Paint coming off

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Anyone having trouble with paint coming off the frame. I know I struck the bottom a few times before I had the skidplate.

I've had a lot of honda trikes and quads and used them for a lot of years before seeing this happen.
I'll fix it with epoxy primer and paint and look at some rock guards I guess.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Forgot the pictures.... Ee635e3aa0415d9e4dd090d74a79fd116e66968c12a0bfef8b8c823901c58e6f

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
MAN ! Thats awful . I would move

Reactions: WillB
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
BUMMER. Definitely get that covered up.

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'm a couple miles from the Atlantic. The bike see VERY limited road use in winter.
What gets me is that other Honda ATVs I have, a 99 2000 and 2006 don't have this problem and they see way more road use.
I'll repair it no problem... Just wanted to throw it out there

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Anyone having trouble with paint coming off the frame. I know I struck the bottom a few times before I had the skidplate.

I've had a lot of honda trikes and quads and used them for a lot of years before seeing this happen.
I'll fix it with epoxy primer and paint and look at some rock guards I guess.

They aren't prepping the metal before either powdercoating or painting. The funny thing is everybody thinks powdercoating is the ultimate finish, and in reality it's not that great. I've never believed in not using a primer on bare metal, because that's what gives it corrosion resistance. Powdercoating uses no primer, therefore no corrosion resistance once the finish is chipped, scratched, or gouged.
The other thing that really sucks is the junk paint Honda uses on control arms, etc. It's just cheap industrial paint that has no UV resistance, so it chalks/fades in short order when sitting in the sun.
They have gotten so cheap and greedy, that they are just slopping new machines together for maximum profit.

advertisement
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Powder coating done right will way out perform primer/paint. I've been involved in a bunch of salt spray testing and have seen power coat beat out stainless steel up to around 1000 hours.

Reactions: swsebek
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1000 has similar paint chipping and peeling.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Is it from..salt...put on roads
...In winter....
sliding on rocks....?
Not good...I'm not having
paint problems.....that's the 1st
..I've heard..

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is it from..salt...put on roads
...In winter....
sliding on rocks....?
Not good...I'm not having
paint problems.....that's the 1st
..I've heard..

Mine is flaking off. Never seen salt. I'm guessing some thing chips the paint and it gets water under the coating and corrosion causes more to flake off

Reactions: chrisC
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
They aren't prepping the metal before either powdercoating or painting. The funny thing is everybody thinks powdercoating is the ultimate finish, and in reality it's not that great. I've never believed in not using a primer on bare metal, because that's what gives it corrosion resistance. Powdercoating uses no primer, therefore no corrosion resistance once the finish is chipped, scratched, or gouged.
The other thing that really sucks is the junk paint Honda uses on control arms, etc. It's just cheap industrial paint that has no UV resistance, so it chalks/fades in short order when sitting in the sun.
They have gotten so cheap and greedy, that they are just slopping new machines together for maximum profit.

QC problem...at Honda
$6 an hour....people don't care
...looks like to me.....

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Mine is flaking off. Never seen salt. I'm guessing some thing chips the paint and it gets water under the coating and corrosion causes more to flake off
Maybe...
don't know your riding
...conditions. .or your style
of riding...seems to be...
underneath. ..on bottom

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Powder coating done right will way out perform primer/paint. I've been involved in a bunch of salt spray testing and have seen power coat beat out stainless steel up to around 1000 hours.

It's too bad they won't step up and pay to do it the right way. Honda got too "Americanized" and they do stuff the lazy, cheap way.

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'm thinking along the lines of TodACimer. It gets chipped or scraped and it takes over from there. Poor adhesion looks like a problem here. Salt will rust the exposed metal for sure. But why does the covering let go? Because of a scratch or chip? It's lifting and coming off in pieces.
I've got a 99 fourtrax 300 that my 3 boys grew up on and abused year round... It shows no issues like this.
Something honda is doing has changed I'm guessing

Reactions: elkguide
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm thinking along the lines of TodACimer. It gets chipped or scraped and it takes over from there. Poor adhesion looks like a problem here. Salt will rust the exposed metal for sure. But why does the covering let go? Because of a scratch or chip? It's lifting and coming off in pieces.
I've got a 99 fourtrax 300 that my 3 boys grew up on and abused year round... It shows no issues like this.
Something honda is doing has changed I'm guessing

I'm with you on the "new and better" idea. I've had Honda since my first Honda road bike, (a 1970 350), through many other on & off road bikes, through the various 3 wheeler stages, (just sold my last 3 1985 Big Reds that I had saved for some reason), and still have a 2006 Foreman that has been well ridden, (my grandchildren were just here for a week and put 54 miles on it and never left my lawn!) but I have never seen any paint release like that on a Honda.
We have lots of salt applied to our roads here in the winter and the state has just switched to a brine mixture on the roads and you will find most vehicles that travel those winter roads with paint releasing in chunks like that but it shouldn't happen without some issue like brine getting into a crack. For a rig like a Pioneer to do that, it would appear like there was poor preparation of the metal or the metal quality itself was so poor that it caused the paint to lose it's adhesion to the metal.

Reactions: chrisC
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Being the in the heavy truck industry I've seen some wild things with corrision. Those brine mixes are nasty. The liquid chemical deicers they use on bridges are brutal. I've read of semi's having differentials rot so bad they needed replaced in 5 years. Never use the pin prick probes on your multi-meter when troubleshooting on your vehicles. Those liquids will start wires corroding though that pin hole. I've seen corrosion travel 10" from the pin hole up the insulation. :(

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!