P500 Painted my rims body color...

P

PNWGuy

Since it was only 107 degrees here, decided to paint the stock rims a bright red and see what I thought.

I'm on the fence... I only did the driver's side in case I didn't care for it.

I don't know, I kind of like it; makes the bigger tires really stand out. But I imagine they will get chipped up and beat and look pretty ratty after a few more trail runs.

What do you guys think?

J6Z5IgWJNhJLwfv5FbqJmRccG6lSCmYBLgLoKmw5B opX92IB

5O4p0JY2qHJ1UAuA6v3MW0UCdOZqWvfW2n8Lf7nuGagpX92IB

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Since it was only 107 degrees here, decided to paint the stock rims a bright red and see what I thought.

I don't know, I kind of like it; makes the bigger tires really stand out. But I imagine they will get chipped up and beat and look pretty ratty after a few more trail runs.

What do you guys think?

View attachment 83471

View attachment 83472
Well you asked . I don't like them . I think plain black looks better .

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

What do you guys think?

View attachment 83471

View attachment 83472
I've always thought, about having the stock rims chromed?????

I

Ichybod

Apr 25, 2015
Tucson, Arizona
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3

What do you guys think?

View attachment 83471

View attachment 83472
I like the look. Couple questions: 1) Did you remove the tire and paint the whole rim or just tape off the tire and painted rim with the tire on? 2) What is the specific color and brand of the paint?

Thanks

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I've always thought, about having the stock rims chromed?????
That might work.

I was looking at a thread the other day about new rims and lug nuts and how difficult it can be to tighten them down and the thought hit me to use spiked lug nuts without the spike tips(use SS button head bolts) to hold on some custom stainless steel disc's cut to fit right inside the rim but then I'd worry about snapping off a lug nut, oh well another 1 of 100 bad idea's I have.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That might work.

I was looking at a thread the other day about new rims and lug nuts and how difficult it can be to tighten them down and the thought hit me to use spiked lug nuts without the spike tips(use SS button head bolts) to hold on some custom stainless steel disc's cut to fit right inside the rim but then I'd worry about snapping off a lug nut, oh well another 1 of 100 bad idea's I have.
I worked for a guy that pulled his decked out Jeep with his motor home, he asked me one day if I had any ideas how to make the bumper bracket match his bumper, simple, have them chromed, it turned out nice.

P

PNWGuy

I like the look. Couple questions: 1) Did you remove the tire and paint the whole rim or just tape off the tire and painted rim with the tire on? 2) What is the specific color and brand of the paint?

Thanks
I just taped off the rim. Roughed up the paint with a scotch pad power wheel and sprayed them using regular old Krylon bright red from Wally World for $4 a can. Was not impressed with the paint; ran easily and took a lot of lighter coats to get it to look good. Will use a different flavor for the other side.

Reactions: 500oneer
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
FYI, easiest way to paint wheels without dismounting your tire is using index cards or playing cards around bead versus taping tires off.View attachment 83729

Could've used that trick a few times in the past. I've painted white trailer wheels black several times and went through the pita of taping them off. Now you tell me! Thanks Vaden.

Reactions: Vaden01
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

What do you guys think?

View attachment 83471

View attachment 83472
I like it! Black center caps would look good also. I think I would paint the front bumper and winch guard red also. :)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
C

Caleb

Jan 16, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks pretty cool to me. I think you are right with just the spray paint they will get beat up after a while but if you decide you really like it and want to keep it you could always have them powder coated. I agree that you need something in the center like a cap. The winch bar in red would look pretty good too.

Reactions: Mudwing and trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!