Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Not so big a deal this time of year but we've all felt that heat coming through the 2wd/4wd shifter hole. Feeling heat blowing in from behind the dash when it's 90 deg outside sucks and I swore I was going to do something about it a few times, just to throw it on the back burner and forget about it. Well when it's shi**y outside is when I get the time to play with stuff like this sooo...
Actually started playing with a pattern a couple months ago but it was a b**** with the knob on. @lee posted in another thread that some have gotten the knob off by heating it up, it worked! Used the wife's hair dryer while twisting and working it, ended up using a flat bar and putting a pc of 1x against the dash for leverage and prying up on it. Not exactly what I expected to see underneath, turns into a blade inside the handle. This made it easier to make a pattern though and kept it all one piece, allowing it to slip over the blade.
Here's a few pics...

Shifter Hole 1 Shifter Knob

Transferred that to some rubber I had laying around and used clear silicone to fasten it in place.

Shifter Hole

Has to be better than that big hole it had before. ;)

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Not so big a deal this time of year but we've all felt that heat coming through the 2wd/4wd shifter hole. Feeling heat blowing in from behind the dash when it's 90 deg outside sucks and I swore I was going to do something about it a few times, just to throw it on the back burner and forget about it. Well when it's shi**y outside is when I get the time to play with stuff like this sooo...
Actually started playing with a pattern a couple months ago but it was a b**** with the knob on. @lee posted in another thread that some have gotten the knob off by heating it up, it worked! Used the wife's hair dryer while twisting and working it, ended up using a flat bar and putting a pc of 1x against the dash for leverage and prying up on it. Not exactly what I expected to see underneath, turns into a blade inside the handle. This made it easier to make a pattern though and kept it all one piece, allowing it to slip over the blade.
Here's a few pics...

View attachment 168410 View attachment 168411

Transferred that to some rubber I had laying around and used clear silicone to fasten it in place.

View attachment 168412

Has to be better than that big hole it had before. ;)
Nice!!!

Reactions: Mudwing and trigger
Lilred500

Lilred500

Keep it on the rubber side
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2019
Wv
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve contemplated taking an old piece of mining belt and cutting out for one just deciding on a way to attach great mod @trigger you did it again brother!

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
@trigger heat up your drill bit with a torch to get those holes perfect round man. we all know it bothers you....

Seriously tho, I was doing something similar on my wife’s arctic cat and found that a spent 9mm brass heated up and pounded with a hammer makes a great rubber hole-punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: trigger and Eltobgi
UpnorthP5

UpnorthP5

Sep 23, 2018
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 500
This made it easier to make a pattern though and kept it all one piece, allowing it to slip over the blade.

Just a thought now that you have the pattern made it looks the rubber piece would slip over the knob with out taking it off??

Did you push the rubber piece through from the front?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
@trigger heat up your drill bit with a torch to get those holes perfect round man. we all know it bothers you....

Seriously tho, I was doing something similar on my wife’s arctic cat and found that a spent 9mm brass heated up and pounded with a hammer makes a great rubber hole-punch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been pointed out to me before but I blew it off not knowing I'd be working with this stuff as much as I have and it does bug the hell out of me, for the holes in the Trigger Shield too. As I was looking at my own pic last night I said screw it and ordered a punch kit, from 1/8" to 3/4". Not only will it look better but it'll be a lot easier than cutting those little holes with a utility knife. Thanks though. ;)

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This made it easier to make a pattern though and kept it all one piece, allowing it to slip over the blade.

Just a thought now that you have the pattern made it looks the rubber piece would slip over the knob with out taking it off??

Did you push the rubber piece through from the front?

The rubber is sitting out front in the recessed area and just slipped over the rod. I doubt it will go over the knob though, one small cut at the bottom hole and it'll still go on without removing the knob.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
It's been pointed out to me before but I blew it off not knowing I'd be working with this stuff as much as I have and it does bug the hell out of me, for the holes in the Trigger Shield too. As I was looking at my own pic last night I said screw it and ordered a punch kit, from 1/8" to 3/4". Not only will it look better but it'll be a lot easier than cutting those little holes with a utility knife. Thanks though. ;)

Just busting yer chops bud! Youre right, a steel punch set would be the way to go. I need one myself....

Speaking of which, any shields in stock? I need one sumthin fierce. Was wondering if you could divulge where you get your rubber sheets from. I wanna make one for my wife’s prowler.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Just busting yer chops bud! Youre right, a steel punch set would be the way to go. I need one myself....

Speaking of which, any shields in stock? I need one sumthin fierce. Was wondering if you could divulge where you get your rubber sheets from. I wanna make one for my wife’s prowler.

Yeah, I have a couple on hand ready to go. I'm not buying rubber sheets, I'm buying rubber rolls. They're frickin expensive and heavy as hell. 10' long so I cut them in half with a sawzall and roll them into the garage. Cheapest sheet I've seen for the same rubber I'm using was $100 for a 10' x 10' piece.
Just PM me when you're ready.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
This noob has to confess to being confused. What in the front of the machine is generating enough heat to be problematic through that spot?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
“It Never Ends”. Trigger the inventor. Good choice on the hole punches.

Lol, you were the one that brought it up a while back, should've ordered them up then. They're not exactly hideous being cut with a utility knife but the punch will be much cleaner.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This noob has to confess to being confused. What in the front of the machine is generating enough heat to be problematic through that spot?

Yes, heat from the radiator. I never really noticed it until I started running the shield, which has been a few years for me now. With most of the heat coming from that area you don't really notice how much comes through the dash hole. Most guys welcome it this time of year but when it's hot as hell outside, any added heat is just annoying. After feeling it again last summer, I was just over it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Now I need to figure out a way to make a full rubber shield behind the dash. Any of you that have been in serious water know what I'm talking about. Water rushes in from all over, the seam between upper and lower dash pieces, cup holders, reverse lever, holes through fire wall down by the pedals...don't know that it can be stopped but slowing it down or diverting it would be huge for me. Someday.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!