P700 P700 stripped axle threads

S

SXS12345

Mar 26, 2019
louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Howdy, was replacing the outboard rear cv boot on my machine, went to reinstall the castle nut on the axle and stripped the threads on the axle. ( looking at the hub my thought was the castle but would pull up on to the axle but it never really got tight) anywho before I go buy a new axle I’m going to try and just rethread the axle end. That being said does anyone know the thread size or if this can even be done with a die? Thanks.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dude... how the H did you do that. Lol

I'm sure it could be re-tapped. But I'm concern because it's a fairly important spot not to be 100% correct.

Sorry. I don't know the thread sizing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Backwoods and lee
S

SXS12345

Mar 26, 2019
louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Dude... how the H did you do that. Lol

I'm sure it could be re-tapped. But I'm concern because it's a fairly important spot not to be 100% correct.

Sorry. I don't know the thread sizing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Impact LOL the nut wouldn’t get tight, and looking at the hub my thought was this nut will pull the axle in to the hub and seat it. But apparently not I guess it just snugs up and that’s it. Disclaimer I’ve never done this job before. I will have a torque wrench next time and just do it by hand.

Reactions: Smitty335
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honestly, a die large enough to recut the threads would probably fall under the "specialty" moniker, meaning you can't pick one up at the average tool store...meaning $$$. Local machine shop could probably do it. It might be less hassle to just get a aftermarket axle for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Backwoods
S

SXS12345

Mar 26, 2019
louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honestly, a die large enough to recut the threads would probably fall under the "specialty" moniker, meaning you can't pick one up at the average tool store...meaning $$$. Local machine shop could probably do it. It might be less hassle to just get a aftermarket axle for it.
I was able to find a axle thread repair kit at a local tool supply house, axle threads are M20x1.0, chased threads and will reinstall tomorrow. Nut goes on easy. The kit was 85$.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was able to find a axle thread repair kit at a local tool supply house, axle threads are M20x1.0, chased threads and will reinstall tomorrow. Nut goes on easy. The kit was 85$.
Excellent!

Reactions: Smitty335
S

SXS12345

Mar 26, 2019
louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
What's this axle repair kit look like?
Made by KD Tools

04EB118A 8885 4911 805D A7CEAC7A4FFC

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!