P500 tipping point

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Um, but "gravity" is not a constant. If the sensor is pointing to the highest force, that will include so-called "centrifugal force." If you were to read an inclinometer inside a NASCAR racer at speed in turn 3 at Daytona, it would point straight at the incline or maybe higher, not to the ground.

I understand these complexities, I understand the so-called, "Pucker Factor" (boy do I, boats, snowmobiles, whatever, it's always there). But from my experience, I think I'm being a bit too cautious. One sits relatively high in the P-500, and I think that gives a false sense of tippy-dread (to coin a phrase). I'd like to know more about the machine's true limits without having to break it to find them.

Finally... Dude, what's with the insult in your last line? Did you really need to include that? "Fire roads" are... just roads, where I come from. I bought a SxS because it should be able to do things and go places that the stuff I already have can't. The terrain I live with is challenge enough, it's not about trying to see how stuck I can get in and then out, it's about going places and seeing things, maybe shooting at some food, BTW, without expectation of support. I don't have rich friends with big equipment to pull me out when I get stupid. That big equipment wouldn't be able to get where I got stuck anyway. Also, with no cell phone access, I couldn't even ask for help.
When I go out, I expect to be on my own. I intend to return on my own. I need to know the capabilities and limitations of my equipment.

Garmin makes a satellite communicator (InReach) that can be useful for getting a message out when out of celll phone range. It does have a low monthly fee, but if one is in a really bad way it can bring help via an SOS button. You can also use it to send and receive emails/texts to loved ones in case you don't have an emergency situation. I carry one even when in a group in case a serious situation comes up. They are pretty small so easy to carry. I'm not advertising for them, just offering a safety suggestion. They pair with a cell phone for ease in preparing messages.

FlyingPot8oh

FlyingPot8oh

Oct 31, 2020
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Garmin makes a satellite communicator (InReach) that can be useful for getting a message out when out of celll phone range. It does have a low monthly fee, but if one is in a really bad way it can bring help via an SOS button. You can also use it to send and receive emails/texts to loved ones in case you don't have an emergency situation. I carry one even when in a group in case a serious situation comes up. They are pretty small so easy to carry. I'm not advertising for them, just offering a safety suggestion. They pair with a cell phone for ease in preparing messages.

"Spot" is another service. It was used in both The Yukon Quest and Iditarod sled dog races with limited success.
GPS is a great boon. So is mobile phone technology. However, I suspect if I were to rely on them, rather than use them as a supplement, I would likely find myself in grave peril eventually.
Where I live, safety isn't within the easy reach of simply pressing a button.
Also, I greatly resent that a paid service seems to put my basic safety at the root of their business model. Maybe it's just me, but, "trust me or you'll die" doesn't make for good salesmanship.

R

rickoshea

"Spot" is another service. It was used in both The Yukon Quest and Iditarod sled dog races with limited success.
GPS is a great boon. So is mobile phone technology. However, I suspect if I were to rely on them, rather than use them as a supplement, I would likely find myself in grave peril eventually.
Also, I greatly resent that a paid service seems to put my basic safety at the root of their business model. Maybe it's just me, but, "trust me or you'll die" doesn't make for good salesmanship.
topo map and a compass will never let you down,and it's not hard to figure it out.it's been working for me for over 30 years.

FlyingPot8oh

FlyingPot8oh

Oct 31, 2020
Fairbanks, Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
topo map and a compass will never let you down,and it's not hard to figure it out.it's been working for me for over 30 years.

Only 30? I guess I'm no longer a spring chicken. ;P

Topo maps can also be out of date, or recorded inaccurately in the first place. Oh, 20 years ago, USGS maps were undergoing a big update around here. It turns out the footprint of many small lakes and ponds were inaccurate. At the time, "Global Warming" seemed to be an easy scapegoat. Maybe. But maybe where you define a shoreline is subjective. Is a muddy swamp water or land? Look at old maps of East Anglia in Britain, and you will be terribly confused, depending on the map. Is Ely an island, or a hill?

I remember when GPS whiz-bang stuff was coming out... but not for us high latitude folks. It's pretty great, but there are limits. A while back I was watching a youtuber in Japan who was on a great bicycle trek. He was in his 30's, and was flabbergasted as to why anyone would buy a road map at a gas station. Just use your phone! Well... He was from the London suburbs, and living in Japan. A product of his environment, I guess.

R

rickoshea

you do need a modicum of common sense when you rely on a topo map.if you see lake,expect swamp.if you know how to interpret one,it works well,regardless of it's age.it also helps to have indian radar.

B

Bruce4795

Dec 12, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
There are a few more services available now as well. I guess to each his own! I also use amateur radio as a contact method, but if things are really bad, the satellite device is easier to use and faster. I wish you well up north....enjoy those northern lights!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!