JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Anyone recommend a decent spray paint to use for the A-arms? I was thinking of using caliper paint but can't seem to find the right "red". Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone recommend a decent spray paint to use for the A-arms? I was thinking of using caliper paint but can't seem to find the right "red". Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Honestly I have done some pretty good stuff on my tractor restorations using a good rustoleum paint for outdoor furniture on odd items like rear tractor rims.

on the factory a-rms that appear to be powder coated....it will be important to scuff up the surface so the paint can bite into something. Green scotch brite should be enough.

unfortunately the spray paint won’t be so durable and will show the under color in short order.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Honestly I have done some pretty good stuff on my tractor restorations using a good rustoleum paint for outdoor furniture on odd items like rear tractor rims.

on the factory a-rms that appear to be powder coated....it will be important to scuff up the surface so the paint can bite into something. Green scotch brite should be enough.

unfortunately the spray paint won’t be so durable and will show the under color in short order.
SATV arms don't appear to be powder coated. I know they will get wore out underneath, that's y I figured a spray paint and I can touch up if needed.
20210207 184538
20210207 184542

Im taking them down to the metal where I can as much as I can and hand sanding the rest. Thinking a good primer and a decent rattle can would do ok.

I've used the caliper paint on quite a few things before and it holds up to abuse good, but the closest red I've found is a bit or a dark orange next to the honda red

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Plumber32 painted his. They seam to have held up well last time we rode together. Maybe he can pipe in as to what he used.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you can bring to to all bare metal, A cold galvanizing primer would be a great “primer”. You might have to touch up the top coat of red every so often, but the zinc in the cold galvaning compound really stops rust.

I’ve painted a few plows I’ve made from scratch with it, and they don’t have any rust. The color sprayed on top wears off but you can just scuff it lightly and re top coat it.

JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Also, heat them in an oven to about 100 degrees f before you spray the cold galvanizing compound. It opens up the pores of the metal and lets the zinc soak in.
And spray them while hot?

Originally I wanted to powder coat them but unless I media blast them I don't think I can get them clean enough

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yup. Cold galvanizing is a rough finish anyway and you have to sand lightly (like 240 grit) the little dust off. Not more that 100 degrees though, it will bubble too much and make more work sanding.

The heat makes it almost as durable as powder coating. But unlike powder coating, the scratches won’t rust unless they are very deep.

The downfall is that it only comes in gray.

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yup. Cold galvanizing is a rough finish anyway and you have to sand lightly (like 240 grit) the little dust off. Not more that 100 degrees though, it will bubble too much and make more work sanding.

The heat makes it almost as durable as powder coating. But unlike powder coating, the scratches won’t rust unless they are very deep.

The downfall is that it only comes in gray.
Thanks! I'll look into that

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 253427
Try this primer. Supposed to bond to bare metal better than normal primer. There are a few good videos on YouTube about it

I used this on my DIY bumper for my truck. Then used raptor liner over the top of it. Works great. I think you can color the raptor liner as well.

This is the only photo I could find currently. It is the brown truck.

Polish 20211009 083058527

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
https://amazon.com/Raptor-Tintable-Urethane-Spray-Liters/dp/B09F4J4T7Q/?tag=sxsweb24-20

You can pay extra for pre mixed colors otherwise you can get clear and have a local shop add color.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!