Paint coming off

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
And don't get me going on fasteners.....

Reactions: Mudder
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Anything that's going to be powdercoated needs to be shot blasted / sand blasted or chemically etched. Going over smooth, shiny bare metal with powdercoating is a big mistake.
Maybe Honda will learn a lesson if they get to do a recall or warranty replacement on a bunch of them. Worst part is that the machines are usually off warranty by the time the issues show up.

Reactions: chrisC and swsebek
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what I mean by paint chipping

Under the bed. There's light surface contact between the rubber bed isolator and this part of the frame. Instead of paint wear I have paint chipping off well beyond the contact area
IMG 20170903 133855

IMG 20170903 134858915

Or this front a-arm
IMG 20170903 133910

Last edited:
Reactions: chrisC
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don't think the paint on the pioneer 1000 is very good. I had to repaint some of the upper roll cage because the paint was coming off.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Just no excuse for their cheap a$$ manufacturing methods. I remember hearing many years ago that hardly anybody in Alaska would buy a Polaris because of a similar issue. They had problems with frames rusting out, because of not coating the insides, and also adhesion issues on the outside.

H

HondaTech

I remeber when the Big Red frist xame out and we started seeing paint wore on the frames. The black seemed to have a primer underneath in a off white or gray. Dont think ive noticed this on any Pioneer or atv for that matter.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know some people who are in deep grass all the time have raw steel a-arms on their 700's that stuff is abrasive. I ran gravel at Windrock and their was a LOT of paint knocked off the front of my rear a-arms and my HDPE a-arm guards were pockmarked as hell.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!