P700m4 P700 compression

T

Thomas88

Feb 17, 2019
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello.
I bought a pioneer 700-4 a little over a year ago and have about 850 miles on it. I’ve noticed over the last few months that the engine oil smells pretty “gassy”. I changed the oil, but it continues to smells like that. I was wondering if anyone knows what the compression is supposed to be at for this engine so I can perform a compression test on it. At least that way I can rule out bad piston rings (or perhaps that’s the problem).
Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Russ989
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello.
I bought a pioneer 700-4 a little over a year ago and have about 850 miles on it. I’ve noticed over the last few months that the engine oil smells pretty “gassy”. I changed the oil, but it continues to smells like that. I was wondering if anyone knows what the compression is supposed to be at for this engine so I can perform a compression test on it. At least that way I can rule out bad piston rings (or perhaps that’s the problem).
Thanks for the help.

80 PSI. Make sure you hold the throttle wide open, and your battery is cranking over good.

Leaky injector?
Have you checked the air filter to make sure it isn't clogged up?

Reactions: Russ989
T

Thomas88

Feb 17, 2019
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 700-4
I just checked the air filter today. Thank you for the information. I will be sure to check compression ASAP. Never considered a leaking injector. Thanks again

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello.
Thanks for the help.

I smell gas every now and then on mine, it’s done it since new and I think it’s the gas tank venting. Mine rolled over 617 miles today FYI.

T

Thomas88

Feb 17, 2019
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 700-4
I finally got around to checking the compression tonight. I did it with engine at (or close to) operating temperature. I got 115psi after four compression strokes, so all seems good there. I am wondering about the injector though. Perhaps it is leaking after I shut it off.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I finally got around to checking the compression tonight. I did it with engine at (or close to) operating temperature. I got 115psi after four compression strokes, so all seems good there. I am wondering about the injector though. Perhaps it is leaking after I shut it off.

It's easy enough to pull and see.

You're the 2nd guy with higher than listed compression. My spec was from a 2014 FSM. Wonder if the newer ones have more compression?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It's easy enough to pull and see.

You're the 2nd guy with higher than listed compression. My spec was from a 2014 FSM. Wonder if the newer ones have more compression?
Der!
I just realized what a silly comment I made. The 80 psi is probably a minimum spec.

T

Thomas88

Feb 17, 2019
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 700-4
No problem. I assumed it was minimum spec anyway. I really appreciate the info.

Reactions: DG Rider
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!