeable in the cold being able to block all that air that comes through.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I've been looking at that, just need to come up with something that looks acceptable.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Done. Visited it a while ago with the concept of shielding it from the backside. Went out there today with a different idea and it worked. This is all one piece and slips over the handle from the inside, tucks up in the hole then lays flat. It can't move in any direction the way it's cut and can't ride up either. The only thing I've noticed is if you operate the lever it will make it spin a little on the backside but if you don't use that lever anyway, it's positioned and sealed. Here's some pics...

Brake Lever Shield
Brake Lever Shield 1
Brake Shield
Brake Shield 1

You don't even see it unless you're looking for it. Friction fit, no adhesive, fasteners or tape and can be taken out if you choose. Install isn't terrible either, just stretch it over, stuff it in and manipulate the position. Obviously I haven't ridden it yet but the way this sits in there, it really can't fail.
Thanks for bringing it up Hillbilly! ;)

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Done. Visited it a while ago with the concept of shielding it from the backside. Went out there today with a different idea and it worked. This is all one piece and slips over the handle from the inside, tucks up in the hole then lays flat. It can't move in any direction the way it's cut and can't ride up either. The only thing I've noticed is if you operate the lever it will make it spin a little on the backside but if you don't use that lever anyway, it's positioned and sealed. Here's some pics...

View attachment 169463 View attachment 169466 View attachment 169467 View attachment 169468

You don't even see it unless you're looking for it. Friction fit, no adhesive, fasteners or tape and can be taken out if you chose. Install isn't terrible either, just stretch it over, stuff it in and manipulate the position. Obviously I haven't ridden it yet but the way this sits in there, it really can't fail.
Thanks for bringing it up Hillbilly! ;)
Another good use for Triggershield scraps!

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going back out now to look at the hole by the pedals. These 3 are the biggest holes through the dash and firewall. If I can seal them up, and in conjunction with the Trigger Shield...it'll be a different ride in terms of unwanted air coming in.
I was looking at pedal openings a couple weeks ago. Too cold that day to finalize a plan but I think my TS remnants will solve the problem. That chill goes right to your foot.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not so big a deal this time of year but we've all felt that heat coming through the 2wd/4wd shifter hole. Feeling heat blowing in from behind the dash when it's 90 deg outside sucks and I swore I was going to do something about it a few times, just to throw it on the back burner and forget about it. Well when it's shi**y outside is when I get the time to play with stuff like this sooo...
Actually started playing with a pattern a couple months ago but it was a b**** with the knob on. @lee posted in another thread that some have gotten the knob off by heating it up, it worked! Used the wife's hair dryer while twisting and working it, ended up using a flat bar and putting a pc of 1x against the dash for leverage and prying up on it. Not exactly what I expected to see underneath, turns into a blade inside the handle. This made it easier to make a pattern though and kept it all one piece, allowing it to slip over the blade.
Here's a few pics...

View attachment 168410 View attachment 168411

Transferred that to some rubber I had laying around and used clear silicone to fasten it in place.

View attachment 168412

Has to be better than that big hole it had before. ;)
Nice work!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Not only will it look better but it'll be a lot easier than cutting those little holes with a utility knife.
Exactly, and now that you’re going to be making them for the rest of us, you need a way to expedite the process.....:cool:

good work and nice innovation.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I'll be surprised if @trigger sheild scraps works on the hole around the pedals.
(Or at least ill bet if it dose there will be some honda engineer disapointed you foiled his life's work so easily).

Polaris has some cab air seal kits that consists of die cut foam.
Somthing with some thickness is needed to fill the gap.
I picked up some foam rubber weather strip.
I figure stick it to the metal plate on the frame to fill the gap to the plastic floor.
20191211 203019
(OK, it a sample a guy at work pulled out from under his desk)

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!